Orb with more throw

kevinm

Enlightened
I got a couple of Orb Raws with the LuxeonIII recently and had a problem. One of the reflectors had a fingerprint on it. When I wiped the print off, the coating came off the reflector too! It turns out that the reflector is solid aluminum, but has a coating to which the reflective texture is added (and it's an ugly yellow).

Being a bit disappointed, I sanded the reflector with 800 grit paper until the coating was removed. Then, I polished the reflector with a Dremmel tool to a mirror polish. The focal point was off for my LED (non-joker, I guess). Sanding the spacer by hand also, I got the focus right. Now, it has something like twice the previous throw; the hotspot is smaller and brighter with significantly less sidespill. Total time was 30 minutes or so. On high, the mod makes the TXOH white emitter have enough throw to be clearly visible in the hotspot of the red one!

I'll post picks if you all want them. Also, I don't know that this will be good with a Cree due to the smaller angle of light emitted.

Kevin

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Will do, probably later tonight. I like the signature line; I share your saddness!:grin2:

Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
Okay guys, here's the photo shoot. Both pics were taken with the same camera and light 6" from the wall. The first is the smooth reflector:

and here's the same engine and body with the stock reflector:

The camera distance changed (because I suck), but the light is in the same position both times. Notice the hotspot to carona ratio; more throw! Thanks for looking.

Kevin

Last edited: