What do you wish your light could do?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got lots of lights that do so many things... but if I had my wish...

I wish my lights were infinitely variable in brightness.

Learjet

Enlightened
carbine15 said:
I wish my lights were infinitely variable in brightness.

Me too, from 1 to 100,000 lumens in a flashlight the size of an AAA battery that runs for 1 year on high and stays cool.

I don't want much really. :whistle:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I wish mine were brighter then the sun yet could be tuned to a barely visible glow. A variable beam pattern gives me what I need, super throw or super flood or anywhere in between. Can change color and has the full spectrum of light, runs forever and is absurdly tough and the abiility to withstand any enviroment (water, lava, space...). Size, variable, depends on my needs. Produces heat only when needed.

Not to mention the ability to predict and produce the exact amount of light I need.

Of course, it is not possible to make a light like that, not now at least.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
I'd just want it to be:
  • Built like a tank with extra thick metal
  • HIII and pineapple grip that shreds your pockets
  • Really waterproof
  • Runs on AA Lithium, NiMh, or alkalines
  • Forward clicky switch with momentary/on/off/lockout
  • made in USA
The closest thing yet is the Inova Bolt series.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That the price on all production flashlight to be lowered down at least 75%. Then at least everyone would be able to own them.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I'm pretty happy with three of my most used lights: SSC-modded HDS Basic42 (though I wish it had an easily accessible momentary mode), Jetbeam C-LE (I wish it could run completely safely on 14500s which is the only way I run it and I wish the LOW mode was still low on 14500s) and my 2C UW0K/nFlex/18650 Mag with a Mc 27L reflector (though I will swap the UW0K out for a USW0H SSC when I get some more in).

To be honest, the possibility of 'brighter' is always better with a multi level light but the lights I have are as bright as I need. I wish lights could have some decent range of focus... the ability to throw a floodier beam without having to use a beamshaper or something similar.

Even if the range of focal adjustment wasn't extreme... something that went from, say a 2" hotspot @ 12" distance to a 4" hotspot @ 12" would be very nice.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, light travels at the speed of—

. . .how about turn back time so I can start over again? This time doing things better!

Illum

Flashaholic
  • titanium reinforced carbon fiber honeycomb [strong, yet compact]
  • lithium powered
  • made in USA
  • the ability to extend like a baton [a pocketable light that works like a 6D mag when you need a club]
  • Waterproof and floats
  • Bay for storing extra cells

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Be the size of a JetBeam, run on a single AA, and be brighter AND cheaper than a 3-6 D maglite.

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
I wish my light could last 4 hours, be as bright as my ROP, have variable brightness settings, no strobe or SOS, and be no bigger than a Jetbeam CL-E. Oh yeah, and go to work for me on Mondays.

Jefff

Enlightened
I wish mine could light stuff on fire lol .. or maybe put out street lights thinking it was lightning and tripping the eye.. or maybe have baby lights that would grow up and be brighter than the parent lights.. But mostly I also wish they would Spawn $100 dollar bills too.. :grin2:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

TOOCOOL said:
I wish mine could make the car in front of me dissapear :laughing:

Then it's your lucky day! They can!!!!
Just turn the beam around so it's shining straight in your eyes... it'll make EVERYTHING in front of you disappear (at least for a while)! :D

Best wishes,
Bawko

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
I wish lights could have some decent range of focus... the ability to throw a floodier beam without having to use a beamshaper or something similar....Even if the range of focal adjustment wasn't extreme... something that went from, say a 2" hotspot @ 12" distance to a 4" hotspot @ 12" would be very nice.

Check out the UK 4AA eLED Zoom. The beam width zooms from 13 degrees to 21 degrees with one full turn of the bezel.

Although intended for fire fighting use, I find the variable beam feature great for general outdoor use.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continuously-variable brightness from a couple of lumens to about a thousand -- in any color. Strobe in all colors. Focusable from way floody to throw monster.
Running off of 1 li ion C cell.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see PWM drivers that give the user a choice of lower output levels than 5%. Reaching for lower output levels will only get worse with the newer, higher efficiency LEDs.