How do You EDC Your ARC-LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcV

Enlightened
Usually on one of those mini clips McGizmo shows on his website. The clip connects to the lanyard hole with a 1" split ring. I like to attach the clip to a right (strong) side belt loop. Otherwise, the whole thing just gets tossed into my right front trouser pocket or right suit jacket pocket.

Light-Headed

Enlightened
Hey MarcV.......do you prefer the standard (shiny) surface on the stainless steel mini-clip or do you like the matte finish? Actually that question goes out to everyone.

Also, what exactly is the matte finish? Is it a coating of some sort.....or bead blasted stainless steel.....or what?

I've been thinking about ordering some of these since they are only 4 bucks.

Do they come with the split rings or do you have to buy those seperately?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I normally carry my SLS1/123 either in my left front pocket or on my belt in a kydex holster made by Silviron.

MarcV

Enlightened
Originally posted by Light-Headed:
do you prefer the standard (shiny) surface on the stainless steel mini-clip or do you like the matte finish?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I prefer black. :)

And, no, they don't come with split rings. :-(

The preference for matte or smooth depends upon matching finishes of other stainless devices. Consider it an appearance issue, not a functional one.

For casual use we'd be just as well off with coated brass, but I couldn't locate a source for a clip with the quality of this one in any other material or finish. Titanium might have a less reflective finish, but I haven't seen one this size in that material either.

As to the price, well we all expect to pay a little more for quality, and the things T. Jay (BerkeleyPoint) sent me were all high quality (and high priced). Even though I'm the kind of guy who drives around town to find the cheapest gas (Darell, forgive me), I'm actually going to order again from BerkeleyPoint, and that's after they failed to ship my order for several days until I emailed asking for an explanation. You could say that I'm sold on their merchandise.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a smaller than 1 inch split ring on the 1AA pack and a clip with swivel on the split ring. The clip is in case I need to attach it to the hole in a jacket zipper pull tab. For all the time carry, I have a couple of small carabiners (aluminum), and I have it on that via the split ring. The whole thing goes on my left front belt loop. My keys are on the right side belt loop on the matching carabiner.

I started carrying my keys and EDC light this way, after my keys wore a hole in the side of a pocket. I hate things suddenly dropping out of my pockets. Fortunately, it was only a Mag Solitaire that dropped out. This light (Arc LS) is the one I use all the time, so it is convenient to carry it this way.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I too love the Berkeleypoint clip. I need to order some more for my LS battery tubes
grin.gif

You can get split rings on the berkeleypoint site too for less than $1 I think...

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a $2 ballistic nylon sheath made for a zippo lighter at eKnifeworks.com and the LS fits in there nicely. I've had it attached to the belt of my fanny pack and it works really well that way. Also plan to wear it on a dress belt under a suit jacket.

MarcV

Enlightened
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
I have a smaller than 1 inch split ring
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The reason I use the 1" size is that my little finger fits easily through it. I use the ring for leverage while my thumb and index finger twist the head in order to ignite or extinguish the lamp.

That'll all change when the sample tailcap shows up this week. Then I'll probably switch to a 3/8" ring.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
MarcV, I am not strong enough to turn it with one hand, as mine is quite tight (LS), We have different reasons for our choices. For 2AA, I have an old adjustable cordura holder, but I am worried about the velcro. So I think I'll get some either from Mag Instruments or Nite Ize.

I'm never in a situation where I have to operate it with one hand. If Peter comes out with a 2AA pack w/tail switch, it would be perfect for that, as long as it is compatible with original head. When boths hands are need for other things, headlamp mode is nice.
smile.gif

MarcV

Enlightened
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
I am not strong enough to turn it with one hand, as mine is quite tight (LS)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sometimes you need one hand free. You're talking to a guy who learned to shift gears (H-pattern stalk shifter) with his knee at the age of 16. Forty years later I started sailing and learned the important rule, "One hand for the boat".

I wasn't strong enough either, until, courtesy of Peter Gransee and this forum, I did the following:

1) put small amount of fine abrasive on threads and screw on and off repeatedly. (Toothpaste works, or any grinding compound like Flitz or its clones.)

2) wash off the residue, including black aluminum dust.

3) apply tiny daub of conductive silicone grease to threads. (I paid WalMart about $6.00 for a really small tube in the automotive lighting section).

4) scrape off most of the foam spacer ring inside the LS1.

Total elapsed time: 10 minutes, at most.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have Berkeley Point stainless steel mini clips on most of my Arc LSs, along with glowrings. I find that with these on the end, I can get enough extra leverage by holding the clip etc in the palm of my hand, to be able to twist it on easily enough with the thumb and forefinger.

By the way, the matte finish SS clips are bead-blasted..

Graham

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Light-Headed:
do you prefer the standard (shiny) surface on the stainless steel mini-clip or do you like the matte finish? ...Also, what exactly is the matte finish? Is it a coating of some sort.....or bead blasted stainless steel.....or what?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I WAY prefer the matte finish to the polished. They are the same clips, and the matte ones have gone through an extra bead-blasting process - so no, there is no coating to wear off (added: on either finish). This is the highest quality small clip that I've ever found - and everything I've ever purchased from Berkeleypoint has been up to the same standards. I have 10 or 15 of them, and find I always need more! While split rings work fine for securing the clip to the light, the 2.5mm quick link is another excellent option. Those are skinny enough to fit through just about any lanyard hole.

MarcV

Enlightened
Stainless steel doesn't have a coating. That's what makes these different from chrome-plated versions.

EDIT: Darell later clarified that, so this post is redundant.

WE WANT DELETE BACK!

Wasn't delete removed after an unfortunate display of teenage hormonal imbalance? Now that things have cooled down, may we please delete again?

Even if you have to limit it to "during school hours", it'd be appreciated.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just take a brillo pad to any stainless steel and you'll get a matte finish.
That's what the jewelry stores use.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yo, Mark - I didn't mean to imply that the stainless version HAD a coating, just answering the question about the matte finish being a coating or not. The shiny ones are simply polished SS. So, in summary - NONE of the clips are coated.

Sorry for the confusion.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Darell...I like your idea of using the quick link. That way those of us who are poor, or those who don't yet see the extreme value in these $4 clips, can buy 1 clip and have it work for all their Arc bodies
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.