New Arc-LS configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies if this is common knowledge but I just discovered that the Arc-LS head fits on the Scorpion, no problem.

Doing this with two new lithiums will probably destroy your Arc but I used a spacer and two batteries that wouldn't even light the Scorpion bulb and got full brightness out of the Arc (compared visually with the 2xAA pack).

I'm checking run-time right now but its looking promising.
No real heat-buildup after 15 minutes and no noticeable dimming.

And you get a built-in tailswitch.

What a neat way to get new life out of the Scorpion and some used-up lithiums!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, GJW
cool.gif

MY

Enlightened
Wow, what a great discovery. 2 123 batteries are not long enough so I put a 123 and an AA lithium and the head screws on perfectly. I am now driving about 4.6 volts through the LS head and it is noticably brighter. Any concerns about overvoltage?

Instant upgrade with a tailswitch!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
How did you get the LS head to fit on the Scorpion? Mine won't fit without some changes.

MY

Enlightened
Simply roll the rubber cover over which will expose enough thread for the head. Once the head is screwed on, the rubber cover just folds over the edge of the LS head, almost as if it was designed to do it.

I have done some rough comparisons and my SLS head with Scorpion 123/AA Lithium combo is about as bright as the Scorpion with partially used batteries and the focus set wide.

Again, totally amazing discover!

MarcV

Enlightened
Originally posted by MY:
Any concerns about overvoltage?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes. But the good news is that you'll probably be able to sell the AA and 2xAA bodies to somebody who needed them and did not burn up his LS head.

MY

Enlightened
Thanks for the warning MarcV but aren't other modders overdriving LSs in a major way? I notice that some folks are using 3 cell minimags. Why would this be any different than one 123 and one AA?

Another question. If I use a good 123 and an almost dead AA, will the resistance in the AA be so great that the current flow in the 123 will be minimum?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Roy:
How did you get the LS head to fit on the Scorpion? Mine won't fit without some changes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How strange.
I've got 2 Scorpions and they both fit perfectly.
Mine are at least 10 years old so I wonder if there's been a design change.
With the right sized spacer the LS head stops right at the beginning of the rubber and with no spacer the LS head pushes against the rubber and just slides it down the Scorpion body.

Again, this is not something you want to try with more than 3V.
Use two practically dead lithiums or one new lithium with a dummy battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.