Ultrafire C2's running on 2 Rcr123's???

Jefff

Enlightened
Is there any more input on the Ultrafire C2's running on 2 Li- rechargable 123's.. I wanna try this but just got it and if it puts out more light this way that is a plus..
I am not all that impressed with the light output using the Protected Ultrafire 18650's.. Btw these I bought from DX do fit inside this light but it is a tight fit and I had to bend up one of the tabs on the + side to make contact I will put a solder blob on them later..incase anyone was still confused on what type of 18650's fit..

looking forward though to hearing more about the Rcr123's running this light though. I have 2 shan's that I want to try out.. But I don't want to let the magic smoke out of it seeing it took forever to get here lol

Thanks a bunch

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light will run brighter, and with flatter regulation on 2x CR123 (either CR123, or rechargeables). The light uses a buck circuit, which is best run on a high input voltage -- which is then stepped down and delivered to the light. The combination of the higher draw, and the lower capacity of the RCR123 will make runtimes a lot shorter though.

Jefff

Enlightened
Cool And thank ya for the fast reply... I have been tempted to just try it based on one other artical I had read saying it might be possible but really really didn't want to ruin my new toy :laughing:

My Shan 650's Rechargable 123's top off at around 4.2Volts and that seemd to me like I would be over feeding it running them both..

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x rcr123 are just fine in the C2.

At the monent this light has the most throw of any of my lights,
blasts past a D-Mini in throw. Great light!!

racer7

Newly Enlightened
A word of caution

Mine fried on a pair of hot off the charger lithiums at 4.2V @. Tried that because the 18650 output is poor- not in keeping with most newer Cree lights.

Haven't opened up the head to see what fried but intend to convert it to something more robust with more output when I get some time. Been doing a few of the Nereus SSC conversions of the P1D lately, though I don't use the cyanoacrylate relector attachment method.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
racer7 said:
A word of caution

Mine fried on a pair of hot off the charger lithiums at 4.2V @. Tried that because the 18650 output is poor- not in keeping with most newer Cree lights.

Yep, what I should have said in my post above was my rcr123s are about 3.6V each, off charger, protected, to be more specific.

With that, no problem here.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used mine on 2 AW Rcr123a's (3.7v) I have not had a problem, but try to put each cell in my D-mini for 40 sec or so just to run off some voltage. I do not know if it is overkill, but thats what I try to do anyway.

Runtime is WAY shorter than with primaries. I also do not notice that Rcr123's are much brighter than primaries in my light. My light is at least as bright as my D-Mini and Huntlight Cree. It is a great light.

Mash

Enlightened
Are the C2s from Kai and DX the same thing?
I ordered a HA one from Kai, not received it yet.
I ask since on DX it says it can run on 18650 and 123s, BUT Kai says 18650 only, BUTBUT also says can run upto 9Vs. Is this a mistake on Kai's part?

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
orbital said:
Yep, what I should have said in my post above was my rcr123s are about 3.6V each, off charger, protected, to be more specific.

With that, no problem here.

What kind of RCR123s were they? The "3 volt" regulated kind?
The circuit in those does both protection and regulation.

I don't have this light, but other lights I have tried regulated "3 volt"
123's in have given really poor runtime from them.

Last edited:

Jefff

Enlightened
ok well I tried it out .. The throw and brightness did increase but still not sure if it as bright as it should be.. Here are a few beam shots with it compared to my Q3.. God you can really tell the twoj Q3 has a green tint to it up againts this one..

The culprits Q3 and C2
1002176qj8.jpg

about 3 ft from wall no stops
1002166fs5.jpg

f2 stops about 3 ft from wall
1002159ao5.jpg

f1.5 about 5 ft from wall
1002154uf6.jpg

No stops no flash 5 ft from wall..
1002152oi7.jpg

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C2 does dwarf a lot of other lights in it's own class with big reflectors. It drives the Cree to its limits with 1,09 A to the led. It's screaming bright. BUT there have been incidents of defective CREE's in them. Mine was dim, after replacing with a new CREE X-RE P4 it's now very bright with huge bright spill and intense hotspot.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northernflame said:
Hi.

Here's a question that concerns the difference between primary (ex 81650) and cr-123(r).

I have a UF C2 as well.

In my opinion wether it's 3.0 or 4.2 vDC power I find the C2 to be rather lacking in output.

For example. I have a 3AAA 1 watt luxeon with a 1.25" wide reflector.

The beam throw and hotspot (lux/lumens) are basicaly identicle to the UF C2, and has double the battery life. Not to mention my 3aaa aluminum Luxeon out shines my 2c Mag incandescent.

Combined the AAA batteries give a max of 2700mAH @ 3.6vDC (nimh) and the usual lack of output rate associated with AAA's

Honeslty i was expecting the C2 to dwarf my little 12$ 1watt. Well you can't always get what you wish for.

Finaly my (not- clone) surefire wasn't any better.

Enjoy.
If you have AAA cells able to supply 2700mAh @ 3.6V I want to know where to get some (I think you mean 2700mAh @ 1.2V, or 900mAh @ 3.6V). I suspect that your UF C2 is probably defective -- a 3xAAA luxeon light or 2c mag wouldn't be anywhere close to the output on mine.

Dobbler

Enlightened
You must have a bum C2.

My C2 is right up there with my Lumapower M1 for brightness and IMO has a nicer beam. The tail cap from the M1 fits the C2 and allows me to use the momentary on switch. I still prefer the ergos, build and finish of the M1, and use it more, but the C2 is certainly a bargain at $20!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
AndyTiedye said:
What kind of RCR123s were they? The "3 volt" regulated kind?
The circuit in those does both protection and regulation.

I don't have this light, but other lights I have tried regulated "3 volt"
123's in have given really poor runtime from them.

Sorry I didn't get back to ya sooner, large computer overhaul for my brother,
I use the Tenergy RCR123 900mAh from MattK @ BatteryJunction.
They are only just slightly wider than primaries so you can you them in more lights. The circuit cuts in @ around 2V so runtime may be a bit less, but then how does one factor in safety and reliability ect...

A decent case for hot swap backups.

http://www.inanycase.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Session_ID=45ABD40A000EF3750000777D00000000&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1020-UFPCR123&Category_Code=mil&Product_Count=6

Randy555

Newly Enlightened
Mash said:
Are the C2s from Kai and DX the same thing?
I ordered a HA one from Kai, not received it yet.
I ask since on DX it says it can run on 18650 and 123s, BUT Kai says 18650 only, BUTBUT also says can run upto 9Vs. Is this a mistake on Kai's part?

Just received mine from KaiDomain HA-III, nice finished and output is ok but suffers from flicker once in a while, I am going to clean all contacts and try later
and also take some current measurements. BTW I have compared it with my DX
U2 EYJ and it not as bright.

Mash

Enlightened
Randy555 said:
Just received mine from KaiDomain HA-III, nice finished and output is ok but suffers from flicker once in a while, I am going to clean all contacts and try later
and also take some current measurements. BTW I have compared it with my DX
U2 EYJ and it not as bright.

Have you tried it with CR123s though?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my C2 yesterday from DX, and I am very impressed. There really are only 2 things I am unhappy about with this light:

1. My tint is the "blueish" Cree light I have ever seen(I have seen luxeons that were more blue)
2. The tailcap doesn't feel too sturdy, I am just waiting for the day it craps out :thumbsdow

But, the good things with this light have out-shined the bad. The light has a cool look to it, is very bright(~130 lumens out the front in my light-box), and has awesome throw. And since it has an orange-peel reflector, the beam is very nice. As long as you don't get a dud, which it seems like some people in this thread have, you can't beat this light for the price.

Randy555

Newly Enlightened
Mash,

Yes, I have tried both 18650 and rcr123 and the rcr123 is a bit brighter, but on ceiling bounce test my EYJ U2 wins by a small margin. On tint quality my C2 is whiter although there is a hint of lines when focus to a white wall at 5-6 ft. Anyone with a suggestion regarding my flicker issue on my C2 HAIII version will be greatly appreciated. I will try to compare throw tonight when I get home.

Randy