Inova Radiant R2A-T 1watt 2AA 9.99 at Frys(maybe local)

frasera

Newly Enlightened
figured i might as well make a post about it.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_radiant_aa.htm

the campbell store has a red sale sign on the rack, i guess they are being phased out. there are several other inovas on sale but the other one i looked at used those 123 cells.

so far so good, its a bit bigger than a minimag but the brightness is good. much brighter than the niteize 3led upgrade of course and the tailswitch is already included:) compared to my minimag led 3aa its slightly less bright but not by much, it doesn't have the throw of course because theres no focus. but its hard to complain for 9.99:)

even comes with 2 batteries:) nite-ize don't give u that:p

report back if you find it at other frys! they had about 10 when i left yesterday.

i figured it was worth a heads up.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I long enjoyed the 2xAAA Radiant and I bought one of the 2xAA models from Target for $5 when they were clearanced. It gets 6 full hours of runtime which ain't too shabby... and it throws a nice, wide hotspot and is certainly usably bright even if it will fall far below the brightness desired by most of those who have jumped on the Cree/SSC bandwagon. For those such as myself that value the diameter of the spillbeam, that of the Radiant is quite a bit wider than the Mag LED.

I give it a thumbs up... esp as a gift for others.

Here are a few pics:

LED Maglite 2xAA, Inova Radiant 2xAA and Inova Bolt 2xAA

IMG_0866a.jpg

Inova Radiant 2xAA @ 17 feet
IMG_0919a%20Radiant%202xAA.jpg

LED Maglite 2xAA @ 17 feet
IMG_0922a%20Minimag%202xAA%20LED.jpg

And thought it's in a totally different league, here's the Nite Ize 3LED module @ 17 feet
IMG_1777%20Nite%20Izea.jpg

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add, I need to readjust my manual camera settings now that there are so many bright lights... These were taken at 1 second and f2.6 or f2.8. The LED Mag definately has a more intense hotspot and probably throws twice as well as the Radiant. I guess I'd prefer to have the LED Mag for outdoor uses beyond 20 feet or so, but the large diameter hotspot of the Radiant wins it for me for distances within 20 feet and pretty much any indoor use.

frasera

Newly Enlightened
hah nice pics:) i had the same 3 test lights more or less, cept mine was a mag led 3aa:) and yea the mag does have a brighter beam and even the sides of the circle area are more evenly lit ..relatively. for camping or whatever i'd want the mag yes, but for bang around light for occasional home use the radiant suffices. makes the 3led nite ize look totally pathetic, the circular beam of reflectors just looks better than the odd muddled cluster light patch of the niteize.

going to make a spacer so i can use the niteize switch on my mag, the 3led niteize is going into storage. gonna look odd, my mag is also pewter.

Last edited: