Birthday gift help- Your Favorite Fenix?

cash2006

Newly Enlightened
My Bday is coming next week and my GF has been sweet enough to ask me what I might like.

I'm a knife, gun, and lite nut who's been accumulating Mag lights, photons, surefires, and Inovas for ages. I haven't a Fenix, and am intrigued with everyone's enthusiasm over them, their versitilty, and there prices.

Your favorites and why would be of great help.

Other ideas are welcomed with the exception of gladii and the like, as I would like to keep the cost down.

Thank you in advance

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... Well, I'd say they are all decent options... The L0D is awesome because you will ALWAYS have it with you... and it is crazy bright on a 10440 cell. And the L2D is awesome because of the very good brightness and the crazy runtimes on low.

I'd say those are my two favorites but I haven't seen a P2D or P3D in person yet... and I doubt they would usurp the L0D and L2D as my favorites.

cslinger

Enlightened
L1D-CE or the P2D. Actually the P2D gets my nod. Great little EDC light.

Understand that these are nowhere near Surefire or Innova quality/fit and finish but are really nice lights for the dollar that make great tools.

Chris

EricTarini

Newly Enlightened
GottagettaCree. L0D-CE or P2D. I have both, and each is far superior to its Luxeon predecessors, L0P-SE and P1, which I also have.

The L0D-CE is small but powerful for its size and therefore versatile; I use Lithium AAA, but eneloop or a high-capacity NiMh AAA would be good alternatives, depending upon frequency of use.

The P2D is quite bright (matches L2D, but is a lot smaller), while retaining a decent lowest level, and the one to get if you could only get one. I use cheap (Titanium) CR123. I prefer the P2D UI (starts lo-med-high, but can go to highest level on first press with a quick twist before firing) over the P1D UI (which I *don't* have), and the tailcap makes changing levels easy. See Doug's review on flashlightreviews.com.

I carry my L0D-CE on my keychain; the P2D goes in the inner pocket in the right pocket of my pants; I always have both with me. But I'd get the P2D if I were getting one; it's a little bigger, but the highest brightness levels are noticeably higher than the L0D-CE.

Either way, you're going to enjoy this birthday.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'd like a small EDC, then my vote is for the L0D-CE. I run it on AAA NiMH, but many are enjoying the extra wow factor of using a recargable lithium. Happy birthday to you.

cash2006

Newly Enlightened
Tremendous gentlemen!

I really appreciate the advice and kind well wishes. Looks like I might have to get both the LOD-Ce and the P2 D and get reimbursed for my favorite.

Curious about the charge life of the 10440's- I picked up AA & AAA eveready rechargeables and they are often more trouble than they are worth. Once they are charged, the charger turns off, and when needed the batts have lost thier juice.

Can you leave the 10440's from lighthound plugged in for weeks and find them juiced when needed, or might they play out like the eveready?

Thanks,

p

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L2DCE,L1DCE, and the new P2D. They are all great lights but I would rule out the L2DCE because of its large size. Both the L1DCE and the P2D are great lights and it really depends what kind of cells you have at your disposal or that you like to use. The advantage of the P2D is the smaller size and the brighter output on the Burst setting.
If you only are going to buy one I would go with the P2D.

cash2006 said:
Tremendous gentlemen!

I really appreciate the advice and kind well wishes. Looks like I might have to get both the LOD-Ce and the P2 D and get reimbursed for my favorite.

Curious about the charge life of the 10440's- I picked up AA & AAA eveready rechargeables and they are often more trouble than they are worth. Once they are charged, the charger turns off, and when needed the batts have lost thier juice.

Can you leave the 10440's from lighthound plugged in for weeks and find them juiced when needed, or might they play out like the eveready?

Thanks,

p

gunga

Flashaholic
I agree with everyone here. LOD CE for EDC on the keychain, P2D or L1D CE for other use.

Eneloop AAA or AA for rechargables. Charge em, and store them. THey retain charge 6months+ with no issues.

Li-on 10440 if you can deal with the high maintenance (major WOW on the LOD CE).

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 10440 cells lose about 1% per month... Maybe closer to 5%. Certainly not nearly as much charge as traditional NiMH cells which are not really appropriate to leave off a charger for a month at a time and expect a good charge to remain.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
I think the 10440 cells lose about 1% per month... Maybe closer to 5%. Certainly not nearly as much charge as traditional NiMH cells which are not really appropriate to leave off a charger for a month at a time and expect a good charge to remain.
One possibility is to leave the cells, or if the light is small enough, the entire light in the fridge. The cold temperatures lower the self discharge rate dramatically. Be sure they're sealed up in plastic though to prevent moisture accumulation.

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
You might consider getting the L1D. It takes common batteries, plus turbo mode gives you 118 lumens for 57 minutes of flat regulation on a 14500, according to Chevrofreak's graph. And later, you can purchase a P2D body/tailcap set for around $20 bucks when they become available at the Fenix Store. You'll have 2 great lights for about $75. If the L2D is more your style, then you can buy that body too ...you'll have all three!

Last edited:

r0b0r

Enlightened
L1D-CE

:p

I love the compact nature of this light, and its got plenty guts with long runtimes to boot!

The low output (9 Lumens) lasts for 25hrs on a NiMH cell and that is a very effective level of output for dark adapted vision. While the Turbo mode may not be as bright (advertised 90 vs 135) I feel it is certainly sufficient for my usage.
When I need a bigger brighter light I carry one.

...Or stick a 14500 (3.6V LI rechargeable) in the L1D - then it *screams* with photonic glee :)

On the other end of the scale is the E0 - I probably use this kind of light the most. Clipped onto my front beltloop, it's the most accessible and useful flashlight I own.
With 12hrs regulated runtime on a NiMH cell (or 16 on a lithium) the little fellow never quite seems to die! (Hell, the NiMH will self discharge before I run it dead unless I'm using it for extended periods).
I have a great diffuser made from an old cyalume glowstick and that is fantastic for (somewhat dim) area lighting. Absolutely perfect for when it's really dark and you want a minimum amount of light - very effective though!)

However, if it's a present, I reckon go for something a little more punchy. The E0's are a lot cheaper so you can buy one yourself later (or maybe you have something similar already)

Personally I find the L2D to be too large for a compact flashlight, though with its uniform diameter can be easier to carry than lights which have a larger head.

I reckon for EDC go the L1D. I love mine, and you can always buy additional bodies for it :)

wjb3

Newly Enlightened
cash2006 said:
Your favorites and why would be of great help.

Other ideas are welcomed with the exception of gladii and the like, as I would like to keep the cost down.

Fenix: L2D-CE

Left hip, set on Turbo with eneloops. When I need lots of light fast, I have the L2D-CE ready. For lower levels I can set it to general before turning it on. I love the User Interface. I love the long run time on low of the CREE LED. I like the bright Turbo. I like the battery choices. I like setting it on a flat surface and using it as a candle (bounce off ceiling).

UK4AA-ASLED, right hip for known or unknown hazardous situations. For low light or boating situations, Rigel Systems Dayglo Skylite (660nm red & White LEDs) around neck with 9v lithium.

-wjb

kavvika

Enlightened
My vote is for the L0D-CE. But then again, I'm biased since it's my first and only Fenix torch.

Focal

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the LOD-CE, its nice and small without being to small. On Lithiums it's as bright as the P1D-CE. Nice light!