Can you use rechargeable batts in a MagLED?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey,

I recently picked up a 3D Mag and a 3-cell LED module, just because I miss having the ubiquitous 3D Mag around, ya know? Maglite's literature doesn't like rechargeable batteries, but what's the harm? Warranty concerns aside, is there any problem with using, say, NiMh D-cells? I'd kind of like having guilt free lumens in addition to my shock-proof LED.

frasera

Newly Enlightened
i use them all the time in my aa led versions.

i hear you shouldn't let them drain all the way or something, i never have gotten that far:p someone else will explain i'm sure. something about nimh not liking that

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's really any way that the MagLED module itself will be able to "tell the difference". The regulator will run just as well on rechargebles (actaully most likely better, as Rechargeables have less internal resistance -- as D-Cells get drained they won't be able to deliver the output). You don't have to worry about it overheating or anything either, as the module itself actually has a temeprature sensor that will "dim" itself as it gets too hot, anyway (as there's no heatsinking path available).

i hear you shouldn't let them drain all the way or something, i never have gotten that far:p someone else will explain i'm sure. something about nimh not liking that
This would be a problem with the batteries though, not the light. I suspect the warning is probably a throwback to years ago when rechargeable cells were much more unreliable, and more prone to leakage than they are today.

Last edited:

frasera

Newly Enlightened
ok kewl.
only problem is the c/d nimh cost more. real ones that is,not the fake ones with an aa inside. look at the mAh rating, if its only aa level then its fake. most retail stores only carry those.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Yes those phoney fake D cells with an AA inside haunted my childhood and turned me off rechargeables for years. But yes, MagLED should be fine with NiMh

Lightfantastic

Newly Enlightened
I'm running 10,000 ma Tenergys in mine with no problem. They work so well that the hot spot is a smiley face!:lolsign:

shot22by6.jpg

Last edited:

frasera

Newly Enlightened
best part is now we have those hybrid/enloop nimh that have very low self discharge, no more worries about batteries being dead when you need them. within reason of course ~1yr...

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
I have a 2D mag with a 2 cell mag led drop in it.
I use 3c batteries in it which is a little over 3 volts but it works fine. I'm sure the batteries may be the fake C's with an AA in it. (never knew about that trick until now) but it works great.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
sween, as the Mag-Led hype started some time ago, some members reported about failed drop-ins by using Nimh's.
Due to the higher internal resistance of Alky's it can be risky to use Nimh's.
Temperature sensor or not, the Led will see a higher current with Nimh's. That's the reason for the warning of Maglite about the use of Nimh's.

I don't tell it must happen, but you should know it can.

Best regards

____
Tom

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John said:
sween, as the Mag-Led hype started some time ago, some members reported about failed drop-ins by using Nimh's.
Due to the higher internal resistance of Alky's it can be risky to use Nimh's.
Temperature sensor or not, the Led will see a higher current with Nimh's. That's the reason for the warning of Maglite about the use of Nimh's.

I don't tell it must happen, but you should know it can.

Best regards

____
Tom

Thanks for the heads up! With the low cost and way long runtime on standard D's, it probably is not a big deal to rely on primaries.

Latest posts