LUMAHUNTER MRV - 210 lumens!

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
Flashaholics!
I've been reading candlepowerforums since I bought my first "real" flashlight, a P1D CE, this year ... it's really relaxing - and addictive ;-)

Now I've found something which might be worth "my first thread" and I am very curious what you experts think of this light. It claims 210 lumens!!

But see for yourself!

http://www.qualityflashlights.at/termekekmainGe.php?csoportid=41

Greetings

Eric

ooooops ... there's a thread on it already, sorry
:whistle:

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
its not going to be 210 lumens out the front. maybe 150. If a cree module driven at 1.4amps puts out 160 (6 mode cree module), there's no way a cree driven at 1a will put out 210.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy 210 hm,s morelike? but it could be possible on direct drive to the cree,but then you have unreliability factor? instaflash maybe.tread carefully on such claims.

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
@ daloosh, thanks for your welcome and the link. Let's discuss this new light there.
@ cheapo: thanks for your doubts, so I don't have to order one right away. But the beamshots look very impressive. MUCH brighter than the D-Mini. Well, lets wait and SEE.

Did anyone notice it says up to ?

It could be a total BS, or a marketing trick. If the distribution is such that median is somewhere along say 150, and mean is 160, out of 5,000 sample, but there is a few outliers that produces 210 under ideal conditions with new batteries, for ten seconds.

That would make for "up to" conditions.

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Did anyone notice it says up to ?

think "up to" means depending on the battery used. Highest output should be on 2 x RCR 123, 3,7V

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brightest led light, the EYJ U2 from DealExtreme, was supposed by some to output 200 Lumen. In reality you get somewhere in the neigborhood of 130 Lumen in total output (9500 Lux). The Cree is overdriven at 1.2 A. The EYJ U2 is hysterically bright on high, but it doesn't throw that well due to the reflector. With a smooth, deeper and narrower reflector you can get Cree's to throw very well. My guess (hope?) is somwhere 10000-15000 Lux in throw for the MRV and a little more for total output.

Pokerstud

Enlightened
I believe they state the lumen ratings at the emitter, but you do have to take into account:

1. heat loss
2. reflector loss
3. lens loss

It would be nice to have a standardized rating from all dealers that stipulated the lumen rating after all of these losses, it would give a more realistic rating. However, stating 210 lumens sells better than 160 lumens.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
And don't to forget, Lumens-output and Lux-readings are a different pair of shoe's:)

My Superthrower:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/159372

would read far more than 20000Lux , perhaps 30000(my guess because I can't do a Lux-reading) and the light will ermit about 160 Lumens, diven at about 1,2Amps.

So the secret for a Thrower is, to catch the light and focuss into a tightest possible spot.
In the case of my light due to the lenses and in this case due to a large and good calculated reflector.

Best regards

_____
Tom

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 210L number is, of course the at spec rating at the LED which is rated at up to 210L at 1A. You can read into this whatever you want but I've handled the light and I don't think 200L + is hard to believe.

There's a number of difficulties in having a 'standardized system' because even if the number is measured in a lumensphere different LS's will give different readings and even the same LS can be manipulated to give differing readings.

I've been playing with the MRV engineering sample for a few weeks now and I'm comfortable stating that it's easily 2-3X as bright by my eyes as any LuxIII light I've seen and way brighter than the other Cree offerings on the market.

I'll be posting some pics of the light and hopefully some beamshots (if they came out) shortly - I hope they have captured and effectively illustrate just how bright the MRV is.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way is that light putting out 210 lumens out the front. I have a custom Mag that Mac built for me, housing a single U-bin Seoul emitter. Obviously, it is an extremely well made light, with great heat-sinking and wonderful craftsmanship. My burst setting is ~1.5amps, much higher than the MRV's 1amp. The most I have ever seen on fresh batteries hot off the charger, was 180 lumens out the front. I would suspect that you guys are pretty close with your ~150 lumen estimates. The trick with the MRV is it's reflector that collimates the light so well, I wouldn't be suprised if the MRV comes in around 15,000lux @1m. :rock:

I am in no way knocking the light, just trying to help clear things up for some people... :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, the 210L is clearly 'at the emitter at spec,' no question about it. I won't guesstimate the lumens out the front but I can tell you it is simply WOWHOLYC(*P bright. :)

Ricky at LP measured 16900lux at 1M on an 18650 and 20100 on primary CR123A's.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Yup, the 210L is clearly 'at the emitter at spec,' no question about it. I won't guesstimate the lumens out the front but I can tell you it is simply WOWHOLYC(*P bright. :)

Those are great numbers! In actual use, you would probably be hard pressed to notice a difference between the 18650 and 2xCR123's....which is a good thing as I would personally rather run an 18650 for more runtime. :naughty:

This light is gonna be a great seller. With it pushing 20,000lux, people are gonna be REAL impressed by the throw of this thing from just a single LED. My Mag with the single seoul, meters just over 20,000lux @1m....and is a VERY impressive thrower. Looks like this light may be the longest throwing LED production light made to date :grin2: Good work Lumapower! :rock:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The throw is amazing. :)

I took a bunch of pictures last night but my photography skills are sorely lacking - especially when it comes to capturing a flashlights' effectiveness at night :/

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder what it will measure with 2xR123s? The specs says it can take 2xR123s.

I for one am really looking forward to this light.

MSax

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am warming to this light
popcorn.gif
. on checking it looks better than the D-mini.

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
I held out for a long time but gave up and placed order for one.
I love my D-mini and Lumahunter.
This looks like another keeper.