• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Looking for new emmiter for Q3

Jefff

Enlightened
Hi.. Not sure how to find the sandwhichshop .. so I post it up here and maybe some tips ideas would help as well if ya want.. But I am looking for a new emmiter for my Q3.. it currently has a TWOJ lux star in it.. but I want something a little more whiter or even a CREE if that would work in it..

Thanks in advance and if this is the wrong area to post this .. sorry in advance also..

Jeff

Jefff

Enlightened
did you just get the bare emitter and put it on the existing heat sink or does it come with it's own heat sink and wire that into the Q3.. ?

This is the info I was looking for thanks a bunch for your reply.. I looked on the shop link and that wasn't really any help so I sent them an email also wondering what the hot item was to put in the old Q3's

Do ya have a link to the Photonfanatic Seoul SSC Star? I will also go look around in there and see if I can find it also ... This place is a great source for info .. But there is such a plethora of information it is pretty hard to find exactly what ya want..

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff, go get a Seoul P4 star from Photofanatic and replace that venerable TW0J. That would be a killer.

However, you'll have to use the original screw-in reflector for a proper beam profile. I've tried the stock reflector on a Seoul P4 and the beam profile is pretty much in focus. Also, use of a thicker glass lens (~1.5mm) may give some advantage.

BTW, just curious, which version of the Q3 driver board do you have in your Q3?

lexina

Enlightened
Jefff said:
did you just get the bare emitter and put it on the existing heat sink or does it come with it's own heat sink and wire that into the Q3.. ?

This is the info I was looking for thanks a bunch for your reply.. I looked on the shop link and that wasn't really any help so I sent them an email also wondering what the hot item was to put in the old Q3's

Do ya have a link to the Photonfanatic Seoul SSC Star? I will also go look around in there and see if I can find it also ... This place is a great source for info .. But there is such a plethora of information it is pretty hard to find exactly what ya want..

Hi Jeff,

You will need a star rather than the bare emitter. I have read that the stock reflector works well with the Seoul, not too sure with the Cree.

Since you would have tackled the toughest part (i.e. opening the bezel) , you may also want to consider getting a flupic here to replace your existing driver board:-

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/162387&page=1&pp=60

The title of the thread is the 0.55" flupic but you can also order the
0.77" (19.55mm) Arc-LS/Q3 size board, 1.2mm thick @ $18/ea (plus shipping & cc PP charges). It's on discount now as goldserve is clearing his stocks.

This thread has excellent instructions from Lumenhound on how to modify your Q3 for the flupic and the star of your choice:-

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116625

There are links in goldserve's sigline that will give you loads on information on what you can do with the flupic - fascinating stuff!

I am just waiting for my flupic board to complete this mod!

Cheers,
lexina

Last edited:

Walt175

Enlightened
I modded the stock heatsink by adding a penny to it. I think there is a thread on how to do it somewhere. I then installed the star. I kept the stock driver, but did change the reflector to an IMS-20. I'd say the Q3 is at least twice as bright as stock.

ETA Here's a link to where I got my star. : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154400

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't use the IMS-20, it might give focusing problems and may require sanding down a bit. The stock screw-in reflector is the way to go and will give a great wall of light.