RexLight 2.0, with no flicker

LGCubana

Enlightened
I'm only using fresh Duracell alkalines in my Rex 2.0
So I don't know if my results are tainted by not using a higher voltage.

I see no flicker on Low-Med-High; in an absolutely black room.
I've run the beam across a white wall. No distintive 0 0 0 0 0 0

also

My User interface is different to the product description. I've tried having the light on High for:
30 seconds, then turning it off for 10 or 30 seconds. Always turns back on in the next mode, strobe.

Does anyone else have the same UI ?

[Edit to Add]
Disregard my malfunctioning/unique UI. Just had the opportunity to use an AW, 3.7v, 14500.
Still no flicker & the UI's 5 second memory rention is working

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't got a Rexlight yet so I can't help you with the UI at all, but to strobe issue, it should probably be the most pronounced if you set it to low, then holding it from the tailcap, point it a bit over your head and sort of swing the front end back and forth or spin it in about an 8" circle. If there is no PWM or if the rate is high enough, the light should seem like a solid white line and not like a series of close zeros.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even better IMO, try this -- wrap a piece of paper into a cylinder and hold it around hte bezel of the light -- this will produce a glowing "bar" of light. Next, swing the entire thing back and forth as fast as you can -- and see if you can see vertical "lines" or a continuous "plane".

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Even better turn the lights off, turn your torch on low and wave your hand back and forth rapidly in front of the light, if you see 20 or 30 fingers, then the pwm is there.

LGCubana

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was trying a horizontal test for the "0 0 0 0 0 0" pattern. But everything looked good.

When done vertically, I can only see the multiples 0s at a ridiculous rate of motion. Well beyond any normal movement.

I came across another test. In a dark room, point the beam at a fan. On this one (like the vertical test), PWM is confirmed.

I've never doubted that my unit has PWM (& that's my fault for not being clear in the original post), just that it might be at a higher rate than the 1st batch.

As it is now nightime & regardless of distance ( 3' - 30'), I have no flicker. I've tried (on Low) walling hunting & walking around the house. No convulsions or seizures due to PWM strobing effect.

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
I don't notice much PWM either, but then again I'm not spotlighting hummingbirds at night with my lights. It does have to be really quick motion to even notice the PWM with my MKIIX, hopefully the Rexlight thats on the way has just as high of frequency.

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Hm... what a trade off... a Rexlight with PWM and a malfunctioning interface, or a Rexlight with no pwm and a broken interface... I guess I'd rather take the functioning interface. This is a really weird Rexlight you've got there.

LESLIEx317537

Newly Enlightened
As said before, some people are more sensitive to the PWM since everyones brain works differently.
People that are epileptic probably shouldn't get a PWM light.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Simple test for flicker. Shine the light on your index finger while it is moving. You will see 5 or 6 version of your fingers in different position - that is flicker for you.

dardar

Newly Enlightened
If you have a camcorder, you can film the rexlight and watch the output.
If you see 1 steady led light, it is no pwm or it is in high mode. If you see 10 or 20 rexlight from top to bottom, pwm is there (in medium or low). I don't know if it works with webcam.

LGCubana

Enlightened
Disregard my malfunctioning/unique UI. Just had the opportunity to use an AW, 3.7v, 14500.
Still no flicker & the UI's 5 second memory rention is working.

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
I notice the flicker only on LOW! if you have a portable fan, hold the fan in front of it, and see the light behind the fan...... compare to high, you will see less blades.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why it matters if a light has PWM or not if you don't see it with normal use. I have 4 lights with PWM and didn't know it till I did the fan test.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

With all the chatter about the potential flicker, and people crying bloody murder about it,... I see NONE!!
Mine came yesterday and spent some time last night using it;
the UI is just fine although 5 sec. seems twice as long as necessary for memory.

The coating and the beam are great, have to say beam color is one of best all my lights.
My o-rings were not installed nor any lube..BUT, the o-rings were slightly tight when installed and needed good lube to get the Rex together. The fit and finish is super with output good for class.
Overall super light, but not prefect, not going to dwell on little things

There has yet to be a perfect light......The Rexlight 2.0 is an absolute winner at $30

Last edited:

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
orbital said:
My o-rings were not installed nor any lube..BUT, the o-rings were slightly tight when installed and needed good lube to get the Rex together.

I've heard this a lot. Not having own any lights that needed lubricant... what should i use when my Rexlight arrives? Anything readily available at retail stores in Canada? I don't want to have to order something online again just to get my light together.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinCK said:
I've heard this a lot. Not having own any lights that needed lubricant... what should i use when my Rexlight arrives? Anything readily available at retail stores in Canada? I don't want to have to order something online again just to get my light together.

The o-rings are silicone, so you do not want to silicone grease on silicone o-rings.
(for rubber o-rings use silicone grease)

I used Super Lube Synthetic Grease from my local hardware store, fine for silicone o-rings ... Good stuff.
If that's not available, lithium grease would be my next choice. Remember just a small amount will do.

I only used one o-ring per side when putting then light together, two would be almost too tight.

Good Luck. Check out link:

http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Silicone%20Grease#mat

*Again, with real world use of using this light as a flashight, and NOT WAVING it around wildly just to say look.......
There is no visible break in beam.

Last edited:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
White wall hunters have switched to fans and fingers. Thank God nobody has had a seizure yet. You guys live dangerously.
Mike