Problem with Arc LS first. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Light-Headed:
I keep the light clean and use the two different Surefire lubricants I got from jtvat on the threads and o-ring, so that's not the problem.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think you should only use 759G but not 779ZC for ArcLS. 779ZC might give you contact problem.

Alan

Light-Headed

Enlightened
Hi Alan,

I use the 759G (conductive lubricant) only on the threads and I use the 779ZC only on the O-ring. However, the problem I mention in my post above was occuring even before I got these lubricants and started to use them. So I don't believe the lubricants are the problem, but thanks anyway.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like flex to me. If you don't want to send it back yet, you can try a conductive epoxy between the pcb ground and the housing.

Peter

Light-Headed

Enlightened
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. If I decide to send it back, can this be fixed by Arc without any visible signs and without having to replace the light? I don't think I want to try to fix it myself.

Can someone give me a simple definition of what the flex problem is?

Thanks.

Light-Headed

Enlightened
Hi All,

I have a small problem with my Arc LS first. About 95 to 99 percent of the time, it works flawlessly. However, occasionally when I turn it on, it appears to be in some sort of dim moon mode or something. It doesn't happen very often, but it is somewhat aggrevating. It still works and turns on and off normally, but it's only about 1/3 as bright.

I can unscrew the head almost all of the way and shake the battery inside it and it fixes the problem sometimes. Other times, I have to completely remove the head from the body and re-attach it and the problem is fixed. This problem seems to occur with all my battery packs, so it's not the batteries or the packs themselves.

I keep the light clean and use the two different Surefire lubricants I got from jtvat on the threads and o-ring, so that's not the problem.

There appears to be a light surface scratch across the middle of the gold board (pcb?) inside the head where the positive battery tip makes contact. However, I don't think this is the problem.

My delima is this. I love this flashlight and don't really want it replaced (even though I'm sure Peter would gladly do this if needed). And, I would prefer not to have to send it in to Arc for an evaluation. The beam is bright and perfectly centered with just a hint of the green tint to it and I love it.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this problem would be appreciated (could it be this flex/flux problem I've heard about and what causes that?).

Also, if the gold board inside the head ever wears down from battery contact, is this something that is replaceable by Arc over the years?

Thanks for any help.

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've just read about lubricants in this thread.
Can I use vaseline for the o-ring and the screws
in order too keep them smooth ?
Thanks from overseas,

Kaneda

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Light-Headed:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. If I decide to send it back, can this be fixed by Arc without any visible signs and without having to replace the light? I don't think I want to try to fix it myself.

Can someone give me a simple definition of what the flex problem is?

Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We probally will not be able to fix it. We try not to spend to much time on warranty returns because of the shop rate. Most units are simply replaced.

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Kaneda:
Hello,

I've just read about lubricants in this thread.
Can I use vaseline for the o-ring and the screws
in order too keep them smooth ?
Thanks from overseas,

Kaneda
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Vaseline will work since the o-rings are buna, making them resistant to petroleum.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.