128 LED flashlight

Gadget_Guru

Newly Enlightened
128 LED 3D flashlight on eBay

Anyone have one of these yet?

It has 128 5mm white LEDs, and uses three D-cells. There are other versions that use 4 or 6AA cells. The three D cell version seems more sensible- at 20mA each, this array would suck 2.56 Amps from the batts!

A new contender for the "showerhead" champion light title...

128a_black.jpg

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 128 LED 3D flashlight on eBay

Wowzers, that looks pretty mongo. At least, now the 128leds are well balanced by a similarly sized body.

Skibane

Enlightened
Re: 128 LED 3D flashlight on eBay

127 additional chances for dissapointment, as soon as one of those LEDs fails...

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I love eBay descriptions!

It is nothing short of AMAZING!
128 LED's!!!!!!!

and

You have never seen an LED Torch until you have seen this Beauty!

and

I guarantee you have not seen an LED Torch quite like this!

Classic!

LightJaguar

Enlightened
Before I found CPF I bought two of the 128 LEDs that ran on 3 Ds. The body of the light is built pretty good. The LED look pretty cool but are not that bright. Also I don't think the LEDs last that long on those lights. One of the LEDs on one of my lights has already burned out. I have nerver really seen a burnt LED until I bought those lights. They make great paper weights and a good baton to wack someone in the head with.

Learjet

Enlightened
Now there's an idea.

You have some 3D ones LightJaguar? I'm surprised they are not bright. Yes unfortunately with so many LEDs one or two are often weak and burnout leaving a hole in the matrix that looks like a missing tooth.

I still have my 100 LED, it's more of a flood light not for throwing the beam. The AAs are a problem though as it doesn't run for long. Was thinking of converting it to a 3D body.

Learjet

Enlightened
Thanks. I'm seriously thinking of getting the 3D version. It would be great for medium range illumination. I have D size nimh cells so should get a few hours from them.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I just got one of these (128 LEDs) from Dealextreme ... nice light for what it is: A floody, cluster light. It puts out an impressive wall of light good out to about 100 or more, depending, depending ... (objects in the foreground reflect light back at you preventing you from seeing much of anything past them).

I run mine on 6AAs ... 2000ma NiMh. Don't have a run-time plot ... but I wouldn't use one of these for hours, anyway.

I figured this thing may be very blue when I ordered it ... but it wasn't. I was pleasantly surprised with the tint. They must have used decent, 5mm Nichias.

Silly hype aside, for about $20, I think this one is worth having in any arsenal.

riffraff

Enlightened
LightJaguar said:
[...]I have nerver really seen a burnt LED until I bought those lights. [...]
I see burnt-out LEDs all the time, in CHMSLs (Center-High-Mounted-Stop-Lamps) on cars.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a unit that has 238 whopping 3mm leds' and runs on three D cells on fleabay recently. Not a bad unit. No throbbing pulsing led's yet. I just noticed a unit with 260 was listed.

It has about a four inch diameter head from the use of the 3mm led's

Some photos and discussion in this thread

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
riffraff said:
I see burnt-out LEDs all the time, in CHMSLs (Center-High-Mounted-Stop-Lamps) on cars.

Well I usually don't pay much attention to LEDs on cars, especially on the brake lights. So far two LEDs are out in my flashlight and one seems like it's about to go out. They are black but sometimes they do turn on. I got two of the 3 D ones wich I almost never use.

Learjet

Enlightened
What would be a good single LED alternative to the 128 LED light? Say I wanted something with similar characteristics like a wide flood, just as bright and powered on D cells? Possible?