Malkoff LED Drop In Module for Maglite EXCELENT **Outdoor Beamshots Added**

greenstuffs

Banned
I've got 2 modules today from Gene i was told 2 weeks and thats about time, these are very nice built with a lot of copper and pretty heavy nothing i've seen before, it has a large surface contact between the heatsink and the walls of the flashlight which ensures a good thermal transmission.

After receiving the modules i just went to walmart and bought 2 3D maglites, the instalation was pretty easy take out the old bulb and just push in the drop in module into the bulb socket. Very easy instalation.

The light blows all my LED lights so far in terms of flood and throw due to the smooth reflector. Very nice white beam i was able to light trees and objects over 400 ft away with ambient light impressive.

I've tried one of the maglite stock bulb for like 10 secs and almost made me puke the beam was so bad full of artifacts and dimmer than anything i have seen in years, yet i remember when i was a kid the Maglite was like THE FLASHLIGHT in my book.

I've had the light running for over 20 min and didn't even get warm but you do notice a slight temperature increase near the switch yet no decrease in the output of the light.

This light is for anyone that wants a dependable light with plenty of runtime over 6 hrs according to Gene's website. All the other AA or CR123 are great but this blows them in terms of output and runtime and you can use it as a impact device if needed.

This is going to be another keeper. :D According to Gene's website he will no longer make fully converted maglites and only make modules.

The price was $70 for the module and the modified reflector, is not that expensive if you consider the amount of work involved and you are getting an excellent flashlight that beats the output of the Surefire LED and runtime of course is bigger but is perfect or a utilitarian light.

All beamshots are taken with the tightes beam with the stock reflector cut to accept the new module avialable from Gene. The lense is the stock mag plastic lense.

For beamshots i've used a Mag 3D with 3 Duracell Copperhead with little over 30 min of runtime.
At 3 Ft
DSC06179.jpg

At 100 Ft
100ft.jpg

At 300 Ft
150ft.jpg

At 500 Ft
DSC06186.jpg

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
Re: Malkoff LED Drop In Module for Maglite EXCELENT **Beamshots Added**

I've added some beamshots these are done behind my apartment complex while shooting towards a golfcourse, there is ambient light otherwise pictures will show the full pontential of this light. At 100ft this thing lights up clearly anything while giving you sunspots. At 300 ft you can see the things clearly i will get some better beamshots when i have time. At 500 Ft things can be still seen but not as good yet totally usable to spot objects.

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
As expected, Gene's dropin is very impressive. It's good that someone like Gene has the knowledge, ability and desire to develop and bring such a product out for us flashaholics. Quite honestly, I'm surprised no major flashlight upgrade company decided to add something like this to their product line. Even if companies like Terralux or NiteIze would rather cater to the masses and not necessarily us flashaholics, I just can't see how having something like this in their product line would be a bad thing. Oh well as it looks like Gene's beat all those guys to the punch. Good to go Gene! :goodjob:

Cydonia

Enlightened
So Gene... your site doesn't list any more for sale... and how would somelike outside the USA order one? I'm in Canada... do I have to try and find someone to order for me and redirect it up here? :(

strobes

Newly Enlightened
Gene: The website mentions no availability right now...when can I order a C size upgrade? Is a sputtered reflector an option?