A "three banger" stack of EDC lights!

luxlover

Banned
Hello fellow HDS/Arc LSH lovers,
My CPF buddy iocheretyanny gave me this idea, since he only has one HDS light and no Arc LSH light. What you are looking at is a novel idea, which on the surface may appear silly. But in use it is very practical, and yielded better results than I expected.

I took my two HDS lights and my Arc LSH FLuPic light, and strapped them together with a JANDD Mountaineering Co. velcro strap which I use to securely hold my hand pump onto my mountain bike's seat tube. This "stack" has a stock U60, a Seoul emitter modded U60 with a 133lm output, and an Arc LSH with roughly 54lm output on maximum. When all three lights are on maximum, the total output is about 247lm. The charm of this setup is that each light can be utilized independently within the stack, and any one, two or three may be used....or not used. The amount of light projected when all three are at maximum is amazing, especially when considering the total size of the assembly.....2 3/8" at it's widest. The beam pattern is very clean, and the three reflectors blend well in unisson.

I will be looking for a better way for the three lights to be stacked than with my velcro strap. I don't want the fix to be permanent. I use each light as an EDC and want it to be independent of the others most of the time. But as an assembly, they are ideal for when a huge amount of light is needed. Note that since each of my HDS lights has an 1/8" thick protective rubber/foam tube placed over it's head, and the Arc light does not, the fit is not what I would like it to be. For those who have three HDS lights, you will have a field day if you stack three of them as I have done. Guess what....it even tailstands! :laughing: The bottom image shows the stack the best.....

IMG_3752.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

luxlover

Banned
PoliceScannerMan said:
Dude..... You must be bored! :laughing:
Not at all! I didn't take the concept seriously until I saw the output generated by all three lights. Hey, I know you have at least two HDS lights per my list, but maybe you have an undocumented third one hidden away?

Don't take my word as to it's integrity. Try it yourself in a dark room in "the compound."

You gots to believe,
Jeff

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
TOOCOOL said:
Is it the first of April again :laughing:
Man, I'm getting slaughtered over here! It's a massacre! Two out of two posts written, each with less than an exuberant/ecstatic reaction to my images. It just makes me want to :barf:
If I see either you "PMS" or you "TOOCRUEL" needing to borrow a light in a life or death situation, I will have no choice but to say "sorry gentlemen, I only have one light here and I need it to save my own butt!" :crackup:

Be good skeptics,
Jeff

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened
luxlover said:
Man, I'm getting slaughtered over here! It's a massacre! Two out of two posts written, each with less than an exuberant/ecstatic reaction to my images. It just makes me want to
barf.gif

Jeff
crackup.gif

Unfortunately I think you might continue to get that reaction... I like the idea, actually - it's a simple solution to producing more light in a usable package using lights you already have on hand! The reason you may get a less than stellar reaction from some is that you've essentially created a Milkyspit 3-emitter light running on a parallel battery arrangement with some extra size because of the 3 different aluminum housings. Not that I'm criticizing - how much did it cost you to triple the output of the light you're carrying and give at least 3 brightness settings? $0 + Creativity! That's a pretty good cost/benefit ratio IMHO.
smile.gif

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where's that old picture of the guy who took a ginormous Harbor Freight bazillion candle power rechargeable searchlight, and duct-taped thirty-seven other flashlights around the perimeter of its bezel? It's got to be somewhere in Homemade and Modified lights...

GearAddictionDotOrg

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, wasn't sure what to think at first, but I'm kind of liking it. Lots of light, small package, seperatable. And if you need the strap, in a bind--no pun intended--you've got it. Not bad. Not bad at all.

luxlover

Banned
Daekar said:
Unfortunately I think you might continue to get that reaction... I like the idea, actually - it's a simple solution to producing more light in a usable package using lights you already have on hand! The reason you may get a less than stellar reaction from some is that you've essentially created a Milkyspit 3-emitter light running on a parallel battery arrangement with some extra size because of the 3 different aluminum housings. Not that I'm criticizing - how much did it cost you to triple the output of the light you're carrying and give at least 3 brightness settings? $0 + Creativity! That's a pretty good cost/benefit ratio IMHO.
smile.gif
Regretably, I think there will be a lot more HEAT directed at me for my images. I will deal with it, knowing that all detractors have not experienced luminous Nirvana until they have tried it.

$0 + "my natural creativity" ("Igor's natural creativity") = a match made in heaven......and 247lm! :grin2:

Hey you're right. I am INDIRECTLY in competition with my homeboy milkyspit, the bad**s dude who took my U60 and made it a U133 via the process of Seoulmation! By the way, I am in DIRECT competition with myself. The same dude built me a Project M light = 375lm via three Seouls..... Code name "M375."

Jeff

luxlover

Banned
Ty_Bower said:
Where's that old picture of the guy who took a ginormous Harbor Freight bazillion candle power rechargeable searchlight, and duct-taped thirty-seven other flashlights around the perimeter of its bezel? It's got to be somewhere in Homemade and Modified lights...
I would like to say that I gave him that idea.....but I would be lieing! Alas, I am not that much of a genius!

Jeff

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't care if some fellow CPFers laugh at your idea :awman: I am already looking for my velcro straps and deciding which lights I want to put together.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

luxlover

Banned
GearAddictionDotOrg said:
Hmm, wasn't sure what to think at first, but I'm kind of liking it. Lots of light, small package, seperatable. And if you need the strap, in a bind--no pun intended--you've got it. Not bad. Not bad at all.
Thank you Sir. May I commend you for having good taste, even though you have only three CPF posts under your belt? It has been an honor being the subject of your third post.

Jeff
:naughty:

luxlover

Banned
Kilovolt said:
I don't care if some fellow CPFers laugh at your idea :awman: I am already looking for my velcro straps and deciding which lights I want to put together.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
Thank you as well, Sir. Your comment is as powerful and as full of "potential" as your CPF username. Let me know how it works out. Remember, the stack excels in fit when the three lights are the same. Do you have three HDS lights? I mention HDS lights because they are totally cylindrical and butt up to each other perfectly.

Jeff

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
To start with I'm putting together an Inova X1 for short range illumination, a Lumapower M3 for mid range and a Fenix L1D CE for long range. Very similar in diameter and length. Then we shall see what other combinations I can think of.

I'am afraid that a long night is about to begin......:cool:

luxlover

Banned
Kilovolt said:
To start with, I'm putting together an Inova X1 for short range illumination, a Lumapower M3 for mid range and a Fenix L1D-CE for long range. Very similar in diameter and length. Then we shall see what other combinations I can think of.

I'm afraid that a long night is about to begin......:cool:
I didn't mean to sound cocky in the last few posts, but as I said in my opening post, the idea is practical. You, kilovolt will have many sleepless nights thinking of all the possible combinations. The more lights you own, the less sleep you will get! :laughing: Blame your decline in health on Igor! :crackup:

Jeff

Last edited:

sclemin1

Newly Enlightened
luxlover said:
Man, I'm getting slaughtered over here! It's a massacre! Two out of two posts written, each with less than an exuberant/ecstatic reaction to my images. It just makes me want to :barf:
If I see either you "PMS" or you "TOOCRUEL" needing to borrow a light in a life or death situation, I will have no choice but to say "sorry gentlemen, I only have one light here and I need it to save my own butt!" :crackup:

Be good skeptics,
Jeff

Well..... This isn't a bad post at all, I'm going to strap 3 MKII-Xs together running 14500's. As long as they don't catch on fire it should be great.
(I must be board or something :) )

Cydonia

Enlightened
Dear luxlover,

Your idea, which you have executed to great effect, is one that I have been aware of and have been leaning towards for quite some time. The concept and capability is fantastic and very efficient, despite what the naysayers may blurt out. Disregard their utterances luxlover, they are probably just jealous of 247 lumens in the palm of your hand and the cost that this represents.

Now, when you take multiple identical off the shelf LED lights, such as the Fenix L2D CE with a true 113 lumens out the front, and take 3 such flashlights, and bundle them with thick tight fitting rubber bicycle inner tube into one package (leaving the head exposed for thermal dissipation)… 339 lumens on 6AA batteries correct? For $56.50 each including delivery from this page at Fenix-store.com or $169.50 total cost. 339 lumens, in your hand, even in a baggy jean pocket, with multi modes. Why isn't this being done? I was about to buy 2 more L2D CE and do just this but flinched at the Fenix quality.

Now I'm looking at 3 to 5 of the new Inova T3's bundled together. [font=&quot]It appears a true 80 lumens may be emitted by this light. So [/font]240 - 400 lumens in an extremely reliable and strong package. Multiple redundant individual light elements with isolated power supplies. What light can do this? Undo the Velcro strap and release the separate lights – they can be passed out to individual members of a "team".

Elektrolumens makes nice lights, multi emitter arrays and all that, but, the inherent weaknesses of a single power supply and a single physical compartment for the electronics is trumped by having multiple lights bundled. You gain awesome redundancy, multi mode operation by automatic default, total flexibility as to the number of emitters you wish to carry for the given task… the list of advantages is endless. And yet no one is doing this. As an amateur psychologist I find this fascinating. There must be some amazing conditioned consumer response to not using multiple tools simultaneously to obtain a desired end result…. It would make a beautiful thesis paper I'm sure.

Luxlover, I salute you. Continue in this train of thought. Explore further with inexpensive off the shelf lights. Other's may begin to see the possibilities and start to emulate this groundbreaking "out of the box" thinking pattern.

Yes everyone, hundreds of lumens in your hand for a few hundred dollars, right now, no wait, no custom builds, no extra failure mode penalties - only a rich reward of redundancy and extended functionality await!

:sssh:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea is really good - like those three L2D CE's as Cydonia suggested. That wouldn't be too "fatty" either. The only downpoint I see is the time you need to switch on/off all of them. Maybe a little mod, to connect all the tailcaps into one switch? (like three wire running from the tailcaps into one switch).

luxlover

Banned
Since some of us are taking this post, intended as a goof, somewhat seriously, I see it fit to advise those who will be attempting such a stack of lights to find a material that can be used between one light and another so as not to mar the finish with which your lights are equipped. If metal to metal contact exists, I can assure you that your lights will get marred exactly at the point when you snug the velcro strap and they are squeezed radially toward the center of the stack. Only three small pieces of insulating material needs to be used, with the length being at least that of the lights in contact. In addition, when the strap is tight and the lights are used as a unit of three, they will move against each other no matter how tightly you strap them together. The strength of the hook and latch teeth on the velcro strap will determine the amount of movement between lights. With a baffle of some foam type tape between one light and another, absolutely nothing will happen to any of the lights, and the friction of the foam itself will further prevent any movement. This will help maintain parallelism between lights.

I made an observation while shining the stack of lights onto a white shiny sheet of plastic at a distance of three inches. When the three lights are properly aligned, meaning perfectly parallel to each other, their hotspots will maintain their center to center distances and not intersect, while their sidespills will intersect and become additive yielding an unusual beam pattern of three teardrops. As the distance increases, the hotspots will begin to intersect and become additive. Getting away from close quarter white wall testing, I can tell you that when shining the stack in the lit lobby of my apartment building, the amount of light at the far end of the lobby, about 120 feet, was impressive. Hey what do you think happens when 247lm is shined on a wall? It lights it up!

I believe that I have just hit upon the tip of the iceberg with this concept. There is so much more to examine and adjust. For now, no matter what you lighting aficionados post, there is real potential in this idea. The nice thing about it is that you need not go out and buy any more lights to make it happen. All you do is take lights you already own with similar diameters and fairly cylyndrical lengths, and slap them together. What could be easier than that?

Here's an example of sheer luminous Nirvana.....
For those of you who have had three HDS lights get a Seoul emitter replacement by my buddy milkyspit, or one of the other prominent modders.....imagine putting three such lights, which usually end up with at least 120lm output, in a stack for a 360lm handheld stubby little "fatty" (skalomax term) light? I will leave you with that mental image.....

Is this a goof now? I think not......

Jeff