Timeline for Xenon PR Lamps?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

When did Xenon and/or Krypton bulbs become available with PR bases? Have I been missing out or what? Just put a Xenon Star in a 4D Mag and am no longer a doubter. It is a Carley with what looks like a magnifying lens tip. Seems to me that flashlight bulb technology has made large strides recently. Is this so?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Are you sure it is a Carley? Where did you purchase the lamp?

I don't know the answer to your question.

Apparently Xenon beats Krypton?

My question is does Halogen beat Xenon?

hehehe

Brock

Flashaholic
I can't say that every halogen beats xenon, but of the ones I have do. From what I have seen it is

standard incandescent
krypton
xenon
halogen

Of course if you have a 2 watt krypton and a 1 watt xenon. The 2 watt krypton will be brighter. Given they are all the same wattage they seem to fall this way. Again this is just what I have seen, I have no scientific fact for this
smile.gif

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It is definitely a Carley bulb and the tip of the glass is a magnifying lens, which I verified by looking through the bulb (off) down at the filament, the coils of which show up nicely enlarged (8x?). I received the bulbs as a courtesy from Dr. Walt Welsh who is member #52

From what I have learned at here
http://www.vistalite.com/exp4i.htm
and here http://www.reflectalite.com
(scroll to bulb options down the page)
halogen beats xenon but not by price.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thank for the info
This is very interesting and clears up a few issues relating to the SureFire Lamp Modules.

I was always under the impression that the best gas was Xenon. I knew that Halogen was a group of non-metallic elements (F, Cl, Br, I & At).

I knew that Halogen was added to Xenon to increase efficiency and reduce Tungsten deposits discolouring the inside of the bulb.
Halogen/Xenon was better for high temperature super-bright bulbs still giving a white light (due to the Xenon?)

Because the Halogen cycle requires high temperatures, the standard SureFire Lamp Modules (P60, N2 etc) can not use it, so high pressure Xenon is used.

Now I understand.

Does the Scorpion use High pressure or doesn't it really matter?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Does the Scorpion use High pressure or doesn't it really matter?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can not answer that question, but here is another link that might help in your quest. If you scroll around this site you will find more information, too.
http://www.misty.com/people/don/xeincand.html

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Adding high pressure Xenon to a lamp is a manufactruring art not everybody has. It is somewhat difficult for bead seal lamps. Now lamps with a tip off can be dosed with high pressure Xenon AND halogen simultaneously. This is done by cold trapping. The process is well known but hard to do in mass production of miniature bulbs. Also Xenon is much more expensive than Krypton so a lot of manufacturers will add just enough Xenon to legally call them Xenon without deceptive advertising.The performance difference is minor to unmeasurable in some cases. However, if properly done, a Xenon dosed lamp will have ~15% more initial output than Krypton dosed. Added Halogen to the mix, as in a Welch Allyn proprietary HPX lamp, and you get all that output over the entire lamp life and not just initially. Very few manufacturers use HPX lamps and then only in a limited high end range of products.