So I have been out of it for a while...looking for a new light

mccavazos

Enlightened
It's been a while since I have been on the boards, school was kinda hectic this semester. I am looking to get a few lights to replace the ones that I had stolen. Mostly outdoor walking ights. I have noticed that there seems to be a flood of new CREE lights. I have also noticed the DX and KD lights. Those prices seem almost too good to be true. So, what is good now? I am looking for a lot of bright, and a lot of throw. Maybe the Super Thrower Far Projection and DX? I like the profile of that light, seems like it would fit in the hand well. I also am looking for a replacement for my Arc AAA and L1P. And any idea on when the CREE E2L is coming out? Please, enlighten me.

Thanks,

Chris

ICUDoc

Enlightened
A Seoul LED makes a nice 40%+ improvement over the old U-bin Luxeons, so moddins up your old torches is good value right now. Didn't you have a nice Longbow mod? It would go well there.....

Cydonia

Enlightened
I lot of dubious quality lights out there right now. It seems a lot of folks are having quality control issues all over the place with many "rushed to market" Cree lights. Very touchy topic though… buyer beware and do a lot of searching and research first. If prices seem too good to be true… well, you know the rest.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
mccavazos said:
I also am looking for a replacement for my Arc AAA and L1P. And any idea on when the CREE E2L is coming out?
Peak LED Solutions has just introduced Seoul LED versions of several of their lights. A Peak Baltic with a Seoul P4 (see http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Baltic_HA.html), for example, might meet your needs. Creed SureFires will probably be coming out sometime this summer.

mccavazos

Enlightened
Another quick, and probably dumb question. What's is the difference between a CREE and Seoul P4? Is is the same LED? I always see lights with either a CREE or Seoul P4, or CREE P4 LED. I've been out of this for a while, and I can't get a search to turn up anything.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Seoul: "P4" denotes a package type. Binning is different to this : see Fred's (Photonfanatic's) sales posts for available bins. His ones egUSWOI are bright as heck.
Cree: "P4" is a bin code for brightness in the "XR-E" package type. This is a good bin, only a few Q2 bins (best yet for XR-E) have been found in the wild.
As for which is best, the Seouls seem to have highest rated output, while the Cree's have a limited dispersal area due to their metal rim. They both blow-away the old U-bin Luxeons for output (ie roughly 40% increase)

mccavazos

Enlightened
Thank you, that clarifies things. Looks like I am going to buy a D-Mini, MRV, and when its available a CREE E2L. My poor wallet...

Thanks again,
Chris

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, the reason Seoul and Cree are often mentioned as being so closely linked is that Seoul is licensing the blue LED die (the part responsible for the improved efficiency) from Cree. Seouls are rated for slightly higher light output at 1A current, but typically operate at a higher voltage, so power efficiency is actually about the same.

Maybe the Super Thrower Far Projection and DX? I like the profile of that light, seems like it would fit in the hand well. I also am looking for a replacement for my Arc AAA and L1P. And any idea on when the CREE E2L is coming out? Please, enlighten me.
I would stay away from that one, looks to be using an extremely ineficient driver. Of the DX or Kaidomain lights, I'd recommend the following:

1) Ultrafire C2 -- this one has been surpsingly good, good build quality, $22 for the standard (from DX or Kai) $26 for the Hard Anodized (Kaidomain.com). Lots of bright spill, and a nice focused hotspot both -- a good mix of flood and throw. Decent regulation, runs 2xCR123 or 18650, a bit of a battery hog as it drives the LEDs very hard (also actually my brightest flashlight for overall output)

2) EYJ flashlight ("U2 Style" Cree) -- don't own this one, but I've heard lots of good things about it. Uses 1x18650.

On some of their cheap lights you'll get a great deal, othres have inefficiency problems, or bad regulation, or reliability issues. Dealextreme is a good source to get parts such as Cree and Seoul LEDs for cheap though (I like the tint DX sells, but not Kaidomain)

Anyway, if you're looking for something high-end as an LED throwing light, the best available is Lumapower's Cree collection:

The D-Mini (1xCR123 pocket light) and M1 (1x18650) both use similar reflectors and effectively throw very far. They also use very efficient drivers and are designed for very good runtime considering the output you get. The M1 I have is my longest LED thrower, and I'm using the textured reflector. Their new MRV (now pre-ordering) appears to be the longest-throwing LED flashlight ever (aside from weird stuff like using huge aspheric lenses). Due to a wider and deeper reflector, it has almost 4 times the hotspot-intensity of the M1, means it should throw twice as far.

My final suggestion for a light that is simply amazing is the Fenix L0D-CE. Unbelievable output for such a small light. On a 1.5V cell (Lithium or good NiMH) expect 55 lumens or so on high, coming out of a AAA light! With a LiIon 10440 in there, the light will drive the LED as hard as it will go, meaning your keychain light will be about as bright (lumens, not throw) as just about any of the other full-sized lights recommended on this thread. There are tons of threads talking about this light if you're interested.

Last edited:

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
I believe the estimate for the L0D-CE on 10440s is around 150 lumens. Mm-hm. That's more than a P61 LA, though it runs for about half as long. This is one of the great things about LEDs. Just try running the P61 at triple the standard power. Fwoosh! Dead bulb. I'ms so enthusiastic about this, and I don't even own it! :laughing:

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Here are my recommendations:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1995 <--- L1P replacement, cheap. $13.50. Not as well built as L1P but bright. SSCP4
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1993 <--- L1P replacement, cheap. $18. Not as well built as L1P but bright. CREE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2098 <--- big, cheap, AA. $10.50. CREE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2888 <--- multilevel AA/14500 light. $45. CREE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1996 <--- cheap bright CR123A/RCR light. $12 CREE

mccavazos

Enlightened
So I took the plunge and ordered a D-Mini. I plan on getting a C2, MRV, L0D-CE, Cree E2L, and perhaps that $12.00 CR123 Cree from DX. Thanks for the help. Now just to revive the wallet....