Got my Rexlight - Several Observations and Review

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Well, number one - Rexlight was dead on arrival. Well, not exactly dead, but I popped in a NIMH, it flickered and died. I tightened it all the way and it came back on, flickered, and died. Way to QC, Kai... lol. I was scared I'd be sending this immediately back to China.

I don't have any of the deoxit / cleaning agents you flashaholics have... no alcohol either. I live in a fricking dorm. So I took a napkin, wet it, and scrubbed the head connector as hard as possible, using my fingernail in the end for good measure. After all, I don't want to be exploring some tunnel (we do that for fun here) and having the light flicker and die on me. It worked.

Installation was tricky, and they really should have done it for you beforehand. I have NO lube. What did I end up using? Vaseline. I hope it doesn't screw anything up, please tell me immediately if it will... So yes, after a LOT of oily mucking around, I installed both O-rings on each side and tried to put it together. No dice. I had to remove the outermost ring on each side to get it to screw together. Oh well, spares for me...

Now the box. The box looks really nice at first, but if you open it upside down, the Rexlight logo will fall down and you will see that it is just a cloth that says "Rexlight" wrapped on cardboard and stuffed on the top. I masking taped it back up there. Cheap box ya got there. There are random grooves besides the one the Rexlight fits in, which really makes no sense.

The size. The Rexlight is extremely small for its power, and when compared to a MXDL (Elly), it fits much better in pocket. Thank god. If you've got a Powerlight, it's only a bit taller than that. You know what? I'll let the pictures do the talking. Top to bottom: Xnova v2 (sucks), Powerlight(great beginner light), Elly CREE(best light for the money. Ever), Rexlight.

rex1ej3.jpg

rex2xa4.jpg

And there you have it.

Build: There are slight flaws, a light scratch, and the engraving seems extremely shallow and faint. Oh well, I don't really care.

I've got beamshots. Modded Cree ELLY left, Rexlight High right.
rex3po2.jpg

This shot is with the custom modded CREE Elly (Pre-Elite) with one of download's emitters. As you can see, the Rexlight on high is significantly brighter than the Elly while having a wider hotspot and smaller spill. And the beam is very white and even. Slight halo which may not be seen here. The halo is so slight as to not matter.

Now, this Rexlight exhibits PWM (proven by the finger method) which is a bummer. The interface is slightly awkward as I have to wait 5 seconds before I turn off the Rexlight or I will be met with a nice strobe next on. The SOS mode doesn't look like SOS at all to me. It's not dark enough to test how useful low/medium/high are, but low is really low. Too bad I won't be able to read with the Rexlight.

I really, really wanted one WITHOUT PWM. Yes, I'm whining because I can potentially kill someone with my PWM light, will be unable to read in the dark with it, and also because my battery life will be lessened on low/medium due to the inefficiency of PWM. If not for the PWM, I would think this light perfect.

Overall, I'm pleased with the Rexlight, though it's got its flaws. Definitely not worth $30 (flashlights over $20 make me sick) but we'll still buy it because we like our toys. I would probably never buy a flashlight over $30, it's just too much of a waste when really, the Cree Elite will do the job. After the Rexlight stuff dies down, this will probably be my last venture into CPF for a long time.

Unless, maybe a really nice, really cheap AAA Cree light comes along on DX/KD...

Last edited:

mhubble

Enlightened
What was your order number? Mine is 34xx and Im just wondering where they are in shipping. Thanks

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I know... but what else could I have lying around that I could use? Lotion???? It doesn't kill the light or anything... right?

adnj

Enlightened
A good synthetic grease from the chemistry or engineering labs. There should be a diaper full of o-ring lubes there.

And stop trying to kid yourself; college dorms are the best place in the world to finalcohol on a weekend. :laughing:

infection0

Newly Enlightened
adnj said:
A good synthetic grease from the chemistry or engineering labs. There should be a diaper full of o-ring lubes there.

And stop trying to kid yourself; college dorms are the best place in the world to finalcohol on a weekend. :laughing:

OMG, you're RIGHT, I DO have alcohol to clean this with... just gotta think outside the box :naughty: in fact... I think I have more than enough alcohol.
:barf:

Last edited:

bguy

Newly Enlightened
infection0 said:
OMG, you're RIGHT, I DO have alcohol to clean this with... just gotta think outside the box :naughty: in fact... I think I have more than enough alcohol.
Exactly what I was going to say! What kind of dorm has vaseline, but no alcohol? I've been known to use grey goose for cleaning in a pinch. And petroleum products aren't good for rubber, so it depends what the orings are made of.

Bradley

infection0

Newly Enlightened
:) Just got back from a kickback... Had to carry 2 drunk people home. Jesus... but in the confusion I got to clean my Rexlight (with 151 proof alcohol, man that stuff is harsh...) It works beautifully! Brightest light I've ever owned. PWM is noticeable at low frequency, but I keep it at high most of the time anyway. Thanks for the assurance TooCool.

Nic

Newly Enlightened
Don't use vaseline on silicone o-rings (usually coloured) ... it will eat them ... use silicone grease instead. Vaseline can be used safely on some types of rubber o-rings (usually black) but not all. Check out this compatability chart ...
O-Ring Material Compatibility

Safer to stick with silicone grease ...

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Oh, crap. I wiped off all the vasoline until I find some grease, which is doubtful. The chem lab has none.

kanarie

Enlightened
good story; I decided to cancel my order:took too long and the dream was becoming a nightmare

Calina

Enlightened
Try to ask the maintenance man, he should have silicone or some kind of grease that should be adequate.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
orbital said:
With silicone o-rings you really do not want to use silicone grease. No silicone on silicone.
Rubber o-rings ~ absolutely use silicone grease.

I used Super Lube Synthetic Grease on the Rexlights silicone o-rings....good stuff.
Also Lithium grease would be great.

Look at the chart in this configuration.

Good luck!

http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Silicone Grease#mat
Thanks for the tip on Super Lube Grease. I just ordered some. I like the fact that it's approved for use around food.