Are SF Kroma lights popular?.....

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I don't see a lot of talk on Kroma lights here? Is it because they're not mass produced yet, or because they're expensive? How popular are these lights among members?

Does anyone know if SF will have a Kroma type light but with a higher output main LED like a Cree?

I wish there would be a light like a Kroma with a high Cree/Seoul type main output LED and a TL-3 type throw!!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Expensive for what they are IMO. Used to have one, it was cool but there were no other lights that I had that couldn't perform the same job for a lot le$$. When I got the Cree/Seoul bug, I just couldn't justify keeping it. A Mag 2AA/Seoul P4 combo kicked the Kroma's butt in terms of output and economy. Also if I lose the Mag, yaaawwwwn. If I lose the Kroma, well you can just imagine.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have one and like it for what it is, a utility light.

I too would love a Cree verion for longer runtime but not for greater output. To me the Kroma is not about output but as a utility light run time is key. That said, I use the red/blue modes the most - Cree will not help out there. The TIR makes for pretty good throw so the Cree would help in output and maybe a bit of throw. I like the low white level and would not like a "higher" low white. Runtime is already pretty good on low. High white is were a Cree would really come into its own for runtime. Maybe three settings for white if possible. Low ( as is ), medium with similar output but 2x runtime and a boost level with 100+ lumen output.

It is my general purpose carry light for camping/wilderness activites but I would love more runtime. Bought it over the U2 since from what I have read the low on the the U2 is still too much for a lot of low light tasks - the red or blue low in the the Kroma is great in that respect.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I have a Kroma, and it was my EDC light for several months last year. I like it a lot, but my main complaint is that the bezel is just too large for comfortable EDC... I find it much easier and more comfortable to carry a pair of A2 Aviators rather than a single Kroma.

I wish they would put a CREE in there and UV instead of the blue. Other than those minor "complaints", I think the Kroma is a great light and a great concept... I personally think it should be more popular than it seems to be.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Supernam

Enlightened
I agree with the comments above. Sometimes I have the temptation to buy a high end SF, but can't justify the cost considering that there are brighter and longer running lights out there. Build quality? I'd rather have 10 Inova's than one Kroma.

batman

Enlightened
it seems like the light is used by a select minority of people who need it more than the average joe. For us, buying a Kroma would be kind of like living in LA and buying really expensive snow tires just because you've "got the snow-tire bug".

defusion

Enlightened
If you need high output, then the KROMA isn't for you.
If you need lots of colors for different reasons, and you often work very close to where light is needed (working on some type of machinery, reading a map), and you need the ability to have really low output, then it is your perfect light. ofcourse, this is only true if you can justify the pricetag.

though with ebay: http://cgi.ebay.nl/Surefire-KROMA-K...ryZ16037QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
you can find it for a relatively normal price (well, at least a lot less then retail)

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
I love mine! I got it as a special present for myself for finishing a grueling 40 day stretch of student librarianship (while also keeping things going in my regular job 1 day a week and via e-mail), so I could sort of justify the price.

Do I need it? No. Do I use it? Every night - it fulfills its highly specialized "tactical" role as my bedside light. For that, the red/blue are great, as is the nice low white. Having the high white a short press away is also very helpful.

Last edited:

SunStar

Enlightened
I use the Kroma more than any light I have. Its very versatile and I prefer the low LED settings to any other multi-level light I own. In fact the low red setting gets more use than any other setting because I find it to be perfect for discreet navigation, close-up work, checking on the baby, and preserving night adapted vision on the boat. It's also a very nice "floody" beam and not as ringy as the A2.

For general use, the A2 is probably what gets used if I don't have the Kroma in hand. For outside / woods work, I absolutely love the U2's mixture of flood and throw. So, I guess each have their purpose and strength for me and I exploit those strengths according application. I do feel that the Kroma strengthened my personal collection of lights with a single unit of great versatility.

Phredd

Enlightened
Atomic_Chicken said:
I wish they would put a CREE in there [A2]

Now that you know the A2 electronics better than anyone (and much too busy to even think of anything else right now), do you think it would be possible to make a Cree drop in? Would the same current for the bulb work for the Cree? Would heat be a big issue?

Phredd

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Phredd said:
Now that you know the A2 electronics better than anyone (and much too busy to even think of anything else right now), do you think it would be possible to make a Cree drop in? Would the same current for the bulb work for the Cree? Would heat be a big issue?

Phredd

I'll leave the Kroma modding to braver souls than I... at least for now! :D

I know of one person who has done it... do a search on the LED sub-forum.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I myself own a Kroma Milspec and love it. It might not be the ideal light for everyone, but due to its versatility, it is far and away my favorite Torch.

who

Newly Enlightened
Strauss said:
It's a beautiful light. That being said, if it was $100 cheaper, I would probably own one myself :whistle:
I got my Mil-Spec for ~$100 off from TacticalSupply.com. The sale is still on. Check out the dealer thread.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I just wish SF would come out with a Kroma like light but with a high output LED. I think 1 light that replaces 2,3 or even 4 lights is an amazing concept.

For now I'm going to wait and hope that the prices will start to drop on the current Kromas and for succesful Cree/Seoul mods on these lights.

garbman

Newly Enlightened
I also own a Kroma since some months. Im using it as an EDC a month now. My HDS B42 just need some rest.
The thing that i like most is the ability to have different colours than white in one light. It is very usefull in situations that you want to be discreet. Also the different levels are very helpfull. It isn't a throw monster but its ok. I most use it in close distances. About the runtime i have change the body with my U2 (put a Leef 18650 on it) so now i use 17670's on it for guilt free lumens.
I simply love it.

Last edited:

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
who said:
I got my Mil-Spec for ~$100 off from TacticalSupply.com. The sale is still on. Check out the dealer thread.
I just went to their site. I was under the impression that the milspec kroma retails for 311. They have the regular on there for 299.