• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Aviatrix Update - All buyers and interested members please read!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Last Friday, I posted a thread on CandlePowerForums. This long-awaited thread was the product introduction of the Aviatrix, the first aftermarket LED-Ring drop-in mods for the Surefire A2 Aviator... posted on the heels of several weeks of forum chat in the general flashlight section about the potential for such a product.

The product introduction thread I posted last Friday made several statements regarding the new product, including product description, price, initial quantity offered, and proposed delivery schedule. After posting the thread, I wasn't quite sure what to expect... but nothing prepared me for the response I received! I thought that maybe I would sell the first production run (25 units) in a week or two, and that the product would gradually pick up momentum as postive feedback was posted by CandlePowerForum members. Call it the miscalculation of the century - I was stunned. The first production run sold out in less than 2 days!!! I was pleased, shocked, grateful, and astonished... all at the same time!

OK... here's the gist of it all. After receiving each Paypal payment, I replied to the buyer with an email. In each email, I thanked the buyer for their purchase, and indicated my intention to keep them informed regarding the progress of the mod, and to let them know when their (much appreciated) order shipped. By Sunday afternoon, I was kind of in a state of shock - I very honestly didn't expect the product to take off with the momentum that it did. In any case, my confidence in my ability to fulfill the orders and deliver product was never in question - I was just glad that I had stated 7-10 days for the expected order fulfillment time! :) . Here's the point I'm trying to make: I am writing this post to keep all Aviatrix buyers up-to-date as promised, and to announce that I am unable to meet the 7-10 day delivery schedule. I would be unable to keep it even if I don't count the weekend days in the 7-10 day shipping timeframe (which I wasn't, BTW... I can't work ALL the time! :D). This announcement is NOT due to manufacturing, technical, or component availability issues... there is no outside force that I can lay the blame - nor would I do so even if there was one. The delay is completely self-imposed, as I will now explain.

After the orders began pouring in, I got thinking. While thinking is often not the best use of one's time, I ignored my better judgement and proceeded to some pretty intensive thinking nonetheless. This is the curse of an over-active brain: once it gets an idea, it doesn't stop until the idea is either proven unrealistic or is realized! And the ideas that I started pondering are ideas that will benefit you all... if you can see it in your conscience to repress your eagerness long enough to hear this out.

During the first batch of orders, I received several requests for LiIon rechargeable battery support. I was a bit dismayed by this, because I knew that the circuit I had designed would absolutely MAX OUT at 8.5V - even if the rechargeables were 0.1V over their typical "full" mark, it would destroy the circuit. I was concerned enough about this that I made a special post (#38) in the Aviatrix product introduction thread, and warned potential customers that this was NOT a good option to request, unless they were already using LiIon rechargable batteries most of the time already, and not just asking for it as a "someday" extended feature that might be "nice to have just in case...". I began questioning this stance somewhere around the 4th order for rechargeable support, wondering if I had approached the design from the best possible engineering viewpoint.

This was not all that was on my mind. When the design was initially realized, I knew that I had chosen the ONLY microcontroller on the planet that was capable of performing all of the required functions in the VERY, VERY limited amount of physical space I was limited to working within. Yes... I can say that with authority, having an intimate day-to-day knowledge of electronics - being an electro/mechanical engineering consultant as my chosen profession. As a consequence of using this microcontroller, I was limited to 100mA of output current for LED drive - which had to be split between the two LEDs to be switched On/Off. This gave me 50mA per LED, which is enough to get a very good brightness out of them... but NOT enough to reach the full potential of the THC3 LEDs I had chosen for the main modded emitters. THC3 LEDs are meant to be run typically at 80mA, and run at a maximum of 100mA. This kept bothering me. The first prototype had performed MARVELOUSLY well even though I had limited the current to 50mA per LED, but I kept wondering what it would be like if I could switch in the FULL power allowed - and get nearly twice the brightness! This kept nagging and nagging at me until I figured out how to solve it.

So... flash back to last Sunday. I've sold out the initial production run of 25 units, and already have the blank printed circuit boards and parts to build them. All that's needed is time... a week worth of soldering an Aviatrix here and an Aviatrix there, and by the end of the week (Yesterday) I should have them all done and ready to ship. Right? ........Wrong!.

I couldn't let it go. I just couldn't build and ship a product that was not the BEST that I could offer, even if it cost me money (and believe me, this is starting to cost me a LOT of money... if not in components ordered, then in time away from my other contracted projects!). :(

I began the new design Sunday evening, not sure if it was even possible. I did research to find a voltage regulator that would solve the problems with rechargeable battery voltage limits, and I figured out a way to supply FULL POWER to the LEDs without stressing or damaging the microcontroller chip. Now, I just needed to see if I could take the new design (with all the added parts) and route a new PCB using my PCB design CAD system. Three days... three agonizing days of constant sitting EVERY HOUR for 14-16 hour days at the computer screen, laying traces, ripping them up, re-routing, moving components, starting over, you get the idea. Sheer computer assisted TORTURE trying to make it all fit into that impossibly small space I had to work with inside of an A2 Aviator bezel.

Finally, and with much pleasure, I'm here to report success! I finished the new PCB design on Wed. evening, sent it to the circuit board production plant, and waited 2 days (ordering the new parts the board required in the meantime). Today (Friday) morning, I picked up the new Aviator circuit boards and took delivery of the overnight package containing the electronic components I'd need to build them.

Just a few hours ago, I finished soldering the first prototype of the "New Improved" Aviatrix together. I chose a 1 Green/2 White LED configuration for this build... as I wanted to see what the beam pattern of that particular configuration would look like (it's quite nice!). I photographed it from every angle with a friend's borrowed digital camera, with the help of my beautful lab assistant "Henny". I have tested the new electronics (starting on a solderless breadboard shortly after completing the new PCB layout on Wed.!) to make sure there were no problems. Here are the photos... all are thumbnails, so click the thumbnail for the full-sized (1024x768) images:

Here is what YOU get for being so patient during the extra 5 days of delay waiting for your Aviatrix:

* Ability to use rechargeable batteries, any voltage/charge level you want - without fear of harming the circuitry. No more "special" mod needed to allow rechargeable support.
* Ability to drive the LED emitters to their FULL CAPABILITY - no compromise in brightness.
* Improved mechanical layout, no possibility of shorting to the bezel metal if the solder-mask coating should ever wear through from repeated installation/removal.
* Better location of the microcontroller (now fits UNDER the board on the same side as the LEDs, instead of on the top where it was occasionally interfering with the incandescent bulb ring, causing it to press further into the spring-loaded A2 electronics section behind the bezel.
* Better upgrade ability - this is the most important feature addition that I'm now going to explain in detail:

Because every LED on the new Aviatrix design is now an independently controllable output (from a software standpoint...), I can take this SAME BOARD and so some REALLY neat future versions of the Aviatrix with it. I hinted at this yesterday when I revealed my ideas for the Aviatrix Bloodhound model (red/blue with flashing alternation for hunters) in the main thread... but I have a LOT more ideas where that came from, all of which I'll reveal in due time. The point is this: If you buy an Aviatrix today, it will NOT become an obsolete product as I introduce new models and versions - for a small fee I will be able to upgrade your Aviatrix circuit board if you ever decide that you want one of the new Aviatrix models that I introduce, instead of having to buy a whole new Aviatrix from scratch. I will be able to do it ALL with this board... with a simple microcontroller swap-out.

If you've managed to read this far without falling asleep, I just want to say one more thing. You, my customer, are THE most important thing to me. I know many of you will read this with a cynical, cliche'd "yeah... right... typical marketing BS" mental response - but I want you to know that this is ABSOLUTELY the TRUTH. Without the support of my customers, I wouldn't be able to do ANY of this, and there would be no Aviatrix mods for me to sell or for you to enjoy! I really DO want YOU to have the very best thing that I can possibly produce for you, because only if YOU are happy will I get good word-of-mouth and possibly future sales. These are the reasons why I delayed everyone's Aviatrix production and delivery for a week - I'm hoping that after reading all of this you will forgive me and understand the spirit in which it was done.

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic
Bawko, you are amazing - a real phenomenon! You have taken this forum by storm, designed a fantastic product, produced, tested and re-modified it - all in an incredibly short time-frame! Anyone who hasn't logged in to CPF for the last couple of months would be astonished at what you have done.

You must be the only person in CPF to be surprised by the popularity of your Aviatrix and the take-off in sales. It is a brilliant idea, astonishingly well executed at breathtaking speed, and it deserves every bit of the interest everyone has shown in it.

I very much doubt there will be anyone who will complain that your 7-10 day deadline has slipped a bit, especially for the improvements you have just described. 7-10 months might cause a few mutterings, but 7-10 days? I don't think so!

You have my unqualified support and admiration.

Keep on cluckin' !!!

Grubbster

Enlightened
This is fantastic! It is such a refreshing break from the mass of quickly designed and released lights with the latest, greatest LEDs that continue to suffer from design, QC, and execution problems. This gets back to the true roots of CPF where individuals were working on projects because they loved it, not to try to flood the market and make a quick buck. Great communication, no "pre-buys", and no unexplained delays. Thank you Atomic Chicken!
Now I am going to have to go buy an A2 to replace the one I sold a while back!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind the delay either. I do have a couple of questions:

1. What impact does support for rechargeables have on the output when using primary cells, if any? I won't be using rechargeables, so I hope the impact will be minimal. But, the answer to my second question may mitigate this.

2. Can you quantify the increased output when driving the THC3's at 80mA (or is it 100mA?) instead of 50mA?

As long as the 2-stage provides a low enough output for task lighting that won't wipe out night vision, and the LED's aren't driven at a high level that will reduce their life, I'll be happy with the changes. I've always been reasonably happy with the amount of output of the A2's stock LED's, so I'm hoping that the low level will provide about the same output. I suspect that this may be what you're aiming for anyway, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

While I have one of the black A2's, I also have an original design A2/red, whose Olympic ring LED output meant it was never a favorite for EDC. Hopefully, the Aviatrix will allow me to put my rare black A2 back in storage and breathe new life into my A2/red. Knowing me, though, I'll end up wanting a second Aviatrix...and a third...and a fourth...

Thanks for the great update and pics! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

First off, thanks to DM51 and Grubbster for their VERY appreciated and well-received posts! :)

Now, to answer Codeman's questions:

Codeman said:
I don't mind the delay either. I do have a couple of questions:

1. What impact does support for rechargeables have on the output when using primary cells, if any? I won't be using rechargeables, so I hope the impact will be minimal. But, the answer to my second question may mitigate this.
Primary Lithium (CR123) cells output somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.0-6.5V maximum when combined in the double-stack used for the A2 Aviator. Unprotected Lithium Ion rechargeable (RCR123) cells output 7.2V-8.4V when fully charged, and slightly more if overcharged (which was my concern that prompted part of the re-design). In order to maximize the life of the LED emitters, I have to select a resistor value which is based on the maximum voltage expected by the circuit. Because the 8.4V figure for LiIon batteries is actually abnormally high, I've chosen 8.0V as the highest voltage for the purpose of resistor value calculations. This is only 1.5-2V more than the standard primary CR123 voltage... meaning that you can reasonably expect approx. 20-25% less light output when using primary lithium batteries with the new design BASED ON THE 100mA MAXIMUM. This is really the pivotal point of all this - as the old design I've replaced used a 50mA maximum LED drive current. What this REALLY means is that with the new design, you will actually experience somewhere around 60-70% MORE light output than you would have with the old design. It's an improvement on every front, ESPECIALLY if you use LiIon rechargeables.

Codeman said:
2. Can you quantify the increased output when driving the THC3's at 80mA (or is it 100mA?) instead of 50mA?
Unfortunatly no... I can definitely see the difference based on wireless breadboard tests, but I don't have a light meter (at least not yet...) :(

Codeman said:
As long as the 2-stage provides a low enough output for task lighting that won't wipe out night vision, and the LED's aren't driven at a high level that will reduce their life, I'll be happy with the changes.
First off, I can set the low level as low as you'd like, just by calculating a resistor value. I personally find the THC3 Red emitters just a bit bright for dark-adapted night vision when driven at their full potential, so I'm probably going to "downgrade" all Red/White Aviatrix mod Red LEDs to about 50% to keep the low level within reason for this purpose, unless I get a special request to do otherwise. As for the LEDs being driven at a level that will reduce their life, believe me - this will NOT happen. I'm quite dissatisfied with Surefires approach at LED drive current - they are typically overdriving the Nichias at almost 1.5x the current the LEDs should receive based on their maximum ratings! I am calculating resistor values based on (a) the worst case battery situation (LiIon batteries) and (b) the absolute maximum rating of the LED emitters I'm using, and (c) the fact that the 10 Ohm tailcap resistor is switched OUT of the circuit when the incandescent bulb is turned on - this fact seems to have escaped Surefire's engineers, in a moment of shortsightedness, rush to production, or desire to maximize LED brightness in the short-term for marketing reasons.

Codeman said:
I've always been reasonably happy with the amount of output of the A2's stock LED's, so I'm hoping that the low level will provide about the same output.
The low level only uses one LED, as opposed to Surefire's 3-LED "Always" mode, so you might be dissapointed if you're expecting the Aviatrix "Low" level to compete! I'm sure you probably meant the Aviatrix "High" level when you wrote this... and I can assure you that you won't be disappointed if that's the case.

Codeman said:
I suspect that this may be what you're aiming for anyway, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Indeed it is... and it NEVER hurts to ask! :)

Codeman said:
While I have one of the black A2's, I also have an original design A2/red, whose Olympic ring LED output meant it never made it into my EDC. Hopefully, the Aviatrix will allow me to put my rare black A2 back in storage and breathe new life into my A2/red. Knowing me, though, I'll end up wanting a second Aviatrix...and a third...and a fourth...

Thanks for the great update and pics! :thumbsup:
You're very welcome!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
This makes me wanna buy the A2 and then your mod :drool: . Really great work you are doing there. :goodjob:

Here is an Aviatrix icon (I have too much free time :) ):
aviatrixnm4.gif

Last edited:

cnjl3

Enlightened
Wow!
With the 'options' you offer it's hard to just have one.

I will probably get another ring in the future but have not yet decided which combination of colors will be my next purchase.

I thought you offered an amber led but i didnt see that in your picture with all the different colors-can you show it side by side with the white led?

Will you ship the completed Aviatrix in paypal order?

cbdudley

Enlightened
Hi Chicken,

No problem at all with a few days of delay. The new design will be well worth the wait.

Now, a couple of questions - sorry if you have already covered this:

- You mentioned that the factory LEDs are driven at 150% - just curious what this means in terms of actual mA for the different colors.

- Will the stock incandescent bulb work with rechargables, and if not, is there a replacement that will?

Keep up the good work - a great engineer is never satisfied!

Lichtschalter

Newly Enlightened
Bawko,

that's some great news. I don't think anybody will mind waiting a bit longer.

You have done what I thought to be impossible: You have made a terrific light even better - not just brighter, as so many mods do.

I hope it won't take too long until you accept international orders. My beloved A2 is already waiting for the two stage red-white LED ring that will turn it from being a great A2 into an even greater Aviatrix.

Thanks so much for your work!

Thomas

Timson

Enlightened
AC,

If you were overwhelmed at the response that you got before...Just remember that there are still your international customers waiting in the wings for the floodgates to open.

:popcorn:

Awesome project. :bow:

Tim.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am one of the first 25 to order a two-stage white LED ring. I had always planned to use two CR123's. I certainly don't mind waiting for delivery. The product sounds great. Thank you.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atomic_Chicken said:
The low level only uses one LED, as opposed to Surefire's 3-LED "Always" mode, so you might be dissapointed if you're expecting the Aviatrix "Low" level to compete! I'm sure you probably meant the Aviatrix "High" level when you wrote this... and I can assure you that you won't be disappointed if that's the case.
Actually, I did mean low. I don't have any THC3 whites to go by, but I know they're brighter one on one. Having a low with less output than the stock A2 ring is a definite plus. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be more. If high is either the same, or brighter than the stock ring, I'll be happy on that point as well!

Thanks for the answers, Bawko, though you might want to re-consider providing such detail. We might start expecting it all the time from you! :lolsign:

Time for some :popcorn:

Last edited:

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
NotRegulated said:
I had always planned to use two CR123's. I certainly don't mind waiting for delivery.

I also was only planning on using CR123's. But now, I guess I can use the Powerizer 3.6V 650mAh cells I have. They fit inside both my newer model and older Black flat sided model. This is just great! Wonder what other rechargeables fit?

Bawko, thanks again for making this happen. I see more rings in my future
smile.gif

Bob

naloxone

Newly Enlightened
So now it's a flash upgradeable board, the LEDs are brighter, and even brighter still if you use Li-Ion rechargeables...

I'm happy. :D

naloxone

Newly Enlightened
Not really the place for it, but perhaps it could add to the thread and save me the reading the greek about ohms:

With the Aviatrix v1.1, I can now use RCR123's without risk to the LEDs or the xenon bulb?