Ti Ion XT

fleegs

Enlightened
Hello. I just received this light today from a fellow CPFer. In my opinion the Ion lights have some design flaws. That said I have yet to have a problem with the one I bought modded from the Fenix store. Nice job David. Anyone else have feedback on the modded Ions from the store?

Has anyone modded an Ion? Are there ways to improve this light? Any drop in fixes?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Especially since I just broke the light and it no longer works. Yep, I was trying to make it work more reliably. :ohgeez: That wasn't easy! (Staples play). There was a very small spring that came out of the middle. Stretched very far.

Thanks,
rob

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search for "ion kit" on this forum
Contains a shim to keep the battery from wobbling and makes on/off less fiddly.
Also contains a small spacer for short batteries (though recent AW CR2s seem
long enough not to need one).

We have a total of 4 Ions, 2 of which were Fenix Store modified with Cree XR-E LEDs,
1 of which is an original series with the Cree XLamp (more flooddy, that
one goes in the camera bag), and one of which is the titanium series.

Without the battery shim, the battery rattles a bit, and you want to give the light
an extra twist when you turn it off to make sure it stays off.
They all work fine with the "Ion kit" battery shim.

4sevens's XR-E mod seems as good as the Ion XT (the one that came with an XR-E -- the ones from Fenix have a better tint, too).

http://web.mac.com/andytiedye/iWeb/Site/sak-and-ion.jpg

I also have a Firefly II that was modded with an XR-E by 4sevens.

fleegs

Enlightened
Thanks for the response. I noticed the one from the Fenix store had a better tint too. I am glad that you mentioned it. I thought maybe it was just luck.

The ion kit won't help me now. I totally destroyed the switch mechanism. I need new electronics. I am hoping for a replacement pill I could just drop in. The LED still works but the switch on the bottom of the board is toast (I crushed the low lever and ended up ripping it off. Then I ended up ripping out this very long spring.) Do you think the warrenty would cover this? :laughing:

Any modders out there who could make a drop in pill that I could buy? I am thinking of sending it to Millermods. Maybe he could make something up.

rob

Last edited:

fleegs

Enlightened
Woo Hoo! Got a working Ti light. I switched the Fenix Store mod into the Ti light. Plus I figured out how to make the broken switch work. I need to make contact between the high and low switch. Now the light works but only on high. I used Al foil but plan to solder it when I get to work.

Does anyone know how long the high on the Ion XT will last using the 123 body? I am guessing over two hours.

Thanks,
rob