Ultrafire Cree P4 Drop In

Donovan

Enlightened
Just received my Cree P4 drop in from Kaidomain and it fits perfect in my Maxfire LX! No gaps or shorting issues.

From the looks of it I'm guessing this is the same as the dealextreme $14 drop in? I will say that unlike others with the plastic washer between the emitter module and reflector, mine came with an o-ring. The emitter sits up in the reflector where it should be so no need for an electrical tape mod!

Very happy!

Here is how kaidomain lists it:
NEENA
- Cree XR-E P4 LED 3W emitter in textured aluminum reflector module
- 900mAh regulator board installed (3.6V ~ 9V input)
- Accepts one 18650 or two CR123A batteries
- Compatible with all Ultrafire Xenon flashlight housing
- Lab test: 3200 lux at 1 meter, 85 Lumens

BTW, the nice thing is they have them in stock :)
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1300

Flash007

Enlightened
You have 85 "real" lumens, or led lumens ?

Cree P4 is supposed to deliver typical 80 lumens @350mA, and 136 lumens @700mA.

The regulator board of the Kaidoman is 900mAh , thus you must have maybe 150-160 lumens out of the led.

If you have 85 real lumens (out of the flashlight), it's nearly 50% difference.

It is possible that the Kaidoman led dropin don't deliver true 900mAh to the led, but maybe 700mAh, or less.

If someone has some explanations, thanks.

Can you measure the current delivered to the led ?

kavvika

Enlightened
I bought one the day someone posted about it in the DX cree dropin thread and recieved it a few days ago. Turns out it is exactly the same as the now out-of-stock $14 dropin, but .40 cheaper. On mine though, it is not nearly as well constructed as the one I have from DX. The emitter is shifted more to one side and it looks like hot solder was flicked all over the circuit board, luckily none landed on the emitter dome itself. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a cree module for their maxfire that doesn't want to mess with filing down the $12.50 one at DX.

To measure current, you can unsolder the hot wire from the emitter and put a DMM in between to complete the path. Then turn it to the correct setting.

Last edited:

Mash

Enlightened
SO what are the differences between the $12.50 and the $14.00 versions? Have been following these threads, but dont remember a definite answer.

kavvika

Enlightened
The $14 one is about 1/8" shorter and thus fits in a Brinkmann Maxfire, Surefire G2, and almost any other light without being ground down. It also has an o-ring between the halves to prevent shorting vs. a plastic spacer. But the best part is the $14 one can be run on a single 3.7v rechargable lithium cell unlike the $12.50 one which flickers and dims/dies when the voltage drops below ~4v. Now, the $14 one is sold out at DX, but the same module sells for $13.60 at Kaidomain.com, although with mine, the construction wasn't nearly as good.

allthumbs

Newly Enlightened
Drops in and works in the Huntlight FT01 also. Didnt know it fit the Maxfire (sigh) now I have to order another one.