Is your new LS unscrewing and your thinking of Sueing? (Peter talks about solutions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all. OK, looks like we have another issue. The switchless 1x123, rev2 power pack doesn't have enough thread to stay on the flashlight in the off posistion. There is only about 1 to 2 turns left. This is too little and the possibility of the head falling off in your pocket is too much. If you have a tailswitch pack, disregard. Of course it works fine with those packs.

The new heads are fab but with the short threaded pack, it ruins the day.

Solutions?

Other than use the tailswitch pack...

1. Thicker o-ring. Change the o-ring or pad the o-ring.

2. Kenbar has suggested milling out the interior of the pack to increase it's depth.

3. Wait for us to take another crack at the pack. The trick is making compatible with the 3 different head styles. Maybe it will have to be a version-specific pack?

4. Variation on tape, glue , springs, etc.

5. Use the other packs, use on rev2 heads only, etc.

I think option 3 will give the best result for most people. We will do a blind ship. IE, you don't have to ship the short pack back. We will ship you a upgrade when they become available.

When can we do this? I have to talk to our production guy and squeeze it in. We need to test them and then they take about a month to appear out of the machine.

Peter Gransee

... sheez louise, all I want is a stable design...

MarcV

Enlightened
Re: Is your new LS unscrewing and your thinking of Sueing? (Peter talks about solutions)

How about #6, the option where tailswitch testers test the fab new head?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is your new LS unscrewing and your thinking of Sueing? (Peter talks about solutions)

Number 3 is great.

Thank you, Peter!

Darell

Flashaholic

I think there is a song in that thread title somewhere...

I have suggestion number 7:
Make the battery pack just a wee bit deeper and plunk a spring down there at the bottom. The spring compression takes up any slack in head differences and serves the secondary benefit of not crushing the batteries.

Springs: They aren't just for switches anymore.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter:

Option 3 works for me.

KenBar

Enlightened

Option 1-2 or 3 work for me!

The "head" is a work of art.

It is a beautiful and blinding white light.

Thanks! Enjoy your vacation!
ps.
I have it around my neck on a leather lanyard.
I also discovered another use...
It works great on multi-layer boards if you are trying to run down a trace.

MicroE

Enlightened

Peter---Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
Also, thanks for looking into the LS thread problem.
The head IS great. The LED if excellent and the driving circuitry is a marvel of engineering.
It's a shame to have problems with the "easy" parts like the battery packs. (....For want of a nail the Kingdom was lost....)
I'm not going to futz around machining the bottom of the 2AA pack or 123 pack. They seem to require the use of a custom-ground step end mill in order to leave the battery contact nub at the bottom of the long tube.
I will keep using this great light and await your replacement tubes.---Marc
P.S.---I'm going to order a couple of AAA's (again) today. I think that I am addicted now. I'm also going to dip their lanyard ends in glow-in-the-dark epoxy to make them easier to find in the dark.
Keep on lighting the way!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update: Mike has redimensioned the drawings and we should have some examples to test next week (how's that for fast turnaround!).

Peter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I think option 3 will give the best result for most people. We will do a blind ship. IE, you don't have to ship the short pack back. We will ship you a upgrade when they become available.

I like the blind ship option. Please post the information here once it becomes available. I have 4-packs to go back.

CiTY

Enlightened

When the packs are available, will you(Peter) automatically ship to all the people who bought directly from you? Or do we have to do a form?
Thanks.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

We will try to auto ship to everyone who has bought a light with the switchless rev2 pack. People who have bought from dealers will have to email us though since we don't have that information.

Peter

KenBar

Enlightened

Thanks!
What a pleasure to do business with Arc!!!...As usual.

This has to be the nicest little light I own.
Suprisingly, it is not awkward around my neck.

If I could only own 2 flashlights...they would be the ArcLS123 and Eternalight.

Ken

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe a bit tighter on the o-ring and a little more thread, but not tight enough to require 2 handed operation.

Even if there is more thread, but it is loose on the o-ring, it will still uncrew too easily. Also, too loose on the ring, may compromise the water/weather seal. (another factor to consider if you want it waterproof to any degree!) You don't want water or mud seeping into the pack (123 or AA) and shorting things out.

Too short a runtime for a dive light, so needn't worry about getting it waterproof to more than 15-20 feet, bezel/lens included.

Since you are reworking the packs for rev2 and LS2, I had to bring this up.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update: I saw the proto for the next 1x123 switchless pack today. It now has 2 turns from light off to pack off. This was achieved by increasing the length of the bore and modifying the battery contact.

These should be ready by the last week of this month.

I have instructed Dawn to blind ship (once we have stock) to everyone who ordered from us directly. If we miss someone or you ordered from a dealer, send us an email and we will add you to the list. There is no reason to send the old pack back.

Peter Gransee

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.