Cause of flashaholism?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obsessed? Who's obsessed? I only have a couple dozen lights more than I could ever need...and only spend a couple hours a day here on CPF...I'm not obsessed! :laughing:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since I was a kid I have always liked the feeling of being able to steal back some of the power the night had over us. Many of us learned to fear the dark as children from ghost stories and scary movies. Also darkness and nighttime meant an end to playing outside, being forced to go to bed even though we were not tired and not being able to see what was more than a few feet in front of us. When I played with my Dad's flashlight, a lot of that went away. A simple press of a button and I suddenly wasn't scared anymore.
Today a lot of it is the technology, the gadgetry, being prepared, and having something on me that is just plain useful, however, there is still that little kid in me that likes to have the power over the darkness.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to see something brighter.

Here's a perfect comparison (for me). You know how there are some chronic daters or chronic marriers? Well, it's just like that. I think I'm going to find that special light that sweeps me off of my feet and will be my #1 forever and ever. A chronic dater or marrier thinks "this girl/guy is the one! I'm so in love...ahhh..happiness at last." Then, things get old and they move on to the next and do the same dance all over again. Well, I send for a new light, hoping it'll sweep me off of my feet. I keep some lights around longer than others. Some, I think I *might* keep forever, and others I want to get rid of as soon as I've tried them out. Some just look so pretty and I keep them only because they're so beautiful, but I know they're not "the one." The ones I think I *might* keep forever are my sweethearts, but on the side, I'm still looking for something better. I'll find her, eh, it, someday.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad was constantly searching for the 'perfect' light to keep on his nightstand for trips to the bathroom. He had so many contenders, but none ever became 'the one'. Some were prized for a while, only to break down. Most were inexpensive, nothing most here would ever bother posting about. When he [we] discovered mini-mags we thought we hit on something, but the poor runtime and ringy beam relegated that one to glovebox duty. His longest-time favorite was a two AA pen-sized light with a red clicky, possibly Eveready. He was still around when I became facinated with LEDs and I gave him my first good led light, a Pal light. He really liked that one. The glow, the runtime, the just right brightness and the WHITE tint [compared to incan].

I wish he were still around to see the beautiful lights that are available today, although depending on what heaven is like, he may have something we can only dream about.

HGUE

Newly Enlightened
Valolammas said:
My dad was an engineer, so I guess I just got the gadget-gene. :)

I probably have some of that too. 2 of my fathers (also engineer/technician) biggest *holisms is probably (flash)lights* and fans. Being a good son my computer runs very cool (couldnt get more fans in there even if I tried) and I have more lights than I could possible carry with my bare hands. A big interest in caves/tunnels and other dark places at least gives me an excuse to mix "business" with pleasure.. :grin2:

Since I first heard about places lite DX/Kai flashaholism/gadgetaholism(?) just got even worse, how could you resist cheap stuff (with decent quality) just screaming for attention. This week I got 4 different parcels from DX/Kai within 3 days(!) and ofcourse every trip to the post office was followed by phonecalls to my father.. :whistle:

*he acctually outlights me with his small HID collection, but I just got him hooked on LEDS and since I saved his old Maglite (4D) from it's miserable incan he just won't stop talk about it. Next time I pay my parents a visit he's getting cree'd :thumbsup: (and my mother actually asked me for a keyring LED the other week, so I'll bring a bunch of thoose aswell...)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Maybe it was because I inhaled mercury vapour and handled antimony (another poisonous metal) with ungloved hands as a child. :laughing:
And as I'm sure most everybody knows, mercury is used for making fluorescent light bulbs and mercury vapour light bulbs. :)

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Trashman said:
I just want to see something brighter.

Here's a perfect comparison (for me). You know how there are some chronic daters or chronic marriers? Well, it's just like that. I think I'm going to find that special light that sweeps me off of my feet and will be my #1 forever and ever. A chronic dater or marrier thinks "this girl/guy is the one! I'm so in love...ahhh..happiness at last." Then, things get old and they move on to the next and do the same dance all over again. Well, I send for a new light, hoping it'll sweep me off of my feet. I keep some lights around longer than others. Some, I think I *might* keep forever, and others I want to get rid of as soon as I've tried them out. Some just look so pretty and I keep them only because they're so beautiful, but I know they're not "the one." The ones I think I *might* keep forever are my sweethearts, but on the side, I'm still looking for something better. I'll find her, eh, it, someday.

sometimes I would like to able to do this with women! :D

collect them, put them on the shelf when not needed! :D

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I study to become a engineer...but most of my time goes to this forum and my lights...
and I have always been obsessed with stuff like knives, lights, etc
now I cant sleep sometimes because Im looking for that perfect light, or how and what I should carry as my EDC....Im sick I tell ya! :)

I think this "obsession" is the quest for the perfect stuff (light or whatever you are collecting)

if money just grew on trees....