LED v. Incandescent for MacBook

aniej

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if I should get an LED flashlight to use while using my computer at night or an incandescent light? I surf the net a lot, word processing, I am getting into photography a bit more but only use iPhoto. Do I need the higher end LED lights or will an incandescent suffice? And, when will the next significant update to LED lights be coming out? I just don't want to buy now and then have a new set come out a week later.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
What exactly are you talking about (what programs you use, ect)?
Why do you need the flashlight?

You screen should be bright enought to make you find the touchpad, and you should know where the keys are.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I wouldn't think you'd need a flashlight while browsing. I can type and mouse in complete darkness. My laptop (IBM) has a key-light, so if I'm doing something in the dark and need to see the board I can. There are also plenty of USB-powered LED lights if you just want a little bit of light.

I regularly stumble into my office to use my desktop in complete darkness. You don't really "need" light for this, unfortunately..

defusion

Enlightened
And i think the macbook has a lit-up keyboard aswell, so a flashlight will be kinda useless for this type of use.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a little gadget I found years ago at WeirdStuff in Portland --- 2xAAA lights, a little circuit and switch; tap it and it turns on the light (now a SMJLED with a yellow filter over it, was an incandescent); the light goes off after about 10 seconds. Just enough to find the key I'm missing in the dark.

This was meant to stick over outside locks or keyholes in dark spots, with a rubber cover; something like it is probably available as an electronics kit if nothing else. Very handy sometimes.

defusion

Enlightened
There's also those USB lights.
You just put them in a USB port, and there is a light attached to a bendable wire (which only bends if you want it to). something like this:
usblightgris.jpg

This would be a fun thing to seoul/cree-mod :D
I think it's just a 5mm LED, nothing special. You can have them in many colors.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
work under the damn lights in your house for god sake.

i am sure every has ceiling lights in their house?

or do you hide in some small, dark and damp corner while using your mac?

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
How about a lamp? A small one if you don't want a lot of light. A flashlight to use a computer seems a bit extreme. OH!!! forgive me, I forget where I am.

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify.
the Macbook Pro models have a backlit keyboard,
the non Pro models do not.

That is why I said he should have gone MBP. (MacBookPro) :)

five-0

Newly Enlightened
I think the guy ment what light should he use for his notebooks built in webcam.

aniej said:
I am getting into photography a bit more but only use iPhoto.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
ibooks never had backlit keyboards afaik. i sometimes use my fenix pointed up on low to light the room right for less eyestrain. i would choose led for a cooler color temperature that will mess with your computer screen better. while i love my ibook to death and plan on getting a mbook i still miss my old thinkpad with its "thinklight" led hidden up under a ledge on top of the screen - that sucker was unobtrusive and just bright enough.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried all sorts, finally settled on a normal desktop 12v transformered halogen, tilted away.

With any light, especially doing photo work, colour balance / CT has an effect on the viewed image.

I only do colour correction, photoshop etc in daylight.

Light source outside that is, not direct onto screen.

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure I understood the question but if your using it for photos you proably want a good incan like a SF G2 (nothing that runs on alkies) since LEDs dont have as good of color rendition but if its just for messing around an LED might be cheaper and also a better general use light. if your just talking about lighting the keyboard a USB light would be best

Latest posts