Arc AAA UV question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas

Banned
This is really a fairly minor question of the sort I would normally just e-mail directly, but on further thought felt that the answer may have interest to more than just me, so here it is.

Peter, I have both white and UV Arc AAA's that are nearly indiscernable until turned on, especially in the dark (I think that deserves a "Duh!" - that's when you turn them on, eh?)
wink.gif

Since the UV can be a fairly dangerous light to look into inadvertantly, or to aim toward another shouldn't it have a "CAUTION" tag or something to warn the user or to at least make it easier to differentiate it from other Arc AAA's?

Personally, I'm considering some simple machining on the head so the UV can be reliably differentiated by feel (a circumferential groove with an O ring in it).

EDIT: I've put a band of blue heat shrink tubing around the head of the UV as both a visual and tactile indicator. Simplest quickest, and easiest solution I could come up with.

Thanks for some very nice lights and (in advance) for your answer to the question.

Take care,
tomsig01.gif

( BTW, the Arc AAA UV was ordered from Vicomptel and Cyrus got it to me via the normal least-cost shipping in under a week in fine shape. )
smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's debatable just how dangerous the light is. However we do have a warning on the back of the package against use by children.

Peter

leddite

Enlightened
is the UV emitted visible at all? if so, turning it on facing away from you, and a quick shine check on your hand or other object, shouldn't hurt a bit.

also, if you're wearing almost any kind of plastic lenses, generally you'll be even better off. most plastics won't transmit uv well. i'm told you have to almost go out of your way to find a kind that will transmit uv.

i kinda wish the ir units could still be had
frown.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by leddite:
is the UV emitted visible at all? if so, turning it on facing away from you, and a quick shine check on your hand or other object, shouldn't hurt a bit.
also, if you're wearing almost any kind of plastic lenses, generally you'll be even better off. most plastics won't transmit uv well. i'm told you have to almost go out of your way to find a kind that will transmit uv.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Real UV in LEDs [<370nm] is difficult for the consumer to buy,-and is almost invisible to the human eye.

Also the Very low power of these LEDs provides a very good safety margin, IMO. Just don't stare into the LED when it's on, and you'll be just fine.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yeah, not a huge danger. For a simple solution to your problem, you can do something similar to what I've done: Clip a purple UV glow ring onto the UV unit. Way easier than machining, and you can tell which one is which in the dark without even touching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.