LED spotlight "1MCP"

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
sounds like BS. at their lowest claimed runtime of 8 hours that means a battery draw of 0.5AH assuming ideal conditions, in reality if you overdrain a SLA it damages it, so 6v*0.5AH gives 3w total draw, lets assume 90% converter efficiency for convenience that would be 2.7 watts shared to 37 leds so 72mW per led. it either wont be very bright or their runtime is BS

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks very much like the cheap halogen light I have:
searchguard_01.jpg

Which reckons it's a 1,000,000 candlepower with a 55W halogen in (~90mm diameter reflector)

I guess someone maybe just copied the candlepower figure from the halogen version of the light.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ledspotlightjf200203czl5.jpg

Yes, I think thats the generic body they use for the 1MCP halogen torch. It better have one hell of an internal metal heatsink and holes in the plastic body for cooling.

It would be a lot more impressive if the runtime was 8-10 mins, it would make more sense too. I guess we'll never know how good it is until someone orders 1000 :ohgeez:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking closer, the 37 LED looks to have a body more like their 2MCP torch - there's a yellow gap between the bezel ring and handle ring that the 1MCP doesn't have, but I guess differences may be fairly slight.
Inside my 1MCP halogen version, the only metal apart from the reflector is the wiring.

Given how the power/runtime of the LED torch correspond pretty well with 5mm LEDs, I think we've got a pretty good idea how good it is.

It does seem the person doing the website doesn't have perfect English (what's a 'strawwhat' light?). They may have copied '1,000,000CP' from one product description to another without knowing what it means.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if they actually put '1,000,000CP' on the box, the retailer could expect a fair number of returns, including possibly from anyone who's ever seen a decent cheap halogen spot.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the body for the K-Mart "Fixit" brand spotlight I have. It sez on the lable "up to 3MCP". A stock minimag is brighter. The large pan reflector spreads out the beam too much and kills the brightness overall.

But I think they are close on the 4 AH battery as it runs about 15 minutes. It should be pumping 16 amps into the lamp by my guess (6 volt 100 watt).

It comes with a 9 volt 300 ma wall wart that takes forever to charge through a 10 ohm 5 watt resistor. That is designed to not kill the battery if you charge it through the lighter socket on your car. I fixed it so a 6 volt 1 amp smart SLA charger from Fry's can charge it directly.

The LED version would be an improvement. 37 5mm LED's at 20 ma would run for five hours or more. Not near 1 million candlepower but decent.

nc987

Enlightened
LEts do a group buy! We could get a 1000 people no problem right? Ok, im kidding, that light looks ridiculous. Its like a Surefire KL2 on steroids.

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
You still do realize that at 1,000,000 CP and with only 37 LEDs, ignoring heat dissipation and power consumption, that still requires more than 27,000 CP per LED!

In all reality, perhaps on a very open field and on a very dark night, one could get that much, if they had a HUGE beam angle.

Also, CP to lm is... well... not a direct conversion, so... this is all chinese manufacturing at it best (or false advertising, maybe). :p

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pellidon said:
That is the body for the K-Mart "Fixit" brand spotlight I have. It sez on the lable "up to 3MCP". A stock minimag is brighter. The large pan reflector spreads out the beam too much and kills the brightness overall.

But I think they are close on the 4 AH battery as it runs about 15 minutes. It should be pumping 16 amps into the lamp by my guess (6 volt 100 watt).

That's a halogen version?
My 1MCP model seems pretty decent - not the world's smoothest beam, but reasonably tight, and putting out about as much light as I'd expect from a halogen bulb of that power.

Learjet

Enlightened
Daedal said:
... this is all chinese manufacturing at it best (or false advertising, maybe). :p

No maybe about it. They just stick any figure on them they like.

I once bought 3 halogen spotlights in similar design. 500,000cp, 1 million cp, 2 million cp. In order of brightness they were as I typed and opposite to what was written on them.

Even my Fenix P2D outperforms the 2 million cp version!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
uk_caver said:
That's a halogen version?
My 1MCP model seems pretty decent - not the world's smoothest beam, but reasonably tight, and putting out about as much light as I'd expect from a halogen bulb of that power.

Right Halogen. I wasn't clear on that. It is not too bad if it is in the lower "up to" range. It seems to draw the battery down like it is a 100 watt lamp as it is marked. Just not that bright or impressive. My Vector's can eat it for lunch.

Most of the candlepower in these lights are a function of the reflector I think. This one has a weak back coating and loses a lot of light through the reflector into the body. It may become a stubborn project since it is easy to ka-noodle on. It is rather wide and floody. But it was dirt cheap.

The 37 LED (or the 60+ version they have on their website) would be a good flood type unit I think. 1 million CP? not hardly but decent enough I'd wager.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your light has a coated plastic reflector? Mine seems to be solid aluminium.

I *suppose* it's always possible that there are multiple manufacturers, and one is copying another, but with [even] cheaper designs.