help selecting light

Shreklight

Newly Enlightened
My buddy is a corpsman in the marines. He expects to go to Afghanistan soon and he asked me what light would be good. I suggested the Surefire L4, but I wanted your opinions. He expects to be part of an entry team as well as a medic. Thanks for any help.

Rob

Genesis 1:3

Newly Enlightened
As a medical professional, I suggest an incan light source rather than the LED due to better color rendition. Surefire A2 with red LED is a strong candidate.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of good options out there - the L4 is a staple of soldiers everywhere, but it's going to work better (from my own experience) indoors that it ever would outside.. so I guess maybe two lights would be in order?? ;)

defusion

Enlightened
Genesis 1:3 said:
As a medical professional, I suggest an incan light source rather than the LED due to better color rendition. Surefire A2 with red LED is a strong candidate.
+1
I expect he doesn't need insane output for tactical use, but he will need good color rendition. An incan will do that, and there is no better one than the A2 (assuming the above about output requirements is true).
Do take some spare bulbs. It's not that they're really fragile, but they still can't compete with leds if you look at the durability.

Patriot

Flashaholic
+2 For the A2 with red LEDs. It's such a handy size and throws a nice white incan beam for over 45 minutes without dimming due to its regulation circuit. I believe it's a more operationally flexible light than the M4.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
the SF L2 would be my choice the low setting is great for close work and has a long run time and on high with its flood type beam it really lights up a room

Mikeg23

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
Lots of good options out there - the L4 is a staple of soldiers everywhere, but it's going to work better (from my own experience) indoors that it ever would outside.. so I guess maybe two lights would be in order?? ;)

Yea, like an L4 and an E2E with both MN02 and MN03 bulbs.:grin2: