cree vs, luxeon 111

bp044

Enlightened
I need a light to run on single AA NiMh cell. 1st requirement is a very white color
2nd is ability to dim .Run time is unimportant.Which of the two bulbs will do the job ? Can i get specific flashlight suggestions? The more the merrier

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
If you want extremely white, then I think you may need to replace the emitter with a new one of a certain bin, or have someone else do it. Luxeon LEDs may be better for this, because they have been out for a while and (probably) more bins are available. However, choosing a Luxeon over a Cree or an SSC is sacrificing either half the runtime or brightness, or adding on another battery. I would go with Cree or SSC, if you can find the right bins. Also, if you want white for colour rendition purposes, then incandescent lights are better.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Whiteness = LED Bin-code, Luxeon has the advantage here but Cree is catching up.

Ability to dim? When a LED is dimmed using current regulation, it's color shifts to the warmer side. With PWM, the tint should not change but there might be flickering.

If you can stand PWM and a semi-confusing User-interface, the Dexlight at Dealextreme seems to work. If you can stand a warmer tint and don't want PWM, then the Fenix L1D-CE will work.

bp044

Enlightened
Thank you to Alteran and Gunner12. I'm droping the need to dim the light. Which specific led , single AA flashlights with
good white color are rated well.
My primary use is macro photography with a digital ccmera

effulgentOne

Enlightened
for photography I suspect you'd also want a smooth, floody beam right? You don't want the beam pattern to cause uneven lighting on your subject.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What's your price range?

There are cheaper AA Cree and Seoul lights on Kaidomain(usually a cooler tint), Dealextreme(usually a warmer tint) and Qualitychinagoods. Most are single mode but aren't super tough. Most aren't very floody but that can be fixed by putting the cloudy tape on the front.

Your best bet is to get a easily modded light and buy the tint of LED(preferably same company) you want and install it in your light. Or you are playing the LED lottery. Some company mix different tints in their lights.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet is to get a easily modded light and buy the tint of LED(preferably same company) you want and install it in your light. Or you are playing the LED lottery. Some company mix different tints in their lights.
This is a very good idea. For a smooth, floody beam with a nice tint for macro photos, I'd recommend the following:

WH-bin Cree, using a Cree optic or a heavily textured reflector. The WH is 5000K white, with a slight yellow/green tint to it. Very, very nice. I find this one looks good at a wide range of currents as well. The optic gives you a gradual transition from hotspot to spill. A smooth reflector gives you a sharp hotspot, a yellow "ring", then uniform spill.

I'd say a good DX or Kaidomain Cree light, then replace the LED with your own.

Latest posts