• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired IQ switch, max current?

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Does anyone know how much current an IQ switch can handle? I have a cree in a cr123 battery body it's the twisty that DE and kai sell for $15.

I was thinking of cutting the end of the body off and welding a 5/8-28 threaded tube to it. That way I can fit either a Kroll or a IQ switch to it. I would really like to use a switch that has multi levels as it's a very bright light when driven directly.

Bill

doc_felixander

Newly Enlightened
Won't be too much. It's only designed for a Minimag with its relatively low current.
There's a review at flashligtreviews.com.

And welding that little thing seems no good idea. Don't forget that it's aluminium......JB weld maybe.....

Forget the IQ switch.....a Flupic would work, though.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IQ switch is used successfully in the Elektro Lumens Lucidus XR-2. That light has a 500mA Micropuck in it, so it would be pulling close to 600mA through the switch. The IQ switch will not run at a higher voltage than 3.0V, however, so using an RCR123 Li-Ion would be out of the question.

speederino

Enlightened
It might be worth sending Wayne at Elektrolumens an email about this. He has an understanding of what the switch can and can't do.

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
ACMarina said:
Wait a sec - what are you selling?? This deserves to be in electronics or something..

My Mistake, I pulled the trigger in the wrong box, but thanks for the replies.

I did the weld - IQ mod, and so far it lives! I did find a post where Wayne talked about the IQ switch and it seems that it might fail if used for 15 minuets or so at higher currents. I'm using a rechargable 123 so the current is pretty high.

I'll post a few shots of the body soon.

Bill