Imalent        

Thread: Best 18650 light from DX?

Default Best 18650 light from DX?

Im not very knowledgable about flashlights but I am looking to buy one from Deal Extreme. I would like a good camping lightunder $30. I would prefer something with a high/low setting. I was looking at:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2672
    http://www2.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1285
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1446

Any recomendations?

Also, Im looking for a small cheap cr123a Light under $20 that I can keep in my pocket.

Thanks guys. I think ive been bit by the flashlight bug.

Default Re: Best 18650 light from DX?

A lot of people seem to like the U2-Style one. Your 2nd link. It has high/low mode. Extremely bright on high. And fits a protected 18650 cell without modification.

As for a pocket cr123.
    The cheap version is at DX. $12
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1996
    I have one of those and it makes for a great bright on/off pocket light.

There's also a large thread on this one.
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=1485
    The thread calls it a P1 clone. People also seem extremely happy with it for $15.

Ultrafire C2 is great. DX sells it for $22, Kaidomain sells a HA-III Natural version for $26. Great light -- lots of spill so great for working up close, yet it has a concentrated hotspot so it has decent throw at the same time. It's a buck circuit, so it will run 2xCR123 regulated, or 18650 regulated initially, gradually dropping output after (but with longer runtime). No high/low unfortunately.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 2xTrinity
    Ultrafire C2 is great. DX sells it for $22, Kaidomain sells a HA-III Natural version for $26. Great light -- lots of spill so great for working up close, yet it has a concentrated hotspot so it has decent throw at the same time. It's a buck circuit, so it will run 2xCR123 regulated, or 18650 regulated initially, gradually dropping output after (but with longer runtime). No high/low unfortunately.
    +1
    Mike

Try the C2, Just remember to clean the positive pole on the lead head, and fix the protected cell + Pole problem.

As for the: UltraFire Alpha-C1 1x18650 2xCR123A Cree Flashlight

I'd love to see some specs. It's simular in style to a surefire l1/U2.
    Last edited by Northernflame; 04-30-2007 at 10:21 AM.
    --------------------------------------
    OOOOO A new LED flashlight.. So shiny It's Mine!.. My Own!.. My Preeecccious ! ~~~ (rub rub rub).

My vote goes for the C2 as well!

The Ultrafire C2 is a wonderful light for the price! Although, it only has one mode....no "low" beam

I would suggest the U2 style light if you absolutely need a high/low level light...
    EDC: Ra Clicky 100WWCn/ Muyshondt Aeon
    Other Favorites: Surefire LX2/Eagletac M2XC4/ DBS V2 1S-R2, MC-E

U2 style by Eastward YJ, great light

+1 on Ultrafire C2

I have and like the EYJ U2 style light. Mine is very bright on high with a usefull low, haven't had time to test run time yet. I run it with a protected cell I bought with the light, forget if it was DX or Kia.

The Hastos is a head light that is easy to mod with a Seoul star if you'd like a head light for hands-free convenience. Not as bright on high as the EYJ or C2, but still very bright. Only down side is it uses three AAA cells. But the mod is very easy: just unscrew the from lens (clockwise to remove BTW), star is soldered on and held down with two screws. I used some heatsink paste under the Seoul star before screwing it down. The Seoul works very well with the stock reflector without any modifications. The low setting on this light is not very useful as it's not much different than high, especially as the cell votage drops. Both DX and Kia has the Hastos.

A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator

+1 on the DX U2.. the high mode is really bright, and the low mode is really good for working in a tent or something. it won't blind you for close-up work in low mode.

Its also constructed very well to boot.

I have the DX U2 as well and like it very much. Very bright on high with lots of spill (and respectable throw) and good useable low for night adjusted eyes. I only had one problem with the unit when it stopped functioning. I just had to unscrew the pill 1/2 turn and it worked great again. I guess it does not work well if the battery is pressing hard against the pill.
    Also remember to put some thermal paste under the star. It is a quick 5 min job but will transfer heat to the pill/body much better.

Quote Originally Posted by davenlei
    I have the DX U2 as well and like it very much. Very bright on high with lots of spill (and respectable throw) and good useable low for night adjusted eyes. I only had one problem with the unit when it stopped functioning. I just had to unscrew the pill 1/2 turn and it worked great again. I guess it does not work well if the battery is pressing hard against the pill.
    Also remember to put some thermal paste under the star. It is a quick 5 min job but will transfer heat to the pill/body much better.
    Hi.

Your right about the battery pressing too hard, a problem with many fl's.

I can't see (from the dxpics) if there is a ( Neg pole) spring on the tailclicky end.

I know that on single AA fl's the led circuits & clicky screw caps tend to unscrew often.

However many simple solutions exist.

The C2 has the same flat + pole as my single AA fl's, and it's always getting dirty, probably made of nickel.

Would be nice if the FL's had copper, gold or SS contacts, and good springs.

ttfn
    Last edited by Northernflame; 04-30-2007 at 02:41 PM.
    OOOOO A new LED flashlight.. So shiny It's Mine!.. My Own!.. My Preeecccious ! ~~~ (rub rub rub).

On the DX U2 it is a spring loaded copper (looks like copper) pin at the tailcap for the negative pole. The spring at the pin is pretty strong.
    Last edited by davenlei; 04-30-2007 at 05:19 PM.

i finally got my u2 style in (that's another story). This light is amazingly bright. Seems to be solidly constructed. I would recommend it.

ken

so does anyone have both the U2 and C2? Im interested in a comparison.

There was a thread in the reviews section that compared the C2, DX U2 and D-mini.

Flashaholic

My vote goes to the EYJ U2. Amazingly bright, 2 modes, well constructed.

underconstruction,

both of them, and also the second u2-style clone are available for comparison on my site.

I just noticed that u might need the light to be pocketable (missed that earlier). Then i would go for on the slimmer u2-style clone, not the EYJ version. Firstly cos it's slimmer and lighter, and the battery life is almost double the slimmer version compared to the EYJ.
    Last edited by x2x3x2; 04-30-2007 at 09:25 PM.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this light:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1341

I got (essentially) the same light from Kaidomain ... it's a real winner.
    --- Bror Jace

This Cree Super thrower looks interesting:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3356#

2x18650, 900ma current draw, 2 inch deep reflector. Wow. I want one.

Does the c2 have further throw than the u2s? Also has anyone other than Bror Jace have experience with the JYE 3W SSC-P4 Seoul Z-Power 18650 Wide Projection Flashlight?

Quote Originally Posted by ynggrsshppr
    This Cree Super thrower looks interesting:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3356#

2x18650, 900ma current draw, 2 inch deep reflector. Wow. I want one.

Hi. Nice thrower.

Only downside is that for 2x18500 celles it has about 70 minutes of runtime to 50%.

About 90% for around 60 minutes.

Enlightened

A C2 is on my to-buy list, but I have the U2-style and am impressed. Very bright on high, and the low power setting is sufficient much of the time for me. It has good construction and a solid feel. I guess the only complaint I have is that the tail switch is a bit stiff and because it's recessed (mine can tailstand but on a slight angle) it can be difficult to operate with my thumb.

If you want a bright 18650-powered light that you can build/mod yourself, get one of those $2.xx RISTOFT lights from DX and swap in a SSC star. Just needs a little massaging of the tailcap to accomodate the 18650 length wise. I've been using an unprotected cell, haven't yet checked to see if I can shoehorn a protected cell in there. The unmodded light is 3-AAA format so the diameter of the body is larger than necessary for a 18650, but you can make a spacer out of cheap pipe insulating foam to keep the 18650 from rattling around. Not a 100% drop-in mod like a Cree-ELLY but it's fairly easy. It has kind of a crappy plastic lens but to my eyes this modded light puts out about 80% of what the U2-style does on high mode, and cost about $10 plus another $3 for the battery.

So I think ive narrowed it down to either one of the U2s or the Venture from Kai's. Any ideas on which u2 to buy? The EYJ version or the non-EYJ? The EYJ seems slightly brighter, but the non EYJ seems to have much longer run time.

Also, does anyone have experience with the venture?