"Smaller profile housing" + "PowerPack compatibility"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: LS2 and LS1 Rev 2. Smaller profile = thinner, or smaller diameter Luxeon or optics, or simply thinner head unit walls? How is retrofit compatibility achieved?

I hope the ARC LS future is not envisioned with only a 123 powerpack, wonderful though that may be. The 2AA config helps fulfil the promise of LEDS. Why eliminate longer runtime which is one of their great features?

Brightnorm

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think it works like this:

For your $150 green ones you get only a 123 power pack. Seems like anything but a bargain to me but I am sure Peter has a good explanation. For an additional $30, bringing your pocketbook hit to $180, you can get yourself the 2 AA power pack--a good value since you'll likely save the $30 in the cost of AA vs 123 if you choose to go that route.

The new electronics have a cutoff point of 1.2 volts, so the 1 AA power pack is (For now--that is to say, until better electronics are back. I envision that some day, be it 2010, we will have our 1 AA power pack back) gone.

The full LS2s have some huge shoes to fill! About $180 shoes to be exact...

Then the LS3 comes along with $230 shoes (LS3+AA power pack)

I'm all for doing whatever it takes for Arc to grow--it just looks like my (lightly) used SLS may be my last light from the Arc LS family of lights for a time...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Saaby:
....I'm all for doing whatever it takes for Arc to grow--it just looks like my (lightly) used SLS may be my last light from the Arc LS family of lights for a time...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think a good SLS is a terrific light, and I just ordered two more. If the new lights are significantly better (brightness, runtime, form factor (not bigger), then the high price may be a bullet that must be bitten.

We shall see

Brightnorm

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Brightnorm,

The smaller profile refers to a smaller OD of the head and power pak. Those with the new clickie powerpaks have noticed that the OD on the power pak is less than that of the LS1 heads. On the smooth surfaces (non knurled), the diameter has gone from roughly .985" down to .935"; a reduction of about .050". The threads and internal dimensions have remained the same. The optics are still stock Lumiled. In other words, as you have stated, the wall thicknesses have been reduced by about .025"

- Don

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by McGizmo:
...In other words, as you have stated, the wall thicknesses have been reduced by about .025"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Don.

Brightnorm

Status
Not open for further replies.