Best bulb for the standard minimag

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
Terralux * ministar * niteize? What is the single best bulb out there for brightness? Do some run longer than others?

Also how do they stack up to the new LED minimag in brightness? I don't like the new ones due to the length of the light overall. I would rather buy a bulb for the old mini mag instead of buy the new LED MM, even if it costs more.

Searchers: Really didnt find anything specifically about this.

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO drop in is going to be as good as a machined aluminum insert that can sink the LED, all the inserts are fairly dim, they either use 5mm LED's or under driven Power Leds, you can set up a carley 1499 bulb or the TL-3 mod both use the same reflector and bulb holder which can be had on Lighthound.com, if you still want to go LED terralux makes some of the higher quality inserts IIRC.

Last edited:

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
z282z06 said:
I would rather buy a bulb for the old mini mag instead of buy the new LED MM, even if it costs more.
IMO, there are much better ways to spend your flashlight dollars than to upgrade MMs. There are so many excellent, inexpensive lights on the market today. I have upgraded many of my AA and AAA Maglites and, while they work OK, I wish I had spent the money on replacement lights. Are you open to looking at alternatives?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I agree that your money is probably better spent getting a new light, I'll just say that the Nite-Ize drop in is probably the worst of the three.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My plain old LUXIII 1 level Fenix P1 made me forget all about my Minim*gs!

And I'm digging multi 5MM LED lights right now over NiteIze or other 3LED stuff.

So I'd dare say you MIGHT be better off with something new. And you KNOW you want to...

customh

Newly Enlightened
This is pretty win, I have one and like it. TLE5EX. Other than that, go get a fenix.

RCatR

Enlightened
KeyGrip said:
While I agree that your money is probably better spent getting a new light, I'll just say that the Nite-Ize drop in is probably the worst of the three.

They're great for low output in a floody pattern that lasts for a ling time; if you're into that kind of stuff:laughing:

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
The most power you can *safely* pack into a stock looking MiniMag is probably the TL-3 w/ AuroraLite kit. The Carley H1499 in 2x 14500s is not recommended.

Same size, but packs waaaaaay more lumens than the crap bulb from the package.

Ingredients:
1) Stock MiniMag
2) AuroraLite Ceramic Socket
3) 22.5mm Glass Lens
4) Aluminum Reflector
5) 2x 14500 Li-Ion Protected cells
6) Ultrafire WF-139 Charger

(2,3,&4 are sold in a pack; I recommend buying only protected Li-Ions, AW 14500s are an OK deal, but If I had to choose again, I'd buy the Wolf-Eyes LRB-AA's instead)

Otherwise, the Terralux MiniStar 5EX (w/ Seoul) and an additional washer between module and body seems the best drop in LED. But yes, there are better platforms altogether.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the MM still offers the best "feel" on any light this size. With that knurling, the shape, ... Then there are color choices
:)
but technically way behind.
Cant type of the Terraluxes but I had some Sandwich Shoppe drop-ins and they were great.
All the inserts suffer from heatsinking but the sandwiches are best here.

Maybe spend some bucks for a good terralux or sandwich for Your trusted nice color MM,
but better get a Fenix (or else) instead.
Immediately forget the MM-Led models.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different tools for different purposes... The 3 LED Nite Ize is absolutely my favorite light to read by. I gently sanded the LEDs with 1500 grit sandpaper and it is nice and floody.

I've had most of them, but I'm just not really a fan of most of the drop-ins. Granted, the Fenix L2D-CE is twice as much $$$ as a Minimag and the 5EX SSC drop-in, but I feel it's about 10 times the light.

I'd also recommend the Inova 2xAA Bolt head and shoulders over the Minimag LED or any dropin... Just a better light except for total brightness.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I've got the older TLE-5:

http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-5.html

I really like it. Colour is pretty good, run time is good.

I also have the ceramic bi-pin holder, matal reflector etc and the TL-3 bulb running on 14500s. Fun light to impress people with ('Dude, I think your mini-mag needs new batteries or something, look at mine!). But not the most useful due to short run time and heat.

gunga

Flashaholic
I got a mineral glass lense from the sandwich shoppe. THink it was around $1.25...

EDIT: Oh wait, same price at Lighthound. Never mind.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
customh said:
How much does a new lens actually help?

I think compared to a brand new perfect plastic lens, a glass lens is maybe 5% brighter... possibly closer to 8%. But that glass lens will stay nice looking basically forever so if you were to replace a plastic lens that had been carried and used for a couple years that was scratched to crap, then I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50% brighter.