Need a nice loud cellphone

bj

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, looking for some real-world recommendations. I'm on Cingular/AT&T and would like a new phone for the wife. She currently has a Nokia 6102, and her only complaint (I think) is that she feels the volume is too low. I know it's turned up all the way. I also know that a lot of phones these days have a sweet spot at your ear where they sound best.

That aside, are there other phones that have better volume? Are there some to stay away from? Looking for your thoughts, thanks!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am happy with the volume of my Blackberry Pearl 8100 on Cingular/AT&T, but this would not be optimal unless she is also looking for an email and web device in addition to the phone service.

cheers

bj

Newly Enlightened
No, she's definitely a person who just wants a simple phone. Heck, she'd probably like a rotary dial on hers...

Only kidding dear!

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the newer phones have EQ adjustments. I have hearing problems due to frequency loss (running a sound board for too long too loud) and the EQ settings help me a lot. I also have to carefully choose a ringer setting that I can hear.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way to to try them. I have had my best luck with any RIM and most Motorola products. My Current BB 7520 (I know.. old old..but will be a World Phone BB soon)

Word of the wise is best to try before you buy!! :)

bj

Newly Enlightened
Manzerick,

Yeah, she probably needs to try some, just wanted to narrow the field a bit.

Ted,

Uh, thanks, I think. At under 50 I wouldn't consider her elderly, and she's not hard of hearing. Just wants something (I'm guessing) that's not as placement sensitive.

Kite,

Not sure if hers has EQ adjustments, but I'll check. I know what you mean about setting it to a range that seems loudest to you based on what particular part of the spectrum you hear best. Worth a look.

Any other thoughts? Bueller?

supes

Enlightened
I've used the Moto L6 and the speakerphone and phone volume on the handset can get LOUD on the Highest setting. My Sony Ericsson Z710i can get very loud(beats L6) on speakerphone and music but handset volume isn't louder then the L6, imho. I've used Motorola, Nokia, Sony, Samsung, Siemens, and I vote Moto is the LOUDEST but your mileage may vary. Sometimes, signal strength and how many bars you have can also affect the volume levels. Man, I need a slider phone...:D

Yeah, like everyone else, try them out at the store.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
bj I didn't mean to suggest your wife was 'elderly' -I suggested the jitterbug phone because it addresses the problem of hearing. If you checked it out you'd see it has a cushioned earpad just to take care of that placement problem. It's not like you have to be old, or incontinent or something to use it..

bj

Newly Enlightened
Ted,

Sorry, my reply didn't come across like it should have. Didn't mean to indicate that I took offense.

I did take a look at it, and it seems like one of those designs that has good intentions, but I'm just not sure I see it selling much. Anyway, AT&T doesn't carry it and an unlocked version would be expensive and a hassle to activate (maybe).

We just keep pushing things to be smaller and smaller, but there comes a point where you start to impact usability. I think a lot of phones are there already. Like you mentioned with the Jitterbug, a feature to set the speaker in the right location relative to your ear would be very helpful for lots of people. But we seem to want bigger displays on smaller phones (I mean I guess we do, that's why they make them that way, right?) and you end up with some teeny speaker and a single pinhole above the 65 million color 50 megapixel display. You may not be able to hear your caller, but you can sure play some neat games!

Soupes, thanks for the opinion on the Moto's, I'll keep it in mind. Like I said, just trying to narrow the field for her.

Again, my apologies that my earlier reply came out the wrong way. I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions, that's why I asked the question.

gromit

Newly Enlightened
A good wired headset may help. I used a etymotic research. It was a little strange, since it fits in your ear. But I could hear great. A little expensive, check for a store that offers a return policy if it doesn't work out.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er22.aspx