Looking for headlamp

Groundhog66

Banned
I am looking to purchase a headlamp for one of my relatives, he is a fisherman in the Philippines. I guess it would need to be light, easy operation and great runtime. Batteries are also an issue, since I am looking for this light to operate at a minimum cost to the new owner. Let me know which direction I should look, all help is greatly appreciated.

Tim

DevL

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight has said they will announce the release a waterproof Cree based 1xAA headlamp in the month of May. Id keep my eyes open.

Groundhog66

Banned
DevL said:
Zebralight has said they will announce the release a waterproof Cree based 1xAA headlamp in the month of May. Id keep my eyes open.

That sounds perfect, thanks for the info.

Tim

ZebraLight

Enlightened
DevL said:

Yes, we will release a cree based headlamp in May. Initial spec are: 1AA, waterproof, aluminum case, small and lightweight, flood beam type, and 3 stage twistie.

George

Groundhog66

Banned
ZebraLight said:
Yes, we will release a cree based headlamp in May. Initial spec are: 1AA, waterproof, aluminum case, small and lightweight, flood beam type, and 3 stage twistie.

George

I look forward to testing one out ASAP.

Tim

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until then I would recommend the Princeton Tec EOS powered by Rayovac Hybrid AAA batteries. You can get a Hybrid charger and 6AAA & 2AA batteries for < $15 after the $5 rebate at walmart. The charger is dumb but it handles word voltage.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Cave Dave just said, it is an excellent headlamp.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
1AA? so this lamp wont be for long runtimes i guess
Think of a Fenix L1D CE - it can run for 25 hours on low with one 1AA (and 2 hours on high). 1AA might be OK if the circuit is good. Two rechargeable AA's weight quite a lot...

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
Think of a Fenix L1D CE - it can run for 25 hours on low with one 1AA (and 2 hours on high). 1AA might be OK if the circuit is good. Two rechargeable AA's weight quite a lot...
yes true you can also have spares nimh on you, i was thinking to buy the apex pro but i read here and its runtimes on prorected crc123 are way too short then i decided for the apex but i've always found the battery case a way too big, i hope this new lamp will be able to run with nimh...

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes true you can also have spares nimh on you, i was thinking to buy the apex pro but i read here and its runtimes on prorected crc123 are way too short then i decided for the apex but i've always found the battery case a way too big, i hope this new lamp will be able to run with nimh...
That's why I didn't buy the Apex - external battery case. I have got a Petzl Tikka XP, very lightweight and small. I found that I really don't need the extra brightness when camping (Apex would be an "overkill"). It runs on 3AAA (I don't like odd numbers of batteries). So the 1AA concept isn't that bad for a camper - in case they put some low-low mode, then it could work for days even on one AA.

cy

Flashaholic
don't know your budget.... best quality headlamp would be Stenlight. loads of battery pack options. stock 2x 18650 sealed pack can be ran for pennies per charge. you may need to change out to a sealed connector for marine use.

check out this miner's lamp using large square li-ion pack. no one on cpf has experience with this light so far, but looks industrial and waterproof. http://www.limn2o4.com/LED_lamp.htm

for an excellent budget headlamp. a good one to go with is Streamlight Argo HP. uses 2x CR123, but 1x 17670 li-ion fits right in for a cheap to run option. I've ran mine for 10+ hours (transmission job) extended use without draining cell. this is an excellent water resistant headlamp for $30 + $10 protected AW 17670 cell + $40 new Pila li-ion charger. AW may have a cheaper li-ion charger option, but Pila charger is the only one I can recommend.

posted a mod on this, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/134811
Argo HP w/li-ion is my go-to headlamp for repair jobs. And my backup headlamp to Stenlight for caving trips.

Last edited:

ZebraLight

Enlightened
We have just finished the testing and ready to release our first product, the H50 headlamp. Here are some information/specs:
- Diameter 18.3 mm, length 66 mm, cylindrical shape
- T6061 aluminum, HA III
- Waterproof
- The light goes out near one end of the case, sideway
- The LED is mounted close to the outer surface of the case for flood type beam
- Dome shaped LEXAN polycarbonate lens, hardened
- The out of LED light output measured are 2.6, 13, 65 lumens (with a non product version inductor). We will measure the out of headlamp light output once our first batch comes out.
- Twist switch, with low, med, high, low, … light levels
- If the light is turned off for more than 5.6 seconds, the light level resets to low
- The headlamp is mounted using a silicon bracket, filled with GID powder, to the headband
- The H50 package comes with another GID silicon bracket with a neck lanyard attached
- We dropped the 14500 support with the H50 model because we had hard time trying to squeeze the complicated circuit into the 66 mm tube (note that an AA battery takes up 50 mm), while still maintaining adequate heat sinking capability.

We will post the photos in a few days.

George
Zebra Lighting