any one here have any faith in amd?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
they sure lost the ball with there newer stuff its use more power then intel and is slower. and even there new addition ati is realy lacking.there stocks haveing been up and down i say only thing can save em is if the new k10 realy is what they say it will be.im useing a amd dual core 6000x2 and it a nice cpu but very hot running

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the early days, AMD would beat Intel in price but not performance. Then AMD starting with the Athlon, kind of drew even with Intel in many regards, maybe even surpassing with some CPUs but their prices got much more expensive and there wasn't as much if any price differentiator between sorta equal processors. Now it appears Intel beats AMD in both price and performance so yeah I was wondering the same thing is perhaps this the beginning of the end for AMD. I know my next new system, hopefully very soon, is going to be Core2duo.

Secur1

Enlightened
AMD has to step up it's game, we can't afford yet another monopoly in the IT business... It's bad for the customer and for progress. Look at MS, it became the best selling OS and we ended up with vista....

havand

Enlightened
For 2007, yes. For 2008? No. I think they've got some nice processors down the pipeline. Their problem is keeping their debt down until they start to make money from them and unfortunately, their debt seems to be climbing pretty quickly.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have faith in any big company.
They are all out to make as much money as possible, and will resort to any method, no matter how unethical, to accomplish this. I especially hate their love for marketing tricks.
They would all screw consumers without a second thought if it'd get them a few more bucks.
This is not to say I won't buy their products if I think they are good; I will, but I won't have a particular affection to any one company (in other words, fanboyism isn't for me).

That said: AMD has always made rather good processors for the money (generally with better bang-per-buck than Intel), and I hope they keep doing so.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Cyris CPU once back when they attempted to compete with Intel in the Pentium market. It was supposed to be equal to a pentium-233 but it wasn't. I wish they would have done more though as mentioned we need the competition. If it wasn't for AMD, there's no way you would see the Intel Core2duo prices as cheap as they currently are.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i belive cyrix is now via but i may be wrong via makes some intersting very low wattage cpus. there not that fast but are intersting

Last edited:

LukeK

Enlightened
AMD will be competitive in the top end again. They have some interesting stuff coming down. Until then, their processors are at a GREAT price point right now.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
In 2007 it's gonna suck for AMD but for 2008 they are going to be releasing amazing new CPUs along with their own chipsets and ATI will be doing the same. Ever since the take over AMD/ATI has been having problems with rejigging the whole company.

rscanady

Enlightened
hmm well my Core2Duo is kicking very strongly and Intel's lineup isnt slowing down at all. AMD wont fold or anything but they have a lot of catching up to do.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i realy think they will go down if there k10 ain t a great cpu this amd 6000 i have is awefull.sure it was only 190 bucks.but its awefulll compared to intel.it is so power hungry.i do admit cool and quiet works but soon as i do intnsive cpu stuff it uses a lot more power.under load my pc uses 200 wattts with monitor idle with cool and quiet its 100 wats intel would be less a lot less i think

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1 said:
AMD has to step up it's game, we can't afford yet another monopoly in the IT business... It's bad for the customer and for progress. Look at MS, it became the best selling OS and we ended up with vista....
I agree with that in spades.

I'm enough of a knucklehead to keep buying AMD just to keep Intel from becoming 'the only girl in town.'

It's about more than performance for me.

Last edited:

WNG

Enlightened
The weak floating point performance of those K6's and Cyrix 6x86 were mainly based on Intel managing to get patents issued for an FPU. The patent was too generic. Often than not, it's a matter of money and politics in this country.

Let's not forget, Intel is no saint, and is not without their blunders.
Like so many other monopolies, they do not want to lose that position, and since losing it, have tried their damnedest to get it back with trying to force specifications and architectures onto the industry.
ATX 1.0 with its silly 'push air into the case via the psu.
The first Pentium 60/66. expensive hot plate.
The Slot-1 changeover.
Celeron processors.
Working with Microsoft to develop cpu serialization reporting/spying.
Socket 423 and RDRAM/RAMBus...trying to corner the market again.
Prescott, Hyperthreading, DDR2.
Early offerings to combat 64-bit AMD cpus were pitiful.
The only true bright spot was the Pentium M. And now they return to exploit it after the P4 dead end.

Intel has deep pockets, can afford to bleed. What we see is a natural progression in any market. Counter or die off.
AMD made deserved shares of the windows pc market. Their product was technically superior, better priced, and basically better marketed. I was never interested in an Intel product after purchasing a 1.8a Northwood.

Price to performance is my yardstick. Having the latest and greatest can be someone else's priority. C2D is a great concept that has come to fruition. Hats off to the development team. Do I need one, no.

AMD imho, made an error acquiring ATi.
Their rise in market share, savy marketing and good timing of releases, should have been exploited further. They started to drop the baton when Intel managed to convince Apple to port to an Intel cpu. AMD was the obvious partner. The marriage of two well-established yet loved underdogs, with fierce loyalty, would have been a marketing orgy.
Apple users aren't caring how things work under that industrial design icon called a Mac. But the idea of associating their faith with Intel is like biting into a wormy apple.
;)
Took some time and many marketing dollars to squelch.
This would have been a niche market that AMD could have really made strides with. Macs would've retained some of their uniqueness against the Wintel hordes.

AMD may be losing sales numbers, but this is still a company with A LOT of capital invested. They will be around for a while. And they will counter with respectable product.
If investors are short-sighted and bail on the company, it'll simply change hands.
Likely scooped up by some Chinese corporation and pump surplus dollars into development.

The whole Vista and C2D/Core Quad escalation reminds me of must buying the biggest SUV each year.
Why?
Gaming may drive the current pace of development, but it's hard to swallow for many non-gamers as justification to upgrade.
It is not the 'killer app' that will forge a mainstream push towards multi-core 64-bit systems.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
I had a Cyris CPU once back when they attempted to compete with Intel in the Pentium market. It was supposed to be equal to a pentium-233 but it wasn't.

I had a bunch of Cyrix CPUs back in the mid-90s. IMHO, they were great chips for the money. For general purpose home and office apps, they basically matched Intel processors at the same clock speeds. For gaming, and other floating point intensive apps, they couldn't keep up with the Intels.

However, a Cyrix 133 cost only a small fraction of the price of an Intel Pentium 133. For a non-gaming machine, Cyrix was a terrific value.

Same thing with AMD back in the day - matched Intel for office apps, but fell behind in floating point. I purchased many K5s and K6s for various systems I built, mainly for other people. These were great CPUs for their prices. Still have a K6-2 450 system that gets used occasionally.

With the Athlon and Duron CPUs, AMD began kicking Intel's *** - even amongst gamers. Too bad they've fallen behind again.

If it wasn't for AMD - and to a lesser extent Cyrix - competing head-to-head with the Intel Goliath, PCs today would be much more expensive and offer way lower perfomance.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I worked at a computer shop in the late 90s we sold a lot of K6-2's, probably more then Pentium 2's because as mentioned a much better price/performance ratio for an average machine. I do recall we had a share of compatibility issues with certain graphic cards in K6-2 systems, but that might have been caused by the motherboard chipset rather then the CPU itself.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
When I worked at a computer shop in the late 90s we sold a lot of K6-2's, probably more then Pentium 2's because as mentioned a much better price/performance ratio for an average machine. I do recall we had a share of compatibility issues with certain graphic cards in K6-2 systems, but that might have been caused by the motherboard chipset rather then the CPU itself.

Yeah, IIRC various AMD-compatible motherboards with Via chipsets suffered from all sorts of compatability issues.

However, some of those motherboards offered unbeatable value if mated with the right video card.

I'm still a big AMD fan and still like Via, which bought up Cyrix IIRC.

I intend to try out the Via low power CPUs eventually.

Really like the concept of a fanless, low power, low noise, relatively low cost machine with sufficient performance for internet and office apps.