industrial safety flashlights

lpcmidst128

Newly Enlightened
I've seen the Rayovac industrial safety flashlights which are orange colored. It looks very much like the yellow industrial one. They both resist oil, grease, water, etc. What makes a safety flashlight different than a regular flashlight? My guess is that they are made for firefighter use or something. Thanks.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that a "safety" light won't provide a source of ignition in a flammable or explosive atmosphere. This can be flammable/explosive gas, vapors, or dust.

I'm not an expert and advise you to check with the manufacturer of any light you're considering regarding it's intended use.

:buddies:

ghostguy6

Enlightened
in the most basic terms it means the light is made of materials that can stand up to chemicals without becoming brittle or soft. They are also impact resistant so they dont spark when dropped. the main thing you will notice is the CSA, MHSA, FM, UL, ect stamp on them as well as some sort of rating like class 1, div. 2 to tell you what kind of explosive atmosphere you can use the light in without having to worry about your light causing an explosion.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the above is true. But a safety flashlight also has a metal retainer around or over the lamp. The purpose of this is to break the voltage supply to the filament should the glass envelope break. It is held in place under tension and collapses to interrupt the positive supply.

Mark