how many lux = assault with flashlight?

tostada

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised I couldn't find any threads on this ... probably just searching for the wrong thing.

How bright do lights have to get before people start getting sued for pointing them at other people?

I still haven't seen anything that compares to the 9720 Lux @1m of a 3D Krypton Mag or the 8836 Lux of a Xenon Streamlight TL-3, but I'm thinking the Lumapower MRV will surpass those, and who knows, we might have 20,000 Lux LEDs before long.

Obviously there's a point where you'll damage someone's eyes. I'm sure there's a point much below actually injuring someone where you could get sued for endangering them if they were driving.

Is there any legislation out there for what constitutes assault? As ridiculous as the legal system is, it would probably actually protect people if there was a law stating something like "25K Lux is assault" because currently people could probably get sued randomly without there being any basis for them to defend themselves.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
20,000 lux = Seoul P4 in a maglite ran at ~1amp IIRC.

As far as the other questions, I have no idea.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Lux III mag was already pushing 13000 lux...Not surprising the latest can reach 20000+.

Some of the multiple emitter ones are slightly in excess of that even.

HIDs can be 50000 to 90000 lux (at 1m) or more. You don't have to wait for an LED to test the 'assault with a flashlight' law :D (Don't do it of course... haha)

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Just a thought,

Rather than setting a precedent and placing a number on this, lets see or wait till we see this number published :)

Is this a missguided idea?

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
I think you would have to look at the intent of the flasher (that didn't come out right..ha ha). I am being dead serious tho.

If the intent of the person flashing someone in the face was because of a crime (ie. mugging, robbing, disorienting for criminal reasons, etc.) then I can see it becoming a law suit.

If the intent was to stun an attacker so you could get away, protect someone, protect yourself, then you would have to look at all those equal force issues that the law has. Did you use excessive force when dealing with an aggravated person, how did you try to diffuse the situation?, was he attacking?, were you in danger of being hurt or killed?, witnesses?, and so on and so on.

I would think it would be treated the same as any kind of "weapon". Be it a golf club, open hand, steel toe boot, car antennae, ashtray, elbow, crenulated end of a flashlight. 7 cell maglight or the like.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about the Sun. That thing is a menace. What makes this danger so much more disturbing is the unpredictable nature of the danger. Not content to with the daily 12 hour east to west path of destruction, some irresponsible hooligans insist on putting out hazards that can actually reflect the blinding rays into the unsuspecting eyes of their victims. Sliding glass windows, reflecting ponds, chromed motorcycles, and watch faces, when will the madness end. Certainly safety from this danger is worth a small loss of our so called "right" to sunlight. Think of the children, the children.:)