PT Switchback - brief review

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for a headlamp but can't decide which type is better for your tasks - long life LED for around camp, low beam on trail and high beam for checking the noise from the wood. You might be interested in PT Switchback.

Switchback is a very ambitious design and try to combine functions of Vortec (4AA headlamp), Solo (2AA headlamp) and Matrix (2AA regulated 3-LED headlamp) into one. What intrigue me is the 7W high beam claim from PT. As I realize that PT has always over claim its wattage rating of their products, I expected the high beam would be in the range of 5W and more or less the same as surge (another 7W light rated by PT). I was disappointed and it is FAR from Surge in terms of brightness and whiteness.

Although I hate PT's dishonest marketing behavior, Switchback is still a very good headlamp many might dream of.

General Design:

The light has a single dual filament bulb and 3 LEDs. The dual filament bulb provide high/low beam and is centered in the reflector. 3 regulated LEDs are located on the top side of the reflector. Without the external battery pack (4 C cells in serial/parallel setup), the headlamp will be powered by its internal 2 AA batteries and the high beam will be disabled. Press and hold the single push switch for around 1 second or two will turn on the light , press the light again will switch from LED/low/high (if external battery is connected). Press and hold the switch for another 1 second or two will turn the light off. You don't need to cycle through all light settings to turn off the light. The light is solidly built like other PT products.

I like its internal and external battery setup. I would put lithium AAs for internal and NiMH/regular alkaline Cs for the external. The lithium could work as backup and the external put into your pocket in extremely cold environment. Besides, you could even build your own battery pack (2 D or 4 NiMH).

Brightness:

LED - it is not as bright as most other 3-LED headlamp with new batteries. However, it will maintain its brightness throughout the battery life since it is regulated. I found that its brightness is more than adequate for activities around camp such as setting up tent, cooking, reading in tent ...

Low beam - for some reasons can't be focused well. I don't know if this is designed in purpose to cover larger area in close range. Since it can't be focused, I can't compare its brightness with Solo. Solo has a very tigh beam.

High beam - it's bright for a headlamp but it's very dim for *7W rated* headlamp. As I mentioned earlier, its brightness and whiteness is far from Surge. So, I compared it with Vortec (headlamp version of Tec 40 from PT) with 3-Cell Maglit bulb and 4 NiMH. With Swithback focused to its tightest, it is only as bright/white as the modified Vortec in the hot spot but its hotspot is smaller than the modified Vortec. If I tuned its hot spot to the size of that of Vortec, it wil not be as bright.

Although I am VERY disappointed with its so called *7W* high beam, Switchback is by far the best single headlamp I have (I have more than 20 headlamps including many of Petzl) especially for its price. If you already have a Matrix and don't want to switch modules all the time, or you have a Petzl Duo/tikka but doesn't want to switch your headlamp all the time or is not too comfortable with Petzl's waterproofness, or you simply don't have the above and is looking for all in one headlamp, you might want to take a serious look on Switchback.

For a single day night hiking, I'd still prefer my Vortec with upgraded bulb. Well, I should say downgraded since the 3D maglit bulb I used cost MUCH cheaper than Vortec's original halogen
grin.gif

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to add that if one of the filament blow, you might have to replace the entire dual filament lamp. The replacement cost might be much higher than regular bulb.

It'd be perfect if it has 3 LED/10 LED/high power xenon setup instead of the low/high beam dual filament bulb.

Alan

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan,

Thanks for the review. I've seen the light before, but it didn't have batteries in it so I couldn't tell how bright it was. I thought it would be as bright as a Surge, but I guess I was wrong. Then again, Surge brightness in a headlamp is a bit extreme, although I'd still want it.

I agree it's solid. The one I handled appeared to be very well built.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Alan:

You mentioned that you have 20 headlamps. By chanch, do you include any of the Black
Diamond brand lights? They manufacture mountain climbing and ski equipment.

Their catalog shows a Supernova model that is voltage regulated using a Xenon lamp that is switchable between 30-50-and 100% power. A superbright led is powered by the same set of 4 AA batteries. There is also a backup led powered by a seperate 6 volt battery.

Their Spaceshot model has a seperate battery pack which you can carry inside your jacket in cold weather. It holds six AA batteries or a 9.6 volt NiMh rechargable battery.

There are three other models, (one is four leds only}. They all have equally impressive specs.

Greg Atwell at Brightguy says he will soon have them on his website.

Any imput from anyone? I am interested in getting one or two for these so information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux Luthor, I agree that a headlamp with brightness like Surge would be too much. As a heavy user of headlamp, I found that low light (such as LED and low beam) serve 98% of situation very well. I was disapointed is mainly due to its faulty marketing information which might cause different user expectation.

Like I said, it high beam is bright for a headlamp but only considered to be very dim for 7W rated lamp.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tombeis, I don't have any BD headlamps. While I have been looking at their products closely, I am not convinced to get one especially with its LED setup. When Supernova released in their web site, I was very excited. However, I think its LED design disappoint many users. For me, LED is the primary light source for around camp (60% to 80% of the time), it is strange to see that BD put LED as only a backup light source powered by 6v battery, not to mention its single LED design. I would DEFINITELY get one or two if Supernova has 3 LEDs powered by its main battery source and take its 6v battery as backup when the main power source is gone.

Compare with Switchback, it loses in its LED setup and high beam. Switchback high beam should be much brighter than that of Supernova. Supernova might have advantage in replacement cost of the bulb though.

Alan

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The supernova only shipped to retailers a couple days ago so no one has probably seen one yet.

I hear that the Switchback 3 LED are the same brightness as the Matrix. Interestingly my single LED Arc AAA is brighter than my matrix. So its possible the single LED BD could be just as bright as the 3 LED switchback.

I plan on geting a supernova as soon as its available and I'll let everyone know of the possibility of a mod to 3 or more LEDs.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right that Switchback 3 LED are more or less the same brightness as the Matrix. I wish they could have brighter settings on its LED as well. It's good to hear that you have a very bright Arc AAA.

Did you try Foresight Designs' Gemini LED mod on Duo? http://www.foresight-designs.com/

I'm very interested in its 24 LEDs but would like to see more reviews before getting one.

Alan

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tombeis:
Alan:

You mentioned that you have 20 headlamps. By chanch, do you include any of the Black
Diamond brand lights? They manufacture mountain climbing and ski equipment.

Their catalog shows a Supernova model that is voltage regulated using a Xenon lamp that is switchable between 30-50-and 100% power. A superbright led is powered by the same set of 4 AA batteries. There is also a backup led powered by a seperate 6 volt battery.

Their Spaceshot model has a seperate battery pack which you can carry inside your jacket in cold weather. It holds six AA batteries or a 9.6 volt NiMh rechargable battery.

There are three other models, (one is four leds only}. They all have equally impressive specs.

Greg Atwell at Brightguy says he will soon have them on his website.

Any imput from anyone? I am interested in getting one or two for these so information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've reviewed the Moonlight at least, in the LED section. Here.

Latest posts