Anybody successfully swap emitters in a Fenix LOx?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Fenix LOP SE but would like to swap the emitter to a SSC P4. Has anyone gotten one of these apart and successfully modded it? I tried to get the head apart with strap wrenches the other day and it didn't budge.

TIA,
-LT

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a nat lod that would not open, gave up and sold it. engrpaul has tried on many and said it can be difficult. he bent one trying so hard.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal Tic,

I modded my LOP SE with a USWOH SSC P4. It was a big improvement over stock.

I got the LOP SE open with repeated heating cycles. I also used two strap wrenches, twisting in opposite directions. The strap wrenches had a tendancy to slip, so I wound thick rubber bands around the light (in the direction that I was twisting), and that was just enough to get the light open.

I was surprised at the amount of epoxy that they used in the head of the LOP SE. I opened a Fenix P1, and there was only a small amount of epoxy. They really don't want anyone to get into the LOx lights!

Good luck with your mod. It is well worth the effort.

datiLED

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link and info guys. Acetone is some nasty stuff when it hits most plastics. I'm wondering what it does to the electronic guts of the light and if it hits the reflector it's probably toast too. I'll have to investigate this further.

-LT

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suprisingly, the head on my LOD just unscrewed by hand with a good bit of force...guess I got lucky :whistle: Time to order myself some emitters :grin2:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I tried an acetone based nail polish remover for ~15 minutes and couldn't budge it. I'm going to have to look into alternative methods I guess, bummer. :shrug:

-LT

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:
OK, I tried an acetone based nail polish remover for ~15 minutes and couldn't budge it. I'm going to have to look into alternative methods I guess, bummer. :shrug:

-LT

My method for heating the head of the light is quite simple. I use a coffee or tea cup warmer. I set the head on the heating surface for 5 minutes, and let it heat up slowly. I grab it with gloves, wrap rubber bands around it, fasten the strap wrenches, and torque away. The LOP SE took four, or five heatings. The P1 opened up on the first try. YMMV.

datiLED

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
nanotech17 said:
My LOD SE SSC P4 mod recipe:-
1.boil the water
2.water boiled - put the torch head in the plastic bag ( heat proof )
3.put the torch head in the hot water for 5 minutes ( make sure you turn off the fire )
4.after 5 minutes take it out from the hot water.
5.once the head torch is cool snug it in the small water hose at each end and twist as hard as you can.
6.this will make your knuckle below your thumb feel sore - so be prepare to flex your muscle :)

This one didn't work even with strap wrenches. Currently making LOP soup: actively boil for 3-5 minutes season as needed.

-LT

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like to mod flashlights and plan on modding more the Bionic Wrenches are the easiest fastest way I have found to open potted heads like the Lop. Rubber straps don`t come close. You can grip without damaging anything if you don`t squeeze to hard. They are awesome for reflector mods as well.:)

Does Lop make good Soup? :popcorn:

Ken:grin2:

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster said:
If you like to mod flashlights and plan on modding more the Bionic Wrenches are the easiest fastest way I have found to open potted heads like the Lop. Rubber straps don`t come close. You can grip without damaging anything if you don`t squeeze to hard. They are awesome for reflector mods as well.:)

Does Lop make good Soup? :popcorn:

Ken:grin2:

I may have to check into the Bionic Wrenches. And it's not soup yet, Elvis has not left the building and there is no joy in Mudville tonight. Soup mode didn't do anything. :ohgeez:

-LT

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not sure how to do it just leave the LO-Ti alone.
That beauty is just happy as any next gen LED on her own.
Maybe someone here in CPF will be able to help you if you decide to send that beauty to them for emitter swap :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L0-Ti upgraded to Seoul is the most impressive AAA light I've made. It's earned EDC on my keychain. For some reason, the output and beam focus is outstanding. I modded one for someone else and it came out just as nice.

For some reason the L0D's and L0P's fall short, I've modded plenty. Perhaps the reflector is tuned toward flood on these.

The last one I modded was a L0D natural. For some reason, it unscrewed by hand.

I used tight, soft PVC rod end-caps for grip. http://www.caplugs.com

As Punaman mentioned above, I had a difficult time with a Natural L0D months ago. If you have one full of loctite you may be out of luck.

I went through more than a dozen Fenix AAA's without problems, only killed the one. :grin2:

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until I'm relatively certain I can crack open the LO-Ti w/o messing it up it'll be a shelf queen that I do not need, I got it to carry. I actually would even prefer it with the LOP's module since I have no need for the Strobe or SOS function.

I've been pretty tied up lately so I'll go after this again a bit later. EngrPaul, do you think that it's the reflector or height of the LED that makes the pattern different? Other than the color of the LED the current light distribution is about the same between the LOP and LO-Ti.

-LT

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
LT, I`ve modded both the Lop and the Lo-Ti. My Lo-Ti has an SSC P4 with nothing else modded. On the Lop`s I have been putting in Cree`s with a cutdown Mcr17XR, FluPic driver and then running the lights on Li-on cells. Much easier to just toss in a SSC P4 in the Lo-Ti since it already has a multi-level driver and the P4 makes a nice beam with the stock reflector anyway. My Lop`s with the Cree (FluPic on burst) smoke my P4 modded Lo-Ti but the FluPic is driving the Cree at 600ma in burst. That is the most impressive AAA size light I have ever seen.:grin2:

One more thing LT. :poke: Buy a couple Bionic wrenches and play with them and see what you think. If you don`t think they will work to open your light without damaging it, send me a PM and I will buy them from you for what you paid plus whatever it costs to ship them to me! And...............

No, I have nothing to do with Logger Head Tools that makes the Bionic Wrench! :nana:

Just an offer and it is up to you. Good luck with your mod! :)

Ken

EDIT: I hope you didn`t eat any of that Lousy pea soup you cooked up! :sick: :laughing:

Last edited: