Sent in U2 for repair and.....

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Thought you might like this story....went to a UPS outlet to ship my U2 in for repair. The guy at the store was getting it ready for shipment (box, bubble wrap etc...he offered to put it in a padded envelope and I almost fainted) and said, "Wow this thing is cool, what an awesome looking flashlight." To which I simply smiled and nodded. He got to the point of labeling the box and pricing the shipment when I asked, "Can I get insurance for this?" He replied, "You only need that for shipments over $100 in value." My answer to that was, "Right....."

I proceeded to inform him of the value of the light....it was funny actually, this young man just stood there for a moment looking a bit pale, eyes glazed over and finally said, "Huh, I guess that is an awesome light."

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, pretty funny. May I ask what was wrong with the U2 that it needed repair?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny! People must think we are out of our minds to spend what we do on flashlights. The general public considers a Maglite to be high end.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL
Good story. Just imagine the stories that may come from CPFers who will be buying a SF Titans.

Elmie

Enlightened
LOL

That was like when I sold my first run Arc LS (with a 3 battery tubes). The very first light to ever have the luxeon 1watter. I sold my set to a fellow CPF'r. When I was at the post office I told the lady the samething. I need to buy insurance. She asked me what the value was and I told her $250usd and she just about fainted....LOL They know me now and never question me on the value of the lights I send out...

I wish I didn't sell it. That was a true peice of history.

ensile

Enlightened
hahaha the poor bugger, he'll never underestimate the value of "awesome" looking objects again..

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
It's unfortunate you didn't have another working one on your person to show him just how awesome the light is. Because now he's just remembering the fool who had the 'broken $250 light' instead of the guy who had that 'amazing flashlight and was getting it repaired'.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 still remains my favorite SF light. I have two and thought about selling one but I just can't bring myself to do it.

:rock:

todo

Newly Enlightened
Out of state dude pulled up when I was setting the 4 sale sign in front of my vacation home in the keys. He asked what I want for it, I said make an offer, Uh.....OK....is it over 300?....I said ya...... is it over 350.... I said.... ya its 350 plus a MIL........ Now thats a Fenix owners story.

:lolsign: :lolsign:

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
WadeF said:
Haha, pretty funny. May I ask what was wrong with the U2 that it needed repair?

While on a jungle tour in Central America, I spent a good deal of time in some very wet weather and a few water droplets appeared behind the lens. Had to do a field repair (real easy huh?) and ended up chipping the lens. So, I sent it in for a new lens and hopefully a seal that won't leak in the rain.

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
RonM said:
Funny! People must think we are out of our minds to spend what we do on flashlights. The general public considers a Maglite to be high end.

Best not to bother, No one will understand :)

Snow

Enlightened
Not to be a know-it-all or anything, but if possible, it's always best to box up your own items. I used to let them do it and always grumbled at how expensive it was to ship stuff. The last couple of times I have found boxes around the house and packaged things myself and saved quite a bit.

Patriot

Flashaholic
RonM said:

Haha!!! Yes, for sure...they do. The kid would have fainted if it had been a porcupine or something similar.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Hahah, I remember when I told my aunt that my light cost $50, she was like "WHAT??" I think telling them the price of a U2 or Kroma could have serious health risks :D