Amazing Little Light - CR123A CREE P4 $15

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I just received this $15 pocket flashlight from KaiDomain, and must say I AM IMPRESSED! It is a simple, single level, twisty light, that is very bright with superb flood and very nice central throw. No rings. Brighter than my JetBeam MkIIx (AA), and better flood than my D-mini. The throw is not quite as good as the D-mini, but still pretty impressive.
I would say that for the price this is a STEAL.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Yeah, Its one of those, I'm not sure what the difference is between those two, other than the name. The one I have has the front twist, rather than the rear twist. It has the textured reflector.
As regards runtime, I don't know yet. I think for a keychain, EDC light the runtime will be more than adequate. Now, I were caving, or backpacking with it, that might be a different story.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Thanks for posting the graphs. I had not seen those.
I ordered a bunch of these for high school graduation gifts. I hope they're durable! :grin2:

Last edited:

zapper

Enlightened
Looks like the difference is one has knurling around the head and the other has it around the tail.

riffraff

Enlightened
Heh, anyone notice the USA emprinted on the side? :laughing:

These Chinese, they so funny! :crackup:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here's the RT graphs to save linking:

P4 RT's using RCR123's

Horizontal 15', EV8 min useful

It's a bit complicated, not tidied it up yet, but basically Cree'd MXDL gives same overall output, but much wider hot flood, so EV readings are lower than the good spot of Cree P4.

MXDL shows the original led RT, cf Cree'd version too.

BTW, I don't consider it a knockoff, it's a perfectly good torch in it's own right.

Simpler version of RT's graph now inserted

The RT graph of the P4 appears to show direct drive using 3.6v RCR123, whilst the MXDL does have a circuit in it, to regulate output more.

Now, tested using 3v RCR123, the output is much flatter, perhaps there is a circuit after all.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Thanks for the runtimes, abvidledUK. 25 minutes to 50% off an RCR is pretty short...

But it is "Free" lumens.

RT with 3v CR123 primary, not tested, but quoted at around 60 mins.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I received my "front twisty" version just yesterday. Beautiful beam to be sure. I'm sure the runtime isn't fantastic, but I use a primary, so it isn't terrible either. For most of my uses it would be more than adequate, especially for the price. However, I won't be selling my well-regulated lights, either.

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
riffraff said:

I heard years ago they named a town in China 'USA' so they could sell their goods to the U.S. with that stamped on them.

Patriot

Flashaholic
riffraff said:

That!!!..........is dang funny! and no...I didn't notice until you said that..lol

taiji

Enlightened
I have one of these and it is bright. brighter than my L1D on turbo high. Did'nt last very long though as it stopped working after around 5 mins of use. Still trying to get Kaidomain to offer a replacement.

dinokay

Enlightened
I ordered and received two, one works great the other flickers like crazy both run hot, worth every penny.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received one today and would like to pass on what I discovered with mine. It would turn on then flicker and shut off. I would crank it down some more and it would be alright for a while and then same thing again. I tightened some more and OK again. I opened it up and looked into the tube. The negative nipple had some kind of coating on it. I'm thinking it's from the anodizing process. I took a pencil shaped grinding stone and cleaned the nipple up till it was shiney. Works great now with just a little pressure. Maybe dinokay and taiji problems are caused by this. Another thing, the negative end of my battery is now pushed in because of all the tightening I did.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I got mine last week, I'm very impressed by it. I showed it to my lil bro and he was amazed by it. He went around the house showing the light to everybody. I'm getting two more one for my lil bro and one for a friend. Anybody know where I could get a rechargable CR123A for it?

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
Nake said:
Another thing, the negative end of my battery is now pushed in because of all the tightening I did.
Good thing just the battery end got pushed in instead of the PCB board at the positive end. There is nothing behind the positive contact point on the PCB to support excessive pressure.

Someone in another thread had the good idea of grinding off the tiny bump on the negative contact pad common to these lights so that it doesn't dent the battery end and also to insure good contact.