Need help with shallow water LED flashlight

Windscale

Enlightened
Recently I have the need for an underwater LED light. I have many ordinary flashlights of various makes from SF to UF. But I don't think any of my LED lights are good for underwater (about 3 - 10 feet).

I still have a couple of PT Tec40s (the earliest type). But I wish to get something LED for improved brightness and longer runtime. I don't need anything real dive lights like the UKE Cannon.

Please advise if there is anything out there which can go underwater (to 15 feet) which is about 3Watt LED (Luxeon Cree or anything else) and which can take rechargeable batts (AAs, 123As or 18650s will all do).

Is there a drop in I can buy for my TEC40s?

Thanks.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Surefire Should do...
Theire depth rating is pretty good.
I dont remember how deep you can go but i think it was waay more than 15 feet.

Benny

Windscale

Enlightened
Thanks. I shall check my SF. I have a couple of 6Ps both fitted with the old style KL3 heads. Will that go down to 15 feet?

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I saw that on lashlightreviews.com (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l4.htm) :
"UPDATE: Surefire has affirmed that all current Surefire lights should be waterproof to about 33 feet/10 meters. Some reviews were posted before Surefire made the affirmation that their lights were watertight to 1 atmosphere depth. Any new Surefire lights you purchase now should be considered waterproof to 33 feet/10 meters."
Regards,

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked.

All new Surefire lights from 2003 and up are good for use not exeeding 33feet/10 Meters.

Source:FlashlightReviews.com

Proper care and lubing of O-rings are needed to accomplish this.

Enjoy ;)
Benny

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think you could drop any of the PR based drop-ins that work on 6v.. Everled, basically.. I was thinking that somebody even modded up a seoul version of them..

gregpack

Newly Enlightened
Just an opinion, but I'm not sure I would risk a surefire on an extended submersion, which is what I'm assumming is about to happen here. There's only about 8psi difference between 15ft and 33ft/1atm.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, greg. Surefire lights are nice, don't get me wrong, but if I was doing something with intentional submersion, they're just not the lights I'd grab. My older X5Ts, maybe, but not a Surefire..

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

pec50

Enlightened
Take a look at BrightGuy and perform a keyword search on Waterproof to get a sense of availability. You should be the judge, but, it appears UK Mini Q40 and PT Torrent come close to addressing your need.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACMarina said:
I agree, greg. Surefire lights are nice, don't get me wrong, but if I was doing something with intentional submersion, they're just not the lights I'd grab. My older X5Ts, maybe, but not a Surefire..

Maybe a Surefire G2 with LED dropin module would work OK.

Other than the G2, recommending a Surefire for this purpose strikes me as sorta like recommending a Maserati for daily commuting and errands. A Maserati might work, but is overpriced and not ideal for those applications.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
pec50 said:
Take a look at BrightGuy and perform a keyword search on Waterproof to get a sense of availability. You should be the judge, but, it appears UK Mini Q40 and PT Torrent come close to addressing your need.

+1

Also look at the Underwater Kinetics Fire model, and the various Princeton Tec and Pelican models.

These manufacturers all make lights that would better suited for your purposes than Surefire.

Windscale

Enlightened
Thank you Lighthouse One,

I shall check out that light. It seems to be the ideal light for me.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
MorpheusT1 said:
Just checked.

All new Surefire lights from 2003 and up are good for use not exeeding 33feet/10 Meters.

Source:FlashlightReviews.com

Proper care and lubing of O-rings are needed to accomplish this.

Enjoy ;)
Benny

DON'T BE SO SURE...I HAD MY U2 IN LESS THAN 2FT OF WATER AND WITHIN LESS THAN A MINUTE, THERE WAS WATER IN THE HEAD BEHIND THE LENS. IT'S STILL MY FAVORITE AND I AM MISSING IT WHILE IT'S OUT FOR REPAIR.