Survey & results: Where do you like your flashlight switch?

frank777

Enlightened
Just curious what the opinions are on where a flashlight switch should be located.... twisty, neck, or tailcap?

Click on the link below to vote and see survey results:

http://estado29.org/poll/poll.php

(Assume a medium-sized flashlight using 2 AA's or 2 CR123's)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For me, it depends on how big the light is. If it is relatively small, AA size, then I prefer a tail clickie. If it is larger, 2c size and larger, then I prefer a side clickie. If it is tiny, then a twistie or a tiny side clickie will work.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small light = Tailclicky
big light = side clicky or slide switch
Tiny light, anywhere clicky (I dislike twisties) I can operate a small clicky I wish they could design one small enough for my L0P SE, id be in EDC heaven.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Gunner12 said:
For me, it depends on how big the light is. If it is relatively small, AA size, then I prefer a tail clickie. If it is larger, 2c size and larger, then I prefer a side clickie. If it is tiny, then a twistie or a tiny side clickie will work.

Everything that Gunner12 said...........except for tiny side clickie.

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
neck side clicky - interesting that as many voted this way and yet there are so few lights here other than Mr. Bulks and Maglights that have side switches. Even a tiny keychain light I have has a side button - it's one of those lights about the size of a AA battery or just a little smaller. I think from a design standpoint though that it is easier/cheaper to make a tail clicky and of course the twisty is the easiest design. So when are manufacturers going to get a clue about what people really want instead of just doing it the easiest and cheapest. Thanks for this survey - hopefully it gets a lot of people in here voting and the builders start listening.

frank777

Enlightened
spoonrobot said:
Tailcap Clicky-BUT PUT A STUPID LOCK-OUT ON THERE!

Agreed, I went cave exploring once, and after hiking for an hour to get to the cave, I discovered the flashlight had turned on in my pocket (hi-beam), and the batteries were almost dead.

Learjet

Enlightened
I like neck switches but they usually increase the length of the light. Tail switches don't as much. Twisties make the light even smaller but I don't like them. Except for the ones you eat. :)

I remember I started a thread like this well over a year ago and tail clickys won hands down.

frank777

Enlightened
Well, so far it looks like a pretty close race.... looks like there is a market for more flashlights with a neck switch.

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
Didn't we already have such a poll?

I think the general result was rather clear:
The prefered switch type and position depends on 2 things:

1.) Size.
2.) Intendend use. (In other words: The type of flashlight.)

For example, you sure wouldn't want a side clicky (such as found on the C/D-sized maglights) on a single AAA-light, now wouldn't you?

Or how about a tailcap clicky on a 3-D (or bigger) sized light? No thanks, eh?
How about a twisty then? Nah? Well, except for hids maybe, since they dislike being turned on/off fast anyway.

You see where im getting at.
Besides for size, you should also think about what type of flashlight it is.

General use (in other words: 08/15 Household light) usually means side clicky.
"Tactical" use usually means tailcap clicky.
Users of Survival/Camping type lights mostly seem to prefer twistys over other switch types.
HID/Searchlight usually means it doesn't really matter, as long as the chance of accidentally turning the light on or off is extremly small, since HID's don't like being turned on and off fast.

frank777

Enlightened
Raptor# said:
Didn't we already have such a poll?

That was before my time....... before I posted this thread, I tried to find such a poll using the search feature, but couldn't find one. If you have the link, I would be interested in seeing it.

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
Dang. Ok i gotta apologize to you here frank.
I thought there just was a recent thread about this topic, but i couldn't find one. And im sure i didn't remember the one learjet posted, cause this thread is new to me too (and the last post in this thread also i before my time here).

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small light - Tail clickie
Big light - side clickie
Tiny light, Tail twistie
Extra large light - Handle mounted clickie or rocker