Recs for a 2 D LED flaslight?

dtc

Newly Enlightened
Is there a good reason to get a 2 D LED flashlight like the Maglight one?

It's the same LED bulb as the 2 AA one right? But just longer longer lasting because it is 2 D?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A D battery can give out more amperage without sagging in voltage. You can drive a LED harder and get more light with a D battery then an AA battery. Malkoff's amazing mods will probably not work on 2 AAs but they work fine on 2D batteries. It's mainly the larger capacity of the D battery that draws people to it.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
And they're solid - aside from corroded batteries, I've never personally seen an issue with a 2D Maglite (aside from out-of-the-box dimness.. ;)

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
I have a SMJLED PR base led in a 2D mag. I don't really use it at all, but it's for emergencies where I plan on staying put. I don't know the runtime on fresh cells, I read it somewhere else and it was something rediculous like 40 hours, and puts out much more light than a paclite or similar long running light.

I keep a Costco 12 pack of Duracell D alkalines, and it should keep me supplied with enough light to make it through any emergency I'd want to survive.

While not very portable, I have others for that.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACMarina said:
And they're solid - aside from corroded batteries, I've never personally seen an issue with a 2D Maglite (aside from out-of-the-box dimness.. ;)

Have to agree on that, NEVER heard about a D-sized Maglite malfunction (except for corroded batteries, but that's not the lights fault). Have anyone even heard of a malfunctioning D Maglite? Funny that mags are considered low quality here, when I hear much more complaints about Surefire, Fenix etc.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Lobo said:
Funny that mags are considered low quality here, when I hear much more complaints about Surefire, Fenix etc.
Mags are simple, lacking useful features such as:

1. Tailcap switches
2. Multiple levels
3. Regulation

Because they are so simple, they are reliable and cheap. On the other side of the coin, they are not as good as SureFire, Fenix, etc. for many purposes.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
dtc said:
Is there a good reason to get a 2 D LED flashlight like the Maglight one?

It's the same LED bulb as the 2 AA one right? But just longer longer lasting because it is 2 D?
I believe the main advantage is the bigger reflector. I have a 3D SSC Flashlight that is just as bright using 3D's or 3AA's in AA to D(1AA to 1D) adapter. The main difference being way longer runtimes with the D's(2500mah vs 10000mah)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny that mags are considered low quality here, when I hear much more complaints about Surefire, Fenix etc.
thats not right!
The machining is perfect, these are the lights used the most as hosts here.
Unfortunately they are so much behind in output and technology, that this is the ONLY thing they are good for now.
(doesnt apply for the MM-leds, they 're plain bad)

PS: its been some years now I used older ones. imho the actual available are much worse --> some unfinished/sharp edges, finish looking *hmm* :thinking: not this good than before, that rubber switch cover fails even with moderate use, ...

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo said:
Have to agree on that, NEVER heard about a D-sized Maglite malfunction (except for corroded batteries, but that's not the lights fault). Have anyone even heard of a malfunctioning D Maglite? Funny that mags are considered low quality here, when I hear much more complaints about Surefire, Fenix etc.

Considered low quality by whom? Mags are considered low quality amongst a certain vocal group of posters on CPF. But, people in that group will offer excuses for Surefire quality problems, even as they wait for the third replacement switch for their U2.

I've noticed an interesting tendency amongst many of the hardcore Surefire KoolAid Drinkers on CPF. Their posts rarely stop at just praising Surefire, but usually continue on bashing some other brand, most often Mag.

My 2C and 2D Mags, several over 20 years old, have led tough lives. Lots of rough use outdoors and lots of banging around in car trunks and toolboxes. None of them have malfunctioned in over 20 years of regular use.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a perspective, I have 8 Maglite products within reach, and I can say the same with Surefire. I don't carry either on a daily basis, but they're here when I need them.

I've personally found that EVERY light has a selling point. Even if it's "I could GIVE this away to somebody in a pinch", it has a function. My Ever-LED-ed 2D mag lives in the workroom, simply so that when my father-in-law comes to visit and wants to check something out he's got a light. My wife knows where my QIII is, and if she's looking for something she'll come grab it. Heck, I've got a cheepie AAA LED that hangs in the closet, so if I'm getting dressed in the dark I don't have to turn the lights on and wake the wife..

Everything's got a use - you just have to find it :)