LS1 Rev2 is now available! Got mine today! *Pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered an Arc LS directly from Arc yesterday 2nd day Fed-Ex and got it in one day!

Then I opened it to find to my amazement that it was an LS1 rev2. Meaning, it has the one piece body and lexan lens for scratch resistance and waterproofness. It also has many more threads and turns on very smooth. I really like the thinner profile! It no longer says "First Run". Instead, it has a "!" sign and says "Caution! HOT!"
grin.gif
then "LS1-2715". Very nice & flawless. It's 400mA so it does not test as bright as my Arc LS 500mA version. I would say that it's 85% as bright as my 500mA version & 75% as bright as my KL1.

The 123 holder it came with is the newer revision for the older LS's (lighter in HA color too). I can tell this because it's wider than the new "thin" Rev2 profile head, has the smaller lanyard hole & it has a much better looking negitive contact point in the bottom. Also, the older 123 holder works perfectly on my rev1 LS body.

The beam is very smooth with a bluish/violet tint & is more tighly focused than my 500mA Rev1, the beam tint makes my KL1's corona look green!

Here are some pics:
ls1.jpg

ls1side2aa.jpg

ls1123side.jpg

Here is a picture of the new 123 battery holder
ls1cr123.jpg

grift

Enlightened
nice. i been wanting that revision but was waiting till it was out. i went to arc website and ordered one as soon as i saw this post. i ordered it w/a 2aa battery config as well.

it will be the same revision u got dont ya think?

Termac

Newly Enlightened
Re: LS1 Rev2 is now available! Got mine today! *Pics* *DELETED*

Post deleted by softhackle

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Sean:
...It's 400mA so it does not test as bright as my Arc LS 500mA version. I would say that it's 85% as bright as my 500mA version & 75% as bright as my KL1......The beam is very smooth with a bluish/violet tint.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sean,

That sounds very much like my EDC SLS (I have four), but I would put it at 80-85% as bright as my KL1, maybe even more because of its superior peripheral light. The beam is very smooth, but white with a subtle bluish tint. I feel very lucky to have it. My most impressive SLS is called "Supernova" for self-evident reasons. It's a 500ma,(one of the"accidental 100") and is remarkably bright with a wide, very bright peripheral spill that floods the room (15' 29'+)
with what feels like considerably more light than the KL1. The catch: it gets too hot to hold and has a short runtime. If not for that, I would consider it as THE ideal very small LED light.

After 6 hours of steady running, my EDC SLS (400ma)is still brighter or at least as bright as my brightest Reactor or Inretech when they have fresh batteries.

I find that one hand operation of the AA version of the EDC is very easy and convenient, especially if you keep it well lubed. However, one handed twist on-off was a bit stiff on one of the AAs, but it finally yielded to plenty of lube and elbow grease.

I'm glad peter is keeping the twist-off as the default.

Brightnorm

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember that there is the 300~350mA version (flat gold positive battery contact pad), the 400 mA version (green board with raised gold pad) & 500mA version (brown board with raised gold pad).

If your EDC SLS is well below #1,000 (#306?) it is running at lower than 400mA so it will run longer and cooler and dim gradually instead of jumping quickly into moon mode. Don't you wish they all had luxeons so effictient?

I'm doing run-time tests right now, after almost an hour it's still running at ~98% original brightness and is much cooler than my 500mA version! It is barely warm, I hope the heatsink is working properly.
wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Sean,

Thanks for the info and the pics! So I was under the impression this was going on but then figured I best hang in and see.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think what you have there is basically an LS2 in terms of PCB, head and design. The only difference that I'm aware of is that the full blown LS2 will have a Luxeon HD whereas this has the low dome. I even wonder if your sample could have a HD? You mention a tighter beam?

If I'm not mistaken, which is a distinct possibility, what you have there is a permutation of Arc that is not identified on the handy revision and series chart that is hanging around here.

Yep, I'm confused. I reckon that you might have gotten a great light at a good price there!

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic
I *think* you're right there, Don. This is effectively an LS2 without the HD. Everything seems to point that way at least. Sounds like you get a great deal, Sean!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is an LS2 except for a LD Luxeon, and I'm sure it's LD. So it's technically a LS1 until the HD gets put in.

Here is what Peter had to say about it:

Originally posted by Gransee:
The LS2 could be squeezed out in small numbers between now and the end of the month but since I am going on vacation (until the end of the month, see seperate thread), I think it would be better if we waited until November on the preview.

In November, we plan on doing a "preview" of the LS2 in small quantities to make sure there are no bugs in the new system. I will post to the CPF when this is ready. The price will be $150 which will include the LS2 head, switchless 123 pack, battery and case. The LS2 will be released in a wider distribution to the dealers once it has been qualified.

LS1
(1w LS low dome (LD) LED emitter driven at 400mA, see notes below for additional features)

The LS1 has the most revisions of any LS model. It started with the orginal 0.9 beta last year, the rev1, rev1.1 and recently the rev 1/2 hybrid. Starting this week, we will start taking orders for the rev2 LS1 preview. This will have the full rev2 system including waterproof (50ft target), AR coated lexan, smaller profile housing (same as LS2 and LS3), raised hard gold contact button, dat2zip designed current regulated converter electronics and compatible with most of the LS power packs.

The LS1 rev2 will be offered as a preview initially for $120. This includes the head unit and the switchless 123 pack. Once the design is qualified, it will be offered more widely. Qualification typically takes a month.

I will be checking the CPF regularly until Saturday and then will be on vacation until the 31st. Mike and Dawn have been instructed to ship the LS1 rev2 preview as soon as it ready.

Peter Gransee
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Sean! And anybody else who gets one of these! I give up on trying to follow the product identification. I thought the LS1 Rev2 was the LS1 head but with the new constant current driver. Sheesh!!!! You know the model that went out with both 400 mA and 500mA boards and a too short thread engagement?

Argh! Bring on the LS2.6 rev3 subchapter 2 with chrome reverse muffler bearings
grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
grin.gif

Run time test is done. I got 2 1/2 hours at ~96% brightness on 2 NiMH AA's. Much longer than the 1 1/4 hours I get from my 500mA light. But the 500mA is brighter.

Beam shots of LS1 400mA, 500mA & Surefire KL1:

ls1beams3.jpg

dark star

Enlightened
I got two of the 400mA hybrids 2 weeks ago (old body darn-it ). I also get about 2 1/2 hours on a set of NiMH - that seems to be the norm. These are great lights ! I can hardly wait to see what the HD white will be like - maybe we can all have one for Xmas.

rodmeister

Enlightened
Thanks for the pix Sean.

Hmmmm...I don't like the new squared-off bezel opening. It looks like a cut-off pipe. Eliminating the sloping, rounded opening of the original LS is a step backwards aesthetically, probably a cost cutting measure...UNLESS, the straight inner walls are preperations for a future version with threads cut into it for attaching beam shapers and filters. That would be great!.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by rodmeister:
Thanks for the pix Sean.

Hmmmm...I don't like the new squared-off bezel opening. It looks like a cut-off pipe. Eliminating the sloping, rounded opening of the original LS is a step backwards aesthetically, probably a cost cutting measure...UNLESS, the straight inner walls are preperations for a future version with threads cut into it for attaching beam shapers and filters. That would be great!.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know peter has a carry pouch for the Rev2 body that will come with the LS2. I think the shape of the lens end is just slighlty less appealing but the thinner 1 piece body has more knurling on it so it's easier to grip, turn on & off. I didn't think I would like it either, judging by the prototype pictures but more I use it, the more I like it.

the avatar

Newly Enlightened
whoa you are so lucky Sean...

the new one-piece bezel looks less cool to me too, but the waterproofing quality is just what completes the ARC-LS !

I really really want an LS2 now (and LS3 too of course)

just one more gripe... how about pyrex lens or even mineral crystal glass ? pyrex / mineral glass on SF C2, M2 / watches look so cool... I think they are more scratch resistent too

maybe lexan has its pluses too ?

W4DIZ

Enlightened
I also ordered one.Hope it ships out today:>
Thanks for the good photos Sean.
David

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I figure that Peter owes me a free Arc by now.
grin.gif

I've been wearing mine hanging from my ID badge and have now been stopped by 12 people asking about it. And everyone of them gets referred to www.arcflashlight.com.

I work in a 3 million square-foot facility and I've been wearing it for only a week so I can only surmise that there are plenty more inquiries coming.

Catdaddy

Enlightened
Sean,
I got mine today and it appears to be just like yours, including the missing section of threads in the head. I thought I had a defective one until I looked closer at your pictures. What is the deal with that?
John

Status
Not open for further replies.