Need Help in Selecting a Flashlight

wonginator1221

Newly Enlightened
Well, Let's see. I'm new here. :huh2:

I got interested when I bought a product off dealextreme.com and was looking at that sites reliability.

I'm looking to find a decent flashlight for general use (e.g. walking the dog at night, power outages, etc.) I have not the slightest clue at what I'm trying to look for or the differences in quality. The closest thing to a "semi good" flashlight I've ever owned is a Maglite. It's probably close to 10 years old now and I'm looking for something a bit more high end.

Criteria:
  • Handheld (portable enough to put in my pocket without a huge lump in my side)
  • <$100 USD but up to $150 is a possibility
  • AA, AAA dunno..
Thanks in advance to anyone that helps. =D

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy wonginator1221, and welcome to CPF,

Hmmmm...... while you couldn't go wrong with the Streamlight Propoly Luxeon, I've found the beam a bit to focused (tight, small) for general use (just my opinion).

I guess I'd have to recommend my current favorite, the Fenix L2D CE. It's a great little 2xAA light with a beam that would be perfect for walking the dog, power outages, ect. Wide enough beam for walking, but enough throw to spot trouble up the road...... with about 2 hours runtime at full output, and 3 lower levels of lighting for up to 50 hours of continuous runtime should you need it.

Let's see.... the light would be around $55:

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50&products_id=195

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm

Then you can pick up a combo pack of 4xAA Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries and a charger for about $25 (Amazon.com). Done deal for about $80-85.

Of course, your needs will vary, so just start reading the review section here and at Flashlightreviews.com... and you will begin to get an idea of what's currently available. But for a quick fix.... the L2D CE will do the trick nicely. :)

George M

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here myself, but FWIW +1 on the L2D CE. I wanted a light to throw in my backpack for hiking and wanted the durability of an LED light. After reading a bunch here and flashlightreviews.com I decided on the L2D CE.

It really is a terrific light. With its various modes it sounds like it would suit your needs well. It's bright enough for walking the dog and with low mode and tail standing ability it should be a good power outage light. I use it mostly in low mode for walking around my house and property. It's bright enough to see where I'm going without obliterating my night vision. And if I think I hear a coyote nearby it's just a quick twist to turbo mode. :)

My only issue with it is that, as my first taste of "high-end" lights, I blame it for getting me hooked on flashlights.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I would agree with derek dean that the propoly is to focused for a general flashlight. I also agree with him on the suggestion of going with the L2D CE. The L2D CE is very versatile because of the multiple levels and a good balance of spill and throw in the beam. If you get the L2D CE you may get a bit of a shock when you compare the output with your maglite because these things are very bright for their size.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D-CE will be a good light to start with. Don't waste any more time, go order one, you won't be sorry :grin2:

frank777

Enlightened
Ditto... it is a perfect balance between size and brightness, and pretty good quality as well.

Katdaddy

Enlightened
George M said:
I'm new here myself, but FWIW +1 on the L2D CE. I wanted a light to throw in my backpack for hiking and wanted the durability of an LED light. After reading a bunch here and flashlightreviews.com I decided on the L2D CE.

It really is a terrific light. With its various modes it sounds like it would suit your needs well. It's bright enough for walking the dog and with low mode and tail standing ability it should be a good power outage light. I use it mostly in low mode for walking around my house and property. It's bright enough to see where I'm going without obliterating my night vision. And if I think I hear a coyote nearby it's just a quick twist to turbo mode. :)

My only issue with it is that, as my first taste of "high-end" lights, I blame it for getting me hooked on flashlights.

Order the L2D CE and never visit this site again. It will wind up costing you lots and lots of money!:lolsign:
I also came here in search of an upgrade to my trusty maglight. I started with the L2D CE, then on to a SF E2E, then another E2E, then a L1D CE, another E2E and finally a Fenix P3D CE. Oh, I almost forgot the SF A2.
You will find the L2D CE to be an excellent choice for what you are looking for.
Fight it, fight it hard, but you will be hooked!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

How about the Fenix Digital L0D which is small enough to put in your pocket and not have to worry about a lump in your side?

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

wonginator1221

Newly Enlightened
The L2D CE looks pretty nice. What's the difference between the P3D CE and the L2D CE besides size? From what i understand CE is for a special LED light, right? So they generally last longer and are more efficient than regular incandescent bulbs right?

Thanks again

Gunner12

Flashaholic
CE just means Cree LED, which is twice as efficient as Luxeons. The P3D-CE has higher total brightness then the L2D-CE. The P3D-CE runs on 2 CR123 batteries and the L2D-CE runs on 2 AA batteries.

LEDs generally last longer then incandescent light bulbs. But a good incan can kill the LED in a brightness contest. LEDs dim overtime and Incans fail suddenly and give out no light.

Last edited: