Did Sanyo 2700's fry my Fenix L2D CE?

CAB

Newly Enlightened
I put a new charge on some Sanyo 2700's using the Accupower charger....and after putting them back into my Fenix, I noticed it was considerably less bright on both settings.

I yanked the batteries and noticed one of the Sanyo batteries was warm...but it didn't come out of the charger this way. I put the beam against the wall, and the center of the beam appears to be clouded up.

Prior to this and with other Sanyo 2700's, everything was fine.

Did this thing just fry, I've never fried a flashlight before?:ohgeez:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Have you put regular, non-rechargeable batteries back in it yet and tried it?

It's unlikely that the 2700s hurt your light because the voltage is so low. I should wait for the battery experts to comment on this one though.

CAB

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I did, I also tried Eneloops and then some Thrifty Alkalines....it looks like a clouded eyeball retina with slightly yellow ring...I'll find the digital camera and snap a photo tomorrow.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The clouding doesn't sound good at all. It's probably toast. How that could happen because of using 2700s........someone else will have to chime in here.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
The L2D will be able to handle a much higher voltage than what your freshly charged sanyo's can supply. Sounds like you have got a duff L2D and it would have gone bad no matter what batteries you used.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
leeleefocus said:
The L2D will be able to handle a much higher voltage than what your freshly charged sanyo's can supply. Sounds like you have got a duff L2D and it would have gone bad no matter what batteries you used.

+1, I'm very sorry about but it seems your item was bad. The nimh's wasn't the cause for the failure.

Best regards

_____
Tom

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Sanyo 2700's in mine and there has been no problems, Did you put the batteries
in the right way around

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would check the voltage of the batteries. I would also put both batteries in series and test the voltages. Then charge them and check the voltage again. It is very unlikely that they produce a voltage of greater than 1.4v, but until you test it you can't know for sure.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe they have reverse polarity protection. From the manual "Please put the battery's anode side towards the light's head. Reverse polarity may damage the circuit". I don't see how the voltage(~1.4 x 2=~2.8V) could have damaged the L2D, people run 14500(4.2v) in there L1D's(same head) without problems.

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sent it back to Fenix or sent an email and ask them. Usually when a battery is hot to the touch it must be a short somewhere. All the best in resolving the matter.

CAB

Newly Enlightened
Steve L said:
I don't believe they have reverse polarity protection. From the manual "Please put the battery's anode side towards the light's head. Reverse polarity may damage the circuit". I don't see how the voltage(~1.4 x 2=~2.8V) could have damaged the L2D, people run 14500(4.2v) in there L1D's(same head) without problems.

I saw that, but I remember putting the batteries in correct and the light still fires up, just not as bright. Lemme see if I can find the camera.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible a good cleaning might help, if nothing is wrong with your light. If the LED is cloudy and dim it doesn't sound too promising.

Last edited: