professional favorite (advance auto task force 2 c) question on upgrade

billybad

Newly Enlightened
I have a professional favorite 2c with a 3 watt luxon and was wondering if this light could be upgraded to a cree or a seoul p4 the light does great now but was wondering if you could uppgrade it and if so what would the benifits be tyfor all the info and great site ty all

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This is a nice light. Still my best thrower. Since it uses an optic instead of reflector I'm not sure what the beam would look like with a mod. Can't imagine there would be much improvement in throw, either. I guess a Cree would be more efficient for better runtime, anyway.

Geoff

billybad

Newly Enlightened
lol yea got good flood to if u take the optic lense off lol but u are right it has great throw was just wondering if upgrade would improve run time or out outthis light is well worth 19.95

effulgentOne

Enlightened
I don't have any personal experience with this light, but a Seoul would probably work better with the Luxeon optic than a Cree.

Also, if you're just replacing the emitter, then putting in a cree or seoul will (approximately) double the output, while keeping runtime the same. AKAIK you'd need to get fancier to improve the runtime.

billybad

Newly Enlightened
ty fpr info I have never mod a light before so thought I would start on this one lol all info apperciated.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
billybad said:
I have a professional favorite 2c with a 3 watt luxon and was wondering if this light could be upgraded to a cree or a seoul p4 the light does great now but was wondering if you could uppgrade it and if so what would the benifits be tyfor all the info and great site ty all

DO IT, I did this with my Professional Fav 3W and it is one of the easiest and killer upgrades you can do. I put a Seoul U bin P4 Star rignt in place of the 3 watt luxeon. WOW made my Luxeon 3W look dim - 2x the output with a wider angle of projection 1.5x the throw. This is a total winner upgrade - ANYONE CAN DO IT - just swap the stars. The optics worked great with the P4. I also put a P4 in both of my headlamps - A Dorcy Super 1 Watt luxeon from Lowes and a Ebay Luxeon 3W 2 level - I just swaped the stars and both headlamp put out a poop load of light. DO IT, you'll be glad you did.

mhubble

Enlightened
DO IT, I did this with my Professional Fav 3W and it is one of the easiest and killer upgrades you can do. I put a Seoul U bin P4 Star rignt in place of the 3 watt luxeon. WOW made my Luxeon 3W look dim - 2x the output with a wider angle of projection 1.5x the throw. This is a total winner upgrade - ANYONE CAN DO IT - just swap the stars. The optics worked great with the P4.

Big plus 1, Ive done the same thing to two of them. Its amazing how much better it is with the seoul. And its so easy to do, both of them took me about 10 minutes each.

billybad

Newly Enlightened
lol you makwe it sound easy lol but I am afraid of my soldering skills lol which are none lol but also does thelight from it stay as white as the luxon is lol I hate those blue tinted lights lol

stevetexas

Newly Enlightened
if you do mod with one of these be careful with the heat. the soldering iron can indirectly heat the "lens" of the led and cause it to opacify. I didn't know this when I did my first mod last week. Fortunately it still works great.

also, try not to touch the "lens" with your fingers or anything else - they are hard to clean...

Also, I had to "clip" my stars down a little to fit - I used a pair of angle cutters or "dykes" to trim off the points of the stars.

(by lens I mean the clear epoxy portion of the LED module.)

Last edited:

billybad

Newly Enlightened
ty for all the great info I am new at this just thoughtI would give it tri lol maybe I want make lite useless lol allso I have lots of rechargble batteries would like to know what would be best kind to use in this light ty

Last edited:

SuperTorch

Enlightened
^ Just get a basic soldering kit. Use a soldering braid to soak up the old solder as you remove it. Then solder on the new one. Look at the polarity of the wires on the luxeon when you take it out and just match back up with the new Seoul P4. You'll instantly have a "State of the art 2C" runing at 900-1100mA. It's very pleaseing :)

mhubble

Enlightened
I just converted a guy to led with one of mine. Heat pump guy came by to fix my AC. All he had was a mini mag incan. He was banging it against the floor trying to get it to come on. So I handed him the AA 2 C with a ssc installed and he went nuts. Spent the next 20 min explaining where to get it, CPF, how to mod it etc. He left here going to ADVANCE AUTO.