My First Arc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I did it. After several months of being on here, I finally have my very first Arc.
grin.gif
I orderded a turquoise one. Now, how do I tell if it's a standard Arc or an Arc EV? I have a suspicion that it might be an EV since on the back of the package, someone wrote EV. How do I tell for sure?

Also, the beam is more splotchy and has more rings than I would like. Is there a way to smooth out the rings? I have some WriteRight but it doesn't look like there's really any where to put some since there's no lens on the Arc. Any suggestions?

Darell

Flashaholic
If it says EV on the back, what's the question, exactly?
smile.gif
Peter wrote that on all the EVs so they could be told apart. That's the ONLY way you can tell them apart. You can safely be "sure." You must have ordered from Arc directly or from TTS since those are the only places that have the EV.

All colors have the rings and splotch - which is why I typically stick with white. WriteRight will certainly smooth it out. Just cut a tiny little piece and stick it right on the tip of the LED, or cut a bigger circle and make a lens out of it. For a permanent fix, you'd have to frost the LED itself. But if you aren't going to carry the light, the WrightRight works fine.

rycen

Enlightened
Another member said to put scotch tape over the head,it works great.Also if it is marked EV than it is.Those were only ava. to my knowledge at TTS and most members report that there is only a very small diff. in brightness with the EV on top.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on. Yes, I did order mine from TTS. So, sounds like I lucked out since I didn't even know that about the EV's vs. standard. Cool!
grin.gif

I do plan on carrying mine...I'll play around with the Write Right and/or Contact Clear to see what I can work out.

Also, I have this urge to buy another Arc, a white one this time...why is that?

I was wondering if the Arc bodies are available in different colors?

Darell

Flashaholic
The only colors that have EVER existed in public are:

black (standard)
natural HA (LE)
blue (CPF Special Edition)

Your choice today is black or natural - if you can find the LE. My advice is to go back to TTS and pick up a nice, standard white AAA. If you like the turquoise, you'll love the white.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Brass...there was a brass one or three, but you're going to have to pry them out of somones ansestors hands~~at the price they went for they are sure to become family heirlooms. Heh heh, how would you feel if your grandma died and all she left you was a brass flashlight? Ok...what I mean is how would a normal person feel?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about getting fancy with the WrightRite. Go to a the corner of the sheet & cut a triangle piece with the points size being slightly smaller than the diameter of the light. Center it over the led & push it down with something like a drinking straw. Neatness doesn't really count. It'll work great & I've never had it come off. TX

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be danged. I just tried the frosty scotch tape idea on the end of my cobalt blue Inova X5T and it smoothed those rings and blotches right out with hardly any change in brightness.

Thanks!

Saaby

Flashaholic
The EV is the "Brigher than Bright" Turquoise Arc AAA as opposed to the "Bright" model. Nobody is sure what "EV" stands for... Elevtric Vehiclespotter? We just don't know...

Darell

Flashaholic
There's EV, and then there's Arc AAA turquoise EV. I guess we'll assume you meant the latter...

Someone, someday will tell us what it stands for. Until then, we trust Peter that it is a brighter rank of turquoise than the rest of the Arc AAA turquoise (but not WAY brighter, BTW).

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Saaby & darell. Yeah, I meant the Arc EV. It only took me a week of lurking to figure out what the "other" EV was, darell. Maybe it means "Extra Vivid" or "Electronica Voluminum".

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must.........resist.........urge.........to...........buy.........another...........Arc
............so..........soon.........
wife..............won't..........be..........
happy...........................................

But, I do gotta try that thing with the straw and Write Right/scotch tape/Contact Clear! Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.